Author Topic: S.Fl The start of 2021 Mango season will be later then late year?  (Read 853 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
I went back on Truly Tropical Chris's website the mango place and saw where in 2020 she started picking mangoes on April 28th. I also see where Dr. Campbell posted that because of the cooler weather slowing down the metabolic rate of the mango trees. He will not be selling mangoes until mid May.
I am anxious to buy some serious poundage of mangoes from South Floridians but I do not want to come too early before they have developed acceptable close to Peak flavor. :)
Any observations or input
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: S.Fl The start of 2021 Mango season will be later then late year?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 09:22:48 AM »
This is purely anecdotal, but I went by Tropical Acres Farms last Sunday, and they were not open.  No, I didn't call.  I just wanted to see the 100-year-old monster mango trees and all the baby trees that Alex has planted. You can see most of the grove from Dreher Park (but a sturdy chainlink fence protects the trees!).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:27:38 AM by johnb51 »
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 09:40:39 AM »
My mangoes are not ready yet here in Miami.  I have pickering which is an early season variety.  We actually had a pretty cool winter so mango season is back to where it should be this year (starting beginning of June).  Before mango season is lychee season in late May.  If you are planning a trip to south florida to buy mangoes I would wait until June.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 10:04:52 AM »
This is purely anecdotal, but I went by Tropical Acres Farms last Sunday, and they were not open.  No, I didn't call.  I just wanted to see the 100-year-old monster mango trees and all the baby trees that Alex has planted. You can see most of the grove from Dreher Park (but a sturdy chainlink fence protects the trees!).
I could see how those very large Edward trees would be like a cathedral to a Nature Boy like you John51
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:07 AM »
I could see how those very large Edward trees would be like a cathedral to a Nature Boy like you John51
I worship at their feet!
John

Tlaloc

• https://www.instagram.com/laloscorner/
    • Spacex, CA 10B and EAFB 8B
    • View Profile
    • Lalo's Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 11:12:31 AM »
My yearly trip to SoFlo will be the end of May, so I hope some mangos are ripe by then. Last year I was told the season was early and I missed most of the oragne sherberts and coconut creams.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 11:57:52 AM »

Fruit Stalker!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:28:05 PM »
Fruit Stalker!

Hell, yes!  But I won't be jumping the fence.  Too many "No Trespassing" signs.
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
HA! I bet we all are to a certain extent. My girlfriend and I definitely drive around to see who's got what growing. We don't steal, though. But funny enough, a couple times we've asked what kind of mango tree someone has, and they said they didn't know but offered for us to come back and try them when they're ripe.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 03:49:50 PM »
HA! I bet we all are to a certain extent. My girlfriend and I definitely drive around to see who's got what growing. We don't steal, though. But funny enough, a couple times we've asked what kind of mango tree someone has, and they said they didn't know but offered for us to come back and try them when they're ripe.
I've been doing it since I was a kid.  Never stole fruit.  I've had people say pick all the Hachiya persimmons you want, we don't like them.  Are you kidding me??  The only time someone got mad is when I picked about two dozen Fuerte avocados and offered them some of them back.  They said, "Hey, we told you you could have a few!"
Sorry to hijack your thread, bo!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 04:24:30 PM by johnb51 »
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 07:08:46 PM »
We’ve been eating mangos for a month. Sold a few here and there too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk