Author Topic: Any info on these vivero finds? Manzana Campana & Cas Brasileno / Costa Rica  (Read 448 times)

flavor8

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
I picked up two trees I hadn't heard of during a vivero run yesterday, which I'm drawing a blank on when googling or looking up in my reference books.

Cas Brasileno has leaves that are very different from the Costa Rican Cas I've grown from seed.

Manzana Campana translates as Bell Apple, which Julia Morton identifies as an alternative name for Water Lemon (Passiflora laurifolia). This isn't acting like other young passiflora I know of, i.e. climbing over everything, so I'm not 100% sold on this.

Does anybody have additional info on these?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 07:34:31 AM by flavor8 »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
That is not passiflora laurifolia. No idea what it is.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
We grow Brazilian cas.  The flavor is the same as the CR cas.  But the fruits are a little larger and easier to work with.  I think that it comes into production faster as well.  Our nursery sells it.
I’m not really sure about your photo which could be Eugenia victoriana.  What nursery did you get the plants from?
Peter

flavor8

• Costa Rica
    • View Profile
@Peter Eugenia victoriana looks close for sure. I have a very small Guayabilla in my front garden; its leaves are smaller (maybe just a factor of the plant size) and seem to have a sharper point to them, but otherwise the texture of the leaves is very similar.

I bought these from Vivero La Bonita in PZ (the one on Av 28). They generally have a good selection of fruit of trees.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:32:17 AM by flavor8 »

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
When I’m PZ I often stop by La Bonita on the interamericana and there stuff seems to be reliably labeled. I’ll see if I can post a photo of Brazilian cas   From my nursery to compare.
Saludos

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla

This is what we have as Brazilian cas.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk