Author Topic: I can't taste fruit  (Read 1845 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
I can't taste fruit
« on: January 26, 2022, 11:43:52 AM »
Yep, Covid stole my ability to taste fruit. It started with a Publix Jackfruit I tackled. I thought, before slicing it up, "man, I can't smell this thing?!" I got some hints here and there of the juicy fruit gum taste I love, but for the most part, it had no taste. Then it dawned on me, I can't taste. That was a few weeks ago, and my taste comes and goes, but mostly I can't taste sweet things and cold things. I know people whose taste changed to the point where they can't drink coffee anymore because it now smells and tastes like an ashtray. Fortunately, when I *am* able to taste, things taste as they did prior to Covid. But goodness gracious, my taste better come back by mango season! Anyone else lose their taste? Anyone who lost their taste but got it back?? I need hope here!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: I can't taste fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 11:59:40 AM »
Losing my sense of smell and taste was my strongest motivator to avoid getting COVID and to get vaccinated. I have had several friends who had COVID and their sense of taste and smell has not recovered - most people report issues with garlic and strong flavors like onions. On the positive side, almost everyone I know who has lost their sense of smell and taste has had it come back normally after 2-3 months.

Being that you are normal "sometimes" I would wager after awhile it will come back fully and you won't have an issue going forward. Good luck and my condolences.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:27:18 PM »
try some miracle berries, I feel like they may be advantageous to regaining taste

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 12:34:44 PM »
Whole family had it this month.  All had the same symptoms and none lost the smell.  It sucked for a day or 2 but pretty much a nothing burger.  Never stopped going outside and working etc.  Never took the jabs or any kind of treatments.  "They" say the new version doesn't cause loss of taste or smell.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 12:37:06 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 12:50:32 PM »
Miracle Fruit sounds like an interesting approach! I wish I had some to see if it helps. I actually was vaccinated and was coming due for the booster when I got Covid. I pass no judgement on anyone regarding what they decide to do re: vaccines. I know people who got Covid prior to vaccines being available and had nothing more than a headache for a day. I know people who have been hospitalized and people who have died from Covid. I just want to be able to taste mangos and Jackfruit and coffee again.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 12:55:54 PM »
Maybe try a neti pot with saline to flush out any residual gunk.  If you can stand it.  I personally hate using it but I know it works. 

It may not help though, the loss of taste and smell is said to be a systemic autoimmune reaction where your immune system attacks the infected areas and does damage to the taste and smell cells.  It may just take some time to come back naturally.

Good luck with the recovery, sorry you have to deal with that.
Brad Spaugh

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 01:46:04 PM »
Omicron is now he dominant variant but delta is still around. It can take months for smell and taste to return.

Nick C

• New Jersey Zone 7A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 04:51:49 PM »
Just got over it a couple weeks ago. Lost my sense of smell for a day and like 50% my sense of taste for 2 days. It was weird. I could taste some things and others not at all.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 07:02:47 PM »
When i had covid things tasted slightly bitter the first few days and was always tired and never recovered if i slept it felt worse...Lasted like 2 weeks and totally went away like in one month. omicron i only felt these symptoms for half a day then spent a full day sleeping and it went away...after this 3-4 days with heavy mucus. it's all long gone, my tip is eat one pear and one orange daily, salads, some garlic, ginger teas, avoid junk food while you have this, sleep if you can, walk if you don't feel tired.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 07:04:25 PM by digigarden »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 08:04:15 PM »
i had covid Lasted like 2 weeks and totally went away like in one month. omicron i only felt these symptoms for half a day then spent a full day sleeping and it went away...after this 3-4 days with heavy mucus. it's all long gone, my tip is eat one pear and one orange daily, salads, some garlic, ginger teas, avoid junk food while you have this, sleep if you can, walk if you don't feel tired.
Tips: 1. Get vaccinated and booster 2. Loose weight if Obese 3. If you know you have health issues like heart disease, immune system deficiency, diabetes, respiratory system problems, or old age and not super healthy or lucky.... wear a mask, wash hands, do not touch your face/nose except for shower etc.

I had covid before vaccines were available and have since gotten all vaccines & boosters allowed for my age group and will gladly get more when available as I do no like to waste a few days passing the less virulent omicron or even the seasonal flu. I have had the seasonal flu vaccine also and am considered healthy normal weight for my age group but I still prefer getting all preventative vaccine shots.

I do believe a person should have their choice to end their life if desired and am against forced vaccine mandates. I believe each should make their own health decisions without being forced by gov't or their job.

Only suggestion for lose of smell.... I heard one could use essential oils to stimulate the receptors.. Ex. spearment, clove, anise, etc. etc. etc.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
Nice tips.

I have never been vaccinated, my family is against it so i didn't even try.  I'm big fat/but also very strong so i walk a ton it works for me. As i get older now 42 need to lose some weight to prevent a heart attack, my dad, grandad,greatgrandpa all of them died of a heart related issue(eventually) .The mask and wash hands yeah it's something i always do :)

If people want to vaccinate go ahead. Since already got the natural defenses for surviving delta and omicron i will take my chances. My biggest issue is that i don't want to take a vaccine over and over again then you can still transmit this and there's actually a chance of dying from the vaccine itself so that's not for me.

The loss of smell symptom never had that one for some reason.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 08:55:54 PM »
Nice tips.

I have never been vaccinated, my family is against it so i didn't even try.  I'm big fat/but also very strong so i walk a ton it works for me. As i get older now 42 need to lose some weight to prevent a heart attack, my dad, grandad,greatgrandpa all of them died of a heart related issue(eventually) .The mask and wash hands yeah it's something i always do :)

If people want to vaccinate go ahead. Since already got the natural defenses for surviving delta and omicron i will take my chances. My biggest issue is that i don't want to take a vaccine over and over again then you can still transmit this and there's actually a chance of dying from the vaccine itself so that's not for me.

The loss of smell symptom never had that one for some reason.

Household 4 adults (2 adult kids bring all kinds of goodies home after staying out 3AM most nights). All 4 of 4 got covid before vaccines available....
I'm the only 1 of 4 that choose to get the regular covid vaccines and then the booster... I'm also the only 1 of 4 that did NOT get the omicron wave infection recently. None of the 4 needed hospitalization either time.
The younger adult kids handled both virus infections much better than their mother who choose not to get the vaccines but she just stayed in bed longer at home.

Increased weight puts a strain on the heart to pump to more areas since more mass with often more fat buildup in vessels making more resistance.

Good job walking for health.

Life is a chance. Dying is inevitable just unknown as to when. But, I try to lower my odds of it being today, tomorrow, etc.

My family members all make their own choice... I only give my opinion...

I love the old battle crys, Give me Liberty or give me Death....

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 03:24:25 AM »
Losing my sense of smell and taste was my strongest motivator to avoid getting COVID and to get vaccinated. >>SNIP<<

WOW!!! Death wasn't enough of a motivator? Now THAT's a fruit lover!!!

I'm vaccinated against everything BUT COVID :-)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:25:58 AM by gnappi »
Regards,

Gary

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 06:39:40 AM »
I caught something around Thanksgiving and it went for a couple of weeks. Pretty mild, just tired. Did lose taste and smell. Taste is back but smell is still a bit weak. You'll be fine. D

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 09:24:16 AM »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »
Losing my sense of smell and taste was my strongest motivator to avoid getting COVID and to get vaccinated. >>SNIP<<

WOW!!! Death wasn't enough of a motivator? Now THAT's a fruit lover!!!

I'm vaccinated against everything BUT COVID :-)

Being that I'm fairly young, death was not a likely outcome for my age group - loss of smell and taste happened to several friends of mine, especially those who got it early before vaccinations were available.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 11:08:47 AM »
I lost my sense of smell with Delta back in November, which also effected my taste (to a certain extent). I love to cook, so it was super-frustrating; I did some research and listened to some podcasts, came away with the conclusion that I could speed things along if I did some smell/taste exercises to help my brain. Wasn't anything crazy, a time or two each day I would take a bag of coffee or a sliced lemon and breath deeply with my nose right up in/to it. As I was doing the deep breaths in, I tried to remember exactly what it smelled like (*importantly* - the sensation in my brain of the smell, not the words one uses to describe it). It took about a week, but one day I was big-whiffing on the coffee and I got the faintest hint of the real smell. I kept at it and, after a few more days, it was mostly back. It's your taste, not your smell, but I think the same process could be useful (focusing on the taste sensation/memory as you smell it).

I'm not saying it's a for-sure thing, but my wife also lost her smell at the same time and it was out for weeks after I regained mine (she didn't do any exercises).
Doesn't have to be coffee or lemons, just something you are super-familiar with that also has a very strong taste/odor.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
Thanks for all the replies and encouraging words and tips--I was hoping to get hope that my taste and smell will return, but not have any contentious debates outside of that. As I mentioned, people I know have had their taste change, and others said it took many months for their taste to return somewhat, and that's scary info when you love fruit and can't taste it. Yes, everyone is different, and I do feel more hopeful thanks to people here who understand love of fruit.

I did read in some of the articles posted on the interwebs that people are actually losing their smell moreso than taste. That ain't true for me. I can now smell, but still can't taste most things. It's weird to eat a briny olive when you can't taste salt . . .

Thanks again for the encouraging words and tips!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2022, 08:35:44 AM »
When i passed covid i also could not sence taste or smell , i still think that both of theese senses do not work for me on a 100% now ,several months after.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2022, 06:28:39 PM »
My taste has come back somewhat, but everything tastes the same and tastes bad.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 07:35:06 PM »
Had the covids pretty badly back in July. Beat me up for about 2 weeks and my wife a week or so longer than that. Strange array of symptoms for sure. At a week in I suddenly couldn't breathe one day badly and feared death most of that day and partially for the next 2 days. Toughed it out without hospitalization. I'm more afraid of them than death for various reasons. Did loose smell entirely for about 5 days and taste heavily altered for about the same time frame. Did come back to full normal as it cleared up in general. Others I know have gone months without regaining normal smell and taste and one guy after recovering fully for awhile then all of a sudden certain things smell like an ash tray and gasoline. Otherwise he's all good just those senses messed up.

On a side note thanks to all you whom used your freedom choice to do as you saw fit for yourself but still completely respect others who wouldn't make that same choice for themselves. That's America and that's the freedom of choice and respect we should all share and encourage despite philosophical differences. We need that mentality more than ever right now.
Trying to grow it all!