Author Topic: Most disease resistant mangoes for west Broward county FL  (Read 2187 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Most disease resistant mangoes for west Broward county FL
« on: January 18, 2022, 01:52:27 PM »
Hi all. Im out west in Broward county (SE FL). As I understand it, mangoes are more disease prone when out west. I'd like to increase my chances of success by planting the most disease resistant mangoes possible. I believe that pickering makes the list. Are there any other mangoes that are particularly good to grow from a disease resistance perspective?
Thanks

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Most disease resistant mangoes for west Broward county FL
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 03:20:44 PM »
You might want to take a look at descriptions on Tropical Acres website.  https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

He occasionally will mention if a variety was successful inland on their Locahatchee farm which could be a good indicator for you.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
You might want to take a look at descriptions on Tropical Acres website.  https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/mangos

He occasionally will mention if a variety was successful inland on their Locahatchee farm which could be a good indicator for you.

Thanks. This confirmed my belief that pickering was a good choice. This also knocked some other contenders off of my list: peach cobbler, fruit punch, and venus.

Orange sherbet and honey kiss seem promising, but there wasn't anything definitive noted on that website. It is positive that there were no negatives noted in terms of disease proneness.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 04:17:45 PM »
For late-season Neelam is precocious and very disease resistant and has the West Indian profile. As far as the Citrus profile I think lemon meringue would be your best bet. Indo-chinese hybrid sweet tart is Top tier
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 04:39:56 PM »
For late-season Neelam is precocious and very disease resistant and has the West Indian profile. As far as the Citrus profile I think lemon meringue would be your best bet. Indo-chinese hybrid sweet tart is Top tier

I've never tried Neelam, but I'm a big fan of mallika, so maybe I would like it. Lemon meringue is great; a bit bitter by the skin for my liking, but great flavor. I enjoy sweet tart, but it isn't at the top of my list. I may roll the dice with a Neelam, but if I can't find, go with lemon meringue.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 05:09:25 PM »

I've never tried Neelam, but I'm a big fan of mallika, so maybe I would like it. Lemon meringue is great; a bit bitter by the skin for my liking, but great flavor. I enjoy sweet tart, but it isn't at the top of my list. I may roll the dice with a Neelam, but if I can't find, go with lemon meringue.
I ate quite a few Lemon Meringue last summer, as I had access to a tree that the owner didn't pick the fruit of.  I found very few that were bitter by the skin.  Most did not have this problem.  The tree isn't given any special care and is ignored for the most part.  (Isn't Mahachanok considered very disease resistant?  It has a very pleasing flavor but isn't in the flavor-bomb category.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:00:51 PM by johnb51 »
John

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 05:17:43 PM »

I ate quite a few Lemon Meringue last summer, as I had access to a tree that the owner didn't pick the fruit.  I found very few that were bitter by the skin.  Most did not have this problem.  The tree isn't given any special care and is ignored for the most part.  (Isn't Mahachanok considered very disease resistant?  It has a very pleasing flavor but isn't in the flavor-bomb category.)

I'm not a fan of Mahachanok at all. My PPK experience could have been out of the ordinary. The second one I had last season I didn't get much bitterness from, but I was more cautious around the skin trying to avoid it. It's an excellent mango. I am planting only 2 mango trees. So between PPK and pickering, I should have good disease resistance, but I think they're both early-mid, so not ideal.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 05:35:54 PM »
If you like Malika then you might want to consider Sonpari. All the Indian hybrids are very disease resistant
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »
Unless of course we can talk you into grafting and you can add a second variety to each of your trees, so you have 4 varieties and can better span seasons (and taste profile).

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 05:48:26 PM »
You could probably add Glenn and Valencia Pride to that list

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 06:17:50 PM »
You said you were a fan of mallika
I have a mallika and it fruits every year without spraying
It does not taste like neelam and is a mid season like pickering.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 06:46:09 PM »
I'm in western Broward and if I had to choose one it would be CAC
No disease issues at all.

I'm less than a mile from the Sawgrass expressway

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 07:49:01 PM »
If you like Malika then you might want to consider Sonpari. All the Indian hybrids are very disease resistant

I've never heard of it, but I will look into it. I don't recall ever seeing this variety at a nursery.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 07:50:36 PM »
Unless of course we can talk you into grafting and you can add a second variety to each of your trees, so you have 4 varieties and can better span seasons (and taste profile).

I can easily be talked into such a thing  :P
But I'm having a hard enough time finding 2 rockstar varieties (in terms of disease resistance) much less 4!
Since PPK and Pickering produce around the same time... Any ideas as to which is more disease resistant? Pickering has such a strong reputation as a disease resistant variety that I've had my mind set on it for so long. But if higher quality mangoes like PPK are just as disease resistant, that will lead me to change my mind for sure.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:52:46 PM »
You could probably add Glenn and Valencia Pride to that list

VP is too vigorous for the space/my desire to keep up with it. Though Glenn is a great idea. A nice classic mango flavor. So I can do Glenn for early and then Pickering or PPK for mid. Then I've got my jackfruit for late :)

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 07:53:37 PM »

I've never tried CAC, but read forum members speak fondly of it. Any ideas where I could find a tree? Are there any other varieties you have in the ground that perform well in terms of disease resistance?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 08:47:08 PM »

Neelam actually doesn’t taste like Mallika at all. Very different flavor. But it does perform very well in humid conditions.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:43 AM »

Neelam actually doesn’t taste like Mallika at all. Very different flavor. But it does perform very well in humid conditions.

Thanks. I don't know if I'd be able to find Neelam anyway. I've settled on Glenn and Pickering. Heard great things about both and Glenn, although I've never tasted it, seems like a good classic tasting mango. I can buy the more exquisite stuff.

Thanks everyone who commented for your help. I appreciate it!

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »

I've never tried CAC, but read forum members speak fondly of it. Any ideas where I could find a tree? Are there any other varieties you have in the ground that perform well in terms of disease resistance?

Neelam, cogshall, Angie, Glen, Edward, fruit punch, zinc.
Actually pretty much everything I have is pretty good in terms of disease resistance.
Only thing that wasn't that good was keitt, and NDM

I do think there is a distinction between West coral springs and like Southwest ranches. There's is a lot of asphalt and not much open forested land so the humidity is not as bad.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 07:22:09 PM »
Glad you have selected your two.  Now give it a couple of years and you should be looking to graft two varieties, one on each to get to 4 varieties.  For that to happen, just stay on the forum.  There is a wild rush to graft as we get to summer and if you resist for the first year, I am sure you wont in the second :)

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2022, 07:51:05 AM »

Neelam, cogshall, Angie, Glen, Edward, fruit punch, zinc.
Actually pretty much everything I have is pretty good in terms of disease resistance.
Only thing that wasn't that good was keitt, and NDM

I do think there is a distinction between West coral springs and like Southwest ranches. There's is a lot of asphalt and not much open forested land so the humidity is not as bad.

I'm in plantation (not acres) with plenty of asphalt as well. That's an interesting thought. There are plenty of mango trees in my neighborhood and, as far as I can tell, they don't get much maintenance (but I don't know for sure). Now that I know that fruit punch does well for you out west, you're making me reconsider my two choices! (Glenn and Pickering)

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2022, 10:13:31 AM »
I'm not sure about the long-term disease resistance of FP but its one of my favorites, i figure when/if it gets terrible MBBS on the fruits I'll start top working it to something else.
My Keitt tree is less than twenty feet away and gets MBBS occasionally but the FP is not bothered ...for now.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2022, 12:08:35 PM »
I'm not sure about the long-term disease resistance of FP but its one of my favorites, i figure when/if it gets terrible MBBS on the fruits I'll start top working it to something else.
My Keitt tree is less than twenty feet away and gets MBBS occasionally but the FP is not bothered ...for now.

I won't take the chance. Instead, I'll just head up to Coral Springs for some fruit punch ;)

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2022, 04:10:19 PM »

I won't take the chance. Instead, I'll just head up to Coral Springs for some fruit punch ;)

You're welcome any time

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2022, 12:20:04 PM »
I think that Duncan is one of the most disease resistant trees you can get. Although I would probably try to taste whatever you are thinking of getting beforehand. You are only planting two trees, you better like them after waiting years to fruit! Pickering is a great little tree, but I don't really like the flavor. There are so many better mangoes out there. Also, I would probably go with an Orange Sherbet as an all around tree before the Lemon merengue, if you are looking for that citrus flavored mango.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk