Author Topic: Pitomba  (Read 1219 times)

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Pitomba
« on: March 27, 2022, 10:55:59 PM »
We picked up a Pitomba today in a trade.  Can anyone tell me how long before we can expect it to flower?  Originally from Pine Island but I am unsure if the nursery or just the general location. 🤔 

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Pitomba
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 09:55:13 AM »
Mine were around 3 years old when they started blooming.
Looks like you're off to a good start...

Kevin

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 12:11:57 PM »
Mine are that size, and presumably from Pine Island. They flowered this year already and had flowers last year when I picked them up.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »
Mine are budding-up right now...

Kevin

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 12:57:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I will be up potting soon.  Hoping to see some flowers but this one hasn't flowered yet. 

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:19 PM »
My experience is they kind of take a break from flowering or get stressed out of setting if you up pot. Had that experience last year. Had flowers and buds on it, up potted, they all fell off. Maybe wait till post flowering time before you do so?

StelaG

• Central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 09:43:37 PM »
Ok thanks, I will wait to see if it sets some flowers. 

Dirt Diva

• Houston, Tx 9A
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel for the DivingTemptress
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi Stela,
Yours is peeling, and that is a good sign that flowers will be coming soon. I bought my pitomba with fruit on it, so not sure how long you will have to wait. Have also been told that the fruit improves as the tree matures, so don't get discouraged if the 1st fruits are not too tasty ... mine are delicious!

Happy Gardening!
P J, the Dirt Diva
P J, the DivingTemptress and Dirt Diva

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2022, 08:34:03 AM »
What sort of Ph does Pitomba need? And what is the best fertiliser?

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2022, 08:06:59 PM »
I’ve only been getting 1-5 fruit/ year for last couple years, it fruited after 2 years in ground and was a medium sized 3gal pot tree at planting. 

Unfortunately, I’ve yet to try the fruit, but birds and/or squirrels have. 

Will love to hear if anyone has tips to get these things to go off.  Mine is full sun and sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t have been happier in part shade.  Zone 10a, FL.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2022, 09:44:42 PM »
I’ve only been getting 1-5 fruit/ year for last couple years, it fruited after 2 years in ground and was a medium sized 3gal pot tree at planting. 

Will love to hear if anyone has tips to get these things to go off.  Mine is full sun and sometimes I wonder if it wouldn’t have been happier in part shade.  Zone 10a, FL.

I have mine in full sun. Seems happiest there. I recommend using jewelry bags for fruit you want to try but keeps getting hit by birds. Works perfect. Don't know how it'll hold up for a determined squirrel.

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 11:20:27 PM »

I have mine in full sun. Seems happiest there. I recommend using jewelry bags for fruit you want to try but keeps getting hit by birds. Works perfect. Don't know how it'll hold up for a determined squirrel.

For sure, I’m going to protect at least a few next time so I can try it. 

Next to nothing stops a determined squirrel, but I feel like they have so many options they tend to let stuff be if I make it too much work.  I’ve seen chewed bags and container pics posted tho, so I’m sure I could be had by a squirrel who really had sights set on a pitomba. 

JF Paso

• Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 09:21:52 AM »
My experience is that adequate watering from flowering to harvest is key to producing and holding fruit.  This bush/tree can sulk when it doesn't get enough water. I have it planted on the north side of the house, mulched and use osmocote since it gets regular watering.  This year it was covered with so much fruit that neither the birds or squirrels could dent it.  Not sure if the cold snaps contributed to the heavy fruit production.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk