Author Topic: Mango season 2023 versus 2024  (Read 670 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Mango season 2023 versus 2024
« on: March 26, 2024, 06:23:18 AM »
So far I'm extremely happy with 2024 the season of 2023 was extremely tough in my yard well I got to watch and cheer on the south Floridians for their bumper crop. My blooms had issues Christmas Day I had 10 hours of  near freezing temperatures then two weeks a week later it was touch 90°. So trees I thought certainly we're going to have strong bloom had more vegetative flush than bloom I only got a half dozen orange sherbert. 2 weeks after the Christmas freeze coconut cream appeared to be pushing Bloom I thought but no it was vegetating flush. So looking at the glass being half full it did about five flushes That season and got some massive size to it. This season it is fully loaded. So from season to season it's a roller coaster ride I understand a lot of people are having issues with powdery mildew but you shall persevere. On the bright side of the 2023 season I got a lot of growth and because of the friends I've established through this forum and other social media I was well covered in mangoes. So I would just like to hear other people's perspective of how this season is stacking up compared to last? I know it's a little early to make any final judgments because Mother Nature has the final say.🙂
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 10:34:38 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango season 2023 versus 2024
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 09:07:50 AM »

For me it's definitely not looking to be a good year compared to last year. I had a bumper crop last year, so many in fact I was running out of people to give mangoes to  ::)...this year with all the wet, humid, drizzly and damp weather I had during the flowering and fruit set I had powdery mildew on many of the flower pannicles so I think I'm going to have a very "light" or worse crop this year, I'm hoping to get some at least and hopefully not lose them all, but like you said its still pretty early to know how much of the few fruitlets are actually going to survive and mature, maybe another 6 to 8 weeks to see if any of them stay on the tree? My Maha only has a few blooms, not sure what happened but only a few of the branches bloomed and most of the others have new growths instead of flowers, I guess it decided to take a break this year  :-\

I didn't spray this year, lazy I guess... my trees are getting too big to mess with, but my husband says if we have another wet winter next year he will spray sulphur on my trees and hopefully prevent a bad PM attack  ;D

I am very happy for you that your trees are doing well and you are going to have a better 2024 than you had last year, Congrats!

fruitnoob

• Florida, Zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 07:06:34 PM »
It’s too early to tell for me, but this mango season so far looks better than the last one despite the struggle with powdery mildew. I need to do a better job with preventive sulfur spraying next year.
I was hoping my Pim Seng Mun would fruit, but powdery mildew had a different opinion. It may be better for the tree that we wait until next year.
My Carrie is having a second bloom, which is much much less than the first one.
I pruned my Maha and Cat Saigon in September and that multiplied the number of panicles on the trees big time. It’s relaxing to look at the big 3 mango trees full of panicles and small fruits. The Fruit punch tree recovered from the PM outbreak, it seems like it.
My other mango trees, less than 2 years in ground, also had panicles and I cut them off when small fruits showed up.
Tom

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 09:25:40 AM »
Last year my Glen produced a fair amount of fruit, but because I was trying to get more growth from the tree I removed all of the fruitlets when they were pea size. This year powdery mildew took care of ruining a nice full bloom that I was going to allow to produce fruit, but sadly no fruit at all this year on that tree.

Last year the Maha produced one mature fruit, well almost - as it was beginning to ripen a squirrel knocked it off and chewed into it. This year in spite of a bloom in December and again in Feb/Mar, powdery mildew is taking its toll. The tree does have about 40 viable fruits hanging on it but every day I see a few on the ground, some with bite marks from squirrels. At this rate I will not see any ripe fruit at all.

As much as I love fresh mangos if I had realized how much trouble it would be to keep the fruit from being ruined by squirrels I probably would not have planted them. Somebody tell me some encouraging words please because if I have another year of this I'll be oiling up the chainsaw.  :)

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 06:02:02 PM »
A18 Squirrel and Large Rodent Trapping Kit | Automatic Trap Company – Goodnature USA
https://goodnature.co/products/a18-squirrel-trap-kit

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 06:26:54 PM »
Looking to be an awesome crop for me this year, and most of the broward area from what I can tell. The below average winter temps that lasted several days at a time really helped set off blooming. The first bloom was unaffected by powdery mildew. Second (smaller) bloom has lost some fruit set due to PM.

Last year was a bumper crop, so it's been 2 really strong years for us in the broward area.
Jeff  :-)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2024, 02:54:39 PM »
The warmer, wet winter was better than frost and any threat of freeze, though it did cause a lot of Powdery Mildew. Fortunately, Pickering is barreling through with a lot of fruit, as is my Coconut Cream Seedling. Sugarloaf is also loaded, but a lot of fruit is marred by spots. We got 31 fruit off the tree last year, am curious to see what we get this year.

Most exciting for 2024 is that two seedlings are flowering for the first time, a Pickering seedling and this Baptiste seedling:

Not sure either will hold fruit, but it's encouraging to see seedlings flower.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 09:32:32 PM »
Polar opposite for me, last year great this year not so good.
I am hoping for some late blooms to save the season.
PM did a number on me and I didn't notice it until it was way too late.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2024, 07:02:47 AM »

For me it's definitely not looking to be a good year compared to last year. I had a bumper crop last year, so many in fact I was running out of people to give mangoes to  ::)...this year with all the wet, humid, drizzly and damp weather I had during the flowering and fruit set I had powdery mildew on many of the flower pannicles so I think I'm going to have a very "light" or worse crop this year, I'm hoping to get some at least and hopefully not lose them all, but like you said its still pretty early to know how much of the few fruitlets are actually going to survive and mature, maybe another 6 to 8 weeks to see if any of them stay on the tree? My Maha only has a few blooms, not sure what happened but only a few of the branches bloomed and most of the others have new growths instead of flowers, I guess it decided to take a break this year  :-\

I didn't spray this year, lazy I guess... my trees are getting too big to mess with, but my husband says if we have another wet winter next year he will spray sulphur on my trees and hopefully prevent a bad PM attack  ;D

I am very happy for you that your trees are doing well and you are going to have a better 2024 than you had last year, Congrats!

[/url
Built In agitator is an option for wettable sulfur
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 07:04:42 AM by Greater Good »

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2024, 11:19:06 PM »
Disease issues this year with solid rain on second, larger bloom on most of my trees.

Pickering was the exception as it bloomed fully with cool dry weather. M-4 also had no disease issues.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk