Author Topic: Best mangos of this season  (Read 6140 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Best mangos of this season
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2022, 03:17:13 PM »

I’d have to say sweet tart…cac was pretty good also but some tasted bad it just depended on ripeness
Honey kiss hit well
As well as m-4 probably my favorite one although not sweet as sweet tart

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:46 AM »
Hahahaha I know man, weird but to each its own way.  ;D

Mango manor said Fruit Cocktail.
Who's "mango manor?"  Never mind.  I found his YouTube channel.  He puts rocks around his trees.  That's weird.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2022, 09:40:35 AM »
How was the M4 taste?  Can you please describe it?

I’d have to say sweet tart…cac was pretty good also but some tasted bad it just depended on ripeness
Honey kiss hit well
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2022, 09:45:25 AM »

Honey kiss hit well
Sure
Flesh was yellow
And tasted sweet and bit coconut
But it was good coconut
Didn’t have much fiber
Don’t know what else I can say about it but I’m definitely glad I have the tree!
Lol
I don’t like coconut mangoes for example I had a Pickering and I hated it
Previous years it was ok. But this year they had strong coconut flavor. Not a fan

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2022, 09:59:15 AM »
What makes for a "bad season" for mangoes? Is it too much rain at the wrong time, or not enough?

Hi Calusa! For me personally a "Freeze" makes for a very bad mango season  :-\  :'(...it destroyed all my mango blooms and about 18" of all the top branches on the whole tree. Feb 1st we had low temps from 28° to below 32° for appx 8 hours. I am very lucky I only lost 18" of the tree branches, call it "Mother nature's" way of pruning my trees Lol...the trees today doesn't show any worse for the freeze experience. Unless you look really close you can hardly tell the trees suffered too much except for Zero fruits this year.

Along your rain question, I've had experience with too much rain years back, it does make my mangoes have a "washed" out flavor, makes them somewhat watery and not as sweet as when we have a normal rainy season. 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2022, 07:50:42 PM »
Taste wise the one which I've come to enjoy a lot this year was Peach Cobbler. It does have a big problem that another grower agrees on. It ripens on the tree to the point of being soft with absolutely no color blush at all. I have 5 trees and really intended to sell but for that purpose you have to really pick regularly and if you want to get tree ripe forget it. That means squeezing every fruit on the tree every time, or picking a little earlier when you think they are full.

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2022, 08:10:00 PM »

M4 really lived up to its hype for me. I have a tree that was put in the ground 3 years ago as a 3 gallon. I live in marginal mango territory and we got down to maybe 29-30 F this last winter. Problem with M4 is it is sprawling so it doesn’t protect itself. Consequently I had some decent die back…..but out of the grave it came back with a vengeance. Blooms galore (maximum bloom) and set tons of fruit. Ended up with about 20 full size fruit and had to learn when to pick at the right time. For the Tampa area this year ideally I would have started picking no earlier than the last week of July. Smallest fruit were 1 lb and largest was 29.5 ounces. I fertilize zero and spray nothing on the trees.

The flavor was fantastic. Fiberless flesh, super juicy, and the flavor was pure coconut especially by the skin. There was more subacid flavor by the seed. The ideal ripeness that I found was maybe the second or third day that you could smell the coconut at the stem. The flesh wrinkles a bit too. It isn’t insanely sweet, but the coconut flavor makes this thing a winner for me. I haven’t had Sugar Loaf, but man this tree earned its keep in my yard. Besides sprawling a bit doesn’t seem to be too vigorous.

Hope this helps. Not a lot of info on M4, but it is top notch for sure.

CowboyFig

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2022, 08:10:44 PM »
Dang. Did the quote thing wrong. Anyways that was a response to the M4 question.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2022, 09:36:05 PM »
I'll have to to agree that M4 lives up to the hype. I just had two tonight that I got from Bookie Country Grove 6 days ago. I was a little concerned maybe it was picked too early it was Green but it started to get soft but when I cut into it and saw the color of the flesh a smile came on my face. It was soft and I finally tasted the coconut. My wife agreed and said it wasn't just my imagination. As she was washing and cleaning the seeds she said you have two M4s and one lemon zest. I said what do you mean lemon zest your telling me you ate the last Lz. I was saving that to share. What happened to caring and sharing. I was hungry. AHHHHHH! >:(

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2022, 06:55:23 PM »
My 2 cents on the M4, I tried it for the first time this year we got over 20 fruit from 3 grafts I did 3 years ago. I was excited for coconut flavor but the only coconut I got from the M4 was aroma - there's definitely a strong hit of coconut in the aroma (once you cut it open - before that no smell at all which is really weird if the only mango you know is Haden which has a powerful, heavenly scent when ripe). But in the flavor I got citrus notes, maybe some piña colada especially near the shoulders. The flesh is sweetest at the shoulders and by the skin. Delicious mango.

CowboyFig

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2022, 08:00:14 PM »
My 2 cents on the M4, I tried it for the first time this year we got over 20 fruit from 3 grafts I did 3 years ago. I was excited for coconut flavor but the only coconut I got from the M4 was aroma - there's definitely a strong hit of coconut in the aroma (once you cut it open - before that no smell at all which is really weird if the only mango you know is Haden which has a powerful, heavenly scent when ripe). But in the flavor I got citrus notes, maybe some piña colada especially near the shoulders. The flesh is sweetest at the shoulders and by the skin. Delicious mango.

I would definitely agree that it's sweetest by the skin. My wife picked up on some citrus when it was maybe a day under ripe for my preferences, which I didn't really appreciate and would verbalize it as "subacid". We all taste things differently. I will say to get the maximum coconut flavor I really let mine ripen to the point I see skin wrinkling at the top and even some on the bottom. At that point I almost always have been smelling coconut for about 3 days at the stem. That's how I like it best, and I do scrape along the skin as I eat. To each their own though. Don't know exactly where you are, but you're somewhere super tropical and at elevation so it's cool to see it's producing well in those circumstances too!

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2022, 08:36:10 PM »
Sweet tart was really good this year. I had one that was absolutely perfect. My wife's favorite is still Piña colada. We were both really surprised by honey kiss this year though. We had some back to back with cotton candy and preferred honey kiss. The one honey kiss had a brix of 22% and had an orange/citrus flavor close to the seed.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2022, 08:55:45 PM »
Sweet tart was really good this year. I had one that was absolutely perfect. My wife's favorite is still Piña colada. We were both really surprised by honey kiss this year though. We had some back to back with cotton candy and preferred honey kiss. The one honey kiss had a brix of 22% and had an orange/citrus flavor close to the seed.
Yay, go Honey Kiss!
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2022, 05:26:09 PM »
Also, high praise to (USDA) Himsagar and Orange Essence--both top-tier mangos with a nice blend of flavors.  "Supremely delicious," as Har would say.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:43:32 PM by johnb51 »
John

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2022, 01:20:52 PM »

Bovine, did any of those super julies have the soft tip? I have this problem with my tree, almost all the fruit has nose softening. I wonder if that's something in the soil, or typical of the variety. Otherwise an excellent very productive tree.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2022, 09:33:42 PM »
Anyone still have mangos left on their trees?  Whatcha got left?  Today I ate the last of the Little Gems I was given by a friend.  Decent-flavored little mango (some actually medium size).  Rating wise, I'd say like 8 out of 10 points.  I've had a good mango summer.  I got to taste Lemon Zest (again) and Cotton Candy (for the first time).  The biggest surprise was how good the seedling mangos were from my neighbor's tree--a tree that gets zero care.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 09:47:43 PM by johnb51 »
John

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2022, 10:42:05 PM »
I still have a lot of Little Gems, some might hold another month on the tree.
 One thing I noticed this season was minimal coconut flavor on varieties that usually have a lot.
 Bailey's, Cotton Candy,and Little Gem were the best mangos I tasted this year. 
Dot from 3 different sources were all disappointing compared to other years.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2022, 11:41:57 PM »
I still have a single mango on an Okrung seedling that bloomed a second time in late April. Estimated harvest date is a little before Thanksgiving.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2022, 06:03:05 AM »
For late this year Zill 80, M4, and honey kiss have been impressive.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2022, 09:38:47 AM »
For late this year Zill 80, M4, and honey kiss have been impressive.
We've had no reports this year on the Zill-80 seedling called Carla, possibly even better than Zill-80. ???
« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 01:26:57 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2022, 11:43:48 PM »
Alex mentioned Carla as an excellent mango in his Q&A of 8/20.  Mid to late season.
John