Author Topic: Need Help identifying these tropical fruit seedling plants  (Read 780 times)

RQJESKE

• Zone 8B, Houston, TX area
    • View Profile
Need Help identifying these tropical fruit seedling plants
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:48:57 PM »
Hello all, I just found this site, first time poster.  I'm hoping some of you might help with some plant identification.  I picked up a variety of seeds and dropped fruit from a tropical garden last year and ended up germinating some of the seeds, but unfortunately, my potted seeds got mixed up and I lost track of what's what.  I know that I picked up some Jaboticaba seeds, wax jambu, miracle fruit, bay rum, and probably a number of others I can't recall.  I'm having real trouble identifying the first plant pictured (see the two photos labeled with a '1', that's the same plant).  I was thinking it might be miracle fruit, but as you can see in the other photos I've attached, I think I've identified one of my other similar looking plants as miracle fruit.  Do you have any ideas what #1 might be?  I'm not sure if the top most leaves are supposed to be yellowed like that or if that is just a factor of me not taking care of it correctly since I don't know what it is, and so don't know what conditions it needs.

Additionally, I've included photos of a few more plants that I think I've identified, but was wondering if you could confirm.

Is #2 a Wax jambu?

#3 - Jaboticaba?

#4 - Miracle fruit?

Thanks for any help.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help identifying these tropical fruit seedling plants
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 12:22:52 AM »
Looks like that could be correct. A few young Syzygiums can look similar at that age.Were you thinking a yellow jab? A few have big smooth foliage of similar form.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 05:44:36 AM »
#1 looks like a Garcinia, maybe Bacupari.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 05:47:18 AM »
Yes now you say that I can see it. Good new growth and a bit more size will give it away.

RQJESKE

• Zone 8B, Houston, TX area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 08:57:55 PM »
MikeT, it would be the purple jaboticaba, not yellow.

On that plant #1, in the past few days, a few tiny new leaves have emerged at the crown.  I've attached a photo, and though it may not appear so in the photo, they are a very pale salmon/yellowish color.  Not sure if that helps.

Regarding the suggestion of Garcinia...I had to look that up.  I guess it could be mangosteen, I did try to germinate some seeds, but as I recall, they failed...or so I thought!  Could be one, I guess. 

Pretty sure its not Bacupari.  Never have had that.

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 01:03:40 AM »
Number 3 is Myrciaria vexator and the last one is Garcinia humilis.
-Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk