Author Topic: Night time temperature, main contributor to growth rate?  (Read 2045 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Night time temperature, main contributor to growth rate?
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
I was reading through one of the books that I purchased a while back "gardening when it counts" by Steve Solomon. Its a good book with some useful information, even for those who are more advanced.

Anyway on PG. 37

"For every 10 F increase in temperature, the speed of growth doubles, meaning the size increases from 1 to 2, then to 4, and then 8,16,32, etc."

It is then stated that the biological activity goes on very slowly once the temps are below 50f. I know many have talked about the warmer nights as a main contributor to growth rate. If this growth rate is accurate, it makes me want to get a green house . I have noticed first hand, the slow rate of growth for a 4 month period between mid October and late February in SoCal.

Time to brainstorm ways to increase night time temps passively, besides a green house.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Night time temperature, main contributor to growth rate?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
I was reading through one of the books that I purchased a while back "gardening when it counts" by Steve Solomon. Its a good book with some useful information, even for those who are more advanced.

Anyway on PG. 37

"For every 10 F increase in temperature, the speed of growth doubles, meaning the size increases from 1 to 2, then to 4, and then 8,16,32, etc."

It is then stated that the biological activity goes on very slowly once the temps are below 50f. I know many have talked about the warmer nights as a main contributor to growth rate. If this growth rate is accurate, it makes me want to get a green house . I have noticed first hand, the slow rate of growth for a 4 month period between mid October and late February in SoCal.

Time to brainstorm ways to increase night time temps passively, besides a green house.

That makes sense. But i would just add that it is not only air temperature that is important for growth, but also soil temperature. My guess would be that soil temperature is even more important than air temperature for rapid growth and also prevention of root rot and other diseases.
Oscar
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
Yep, that's why mango cultivars which are considered 'early' in South Florida ripen in November for the Southern Californians. It's also why here in South Florida the 2nd crop of mangoes (flowers in March) can almost catch up with the first crop (flowers Nov), with only a couple week difference in harvest time.
Jeff  :-)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »

Anyway on PG. 37

That makes sense. But i would just add that it is not only air temperature that is important for growth, but also soil temperature. My guess would be that soil temperature is even more important than air temperature for rapid growth and also prevention of root rot and other diseases.
Oscar

Oscar,

I knew soil temp was a big factor, I did not include the section which he talked about that as well. I am using a range of different containers, a lot of them are black. I am also testing root pruning aerated containers. Since I am growing mostly in containers, the soil temp trends closer to the average air temp between night and day.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:15:28 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

stressbaby

• Fulton, MO, zone 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:26:20 AM »
Be careful what you wish for if you are thinking about a greenhouse.

[2 long and boring paragraphs on DIF and thigmomorphogenesis deleted.]

Your payback in growth will almost certainly come at too high a cost in terms of headaches related to cooling and other issues.  It is great for us in temperate climes but it ain't easy.  The GH becomes a mistress.   :P