Author Topic: Planting Grimal Jaboticaba in Ground(seeking recommendations)  (Read 732 times)

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
Planning on putting “Grimal” in ground it has fully rooted out in 15 gallon. My plan is to amend the native sandy soil in10’x10’  space with 9cubic ft of peat moss, some composted horse n cow manure, and dusting of bone and blood meal. All this mixed in thoroughly with top 2 ft of soil.
Are there any other amendments i should use?

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
Re: Planting Grimal Jaboticaba in Ground(seeking recommendations)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 12:40:11 PM »
I used vegan acid fertilizer, bat guano, worm compost and langbeinite and completely excavated soil from a trench about 2 ft deep substituting it with peat/compost for jabos. Didn't mix in any soil, mulched with pine nuggets. My red is the only one fruiting so far and the berries are large and fruits non-stop. but grimal that was in quite a beat up condition leafed up pretty well. The other ones bushed up a lot as well and have overgrown into the path. Hope to get grimal to flower after all these rains. I don't irrigate, they are on their own water-wise but still went through winter without dropping a leaf.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »
I have very alkaline former seabed sandy soil here in CA. I amended it with just chicken manure and mulch on top and not the hole. Popped a 1g grimal seedling in and it's happy as a clam. I think they are one of the most adaptable cultivars of jabo, especially regarding PH, and you may be overthinking your planting. I recommend against amending soil so much, and especially the use of peat as it can become hydrophobic over time.

At most I amend the hole with 50% foreign material. Lately I've just been digging into the sandy soil, plopping the plant in, and dressing manure up top. Works a treat.

Others in FL may chime in with more experience, just expressing how it's been for me here. I have been genuinely blown away by how fast it's growing.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 03:23:12 PM »
Holly Tone appears to work well with jabos, and might be particularly helpful when planting in more alkaline soil.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 06:20:11 PM »
Holly Tone appears to work well with jabos, and might be particularly helpful when planting in more alkaline soil.

I use it in my pots here to combat the high PH water and fertilize as well. It's good stuff for jabos and eugenia. I have not used Hollytone in my native alkaline soil and stopped acidifying my grimals. They are not PH sensitive the same as other cultivars I have noted. It's the best bet for CA, that's for sure.