Author Topic: Marcotting in tandem  (Read 705 times)

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
Marcotting in tandem
« on: November 15, 2020, 11:21:48 PM »

This is one lemon tree I have marcotted. Now I am thinking, is it possible to form another set of roots a foot down? Does anyone have any experience doing this. This tree gives me lemon 365 days in a year.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Marcotting in tandem
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 01:48:31 AM »
Doesn't make sense to me. You need leaves for photosynthesis, and one foot down all you seem to have from the photo is a bare branch.
Oscar

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 07:26:05 AM »
There are leaves above the first marcot. Wont that help? Or can I marcot above the rooted portion? I am thinking that if I have two sets of roots one above the other, the plant will be better anchored. The mother plant which is a marcotted one tilts every time there is rain with heavy winds.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 12:50:59 PM »
If you remove the cambium above the roots to force new roots, nothing will feed the bottom roots when you cut the branch off the tree.

Why don't you plant deeper?
Maybe the dark and wet bark would put out more roots above?
You need some air pipes to keep the deep roots alive when newly planted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
There are leaves above the first marcot. Wont that help? Or can I marcot above the rooted portion? I am thinking that if I have two sets of roots one above the other, the plant will be better anchored. The mother plant which is a marcotted one tilts every time there is rain with heavy winds.
OK, i see what you mean now. I thought you were trying to make 2 separate airlayers. But you're just making one to get better root formation. I've never tried that. But it seems to me like double work, having to make 2 airlayers to get one pleant. Why not just choose a thicker branch to airlayer? That will also give you more rooting.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk