Author Topic: Ice Cream Mango  (Read 5014 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Ice Cream Mango
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
Hi, I just received some scion wood from this mango, I would like to know if somebody is familiar
With the flavor of this one!
El verde es vida!

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Cream Mango
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:55:18 PM »
I loved it and found it reminiscent of a Julie.  My only caveat is that I heard it had some issues with disease tolerance.  I am not sure how accurate that information is and not sure how that would translate to the scion.  Perhaps if someone a little more well versed can chime in, I would love to know as well.  I have been debating adding this to my collection since I tried it.
George

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I thought this was a recipe!  :P

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:10:07 PM »
Thanks Don Georgio!
El verde es vida!

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
Ice Cream is one of those very strong flavored mangoes with the resinous twang that folks in the Caribbean seem to love.  The mangoes are small and the trees not very productive here in Florida...at least in my Florida yard.  They tend to do better along the coast or in sandy well drained soils and would probably do better in pot culture than in the muck that I grow in. When you can get fruit, this mango will consistently rate very high on most tasting tables....especially of you have folks who hail from the Caribbean in the tasting crowd. It has a very light colored, almost white flesh and no fiber. They are not very resistant to anthracnose.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:05:10 PM »
I have eaten dozens of mango varieties and Ice Cream ranks in my top 3.  And Bermuda is part of the Caribbean so...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 03:24:07 PM »
And Bermuda is part of the Caribbean so...

Since when?  Has it moved recently? ;)
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
And Bermuda is part of the Caribbean so...

Since when?  Has it moved recently? ;)
Could have, you know, with the triangle and all.  I am not saying it was Aliens, but it was Aliens.

Ok, seriousness aside ,  I have tried Ice Cream, and the name is perfect, the flesh is very creamy smooth,  has a strong flavor. last year I did get a couple fruit off my tree, but they were not as good as the ones I tasted off a mature tree, mine were extremely resinous, with lots of turpentine. it could be that it wasn't ripe enough, hard to tell with this variety as they do not get much color to them. 

This year, the tree flowered but nothing held, as mentioned by others, its rather susceptible to disease, in my case, Powdery Mildew.  but the tree is attractive, very small leaves, looks almost ornamental,  I think it would be a nice tree to put in the front yard, can be kept small, and the greenish mangoes should thwart mango snatchers.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
was recently at my friends house, and was astonished to see his Ice cream mango tree, about 6 yr old, and 8ft tall, holding a decent crop of fruit (maybe 15-20).

the reason I was so surprised, is because his tree is growing in a very crowded location, with other trees all around, blocking full sun, and creating a moist environment, with reduced air circulation.

the fruits are all impeccable...with no blemishes...also the foliage of this tree is virtually immaculate...and the owner never ever sprays any copper or fungicides.

I wonder how this can be?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 05:44:31 PM »
was recently at my friends house, and was astonished to see his Ice cream mango tree, about 6 yr old, and 8ft tall, holding a decent crop of fruit (maybe 15-20).

the reason I was so surprised, is because his tree is growing in a very crowded location, with other trees all around, blocking full sun, and creating a moist environment, with reduced air circulation.

the fruits are all impeccable...with no blemishes...also the foliage of this tree is virtually immaculate...and the owner never ever sprays any copper or fungicides.

Maybe its not an Ice Cream mango   ;)  :o ???
- Rob

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »
yes...that's what I thought..

then I checked the label...and the foliage and the fruit shape...everything is a match!

ice cream is easy to identify...even without fruits present
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rex Begonias

• USA, FL/Brevard, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 01:48:20 PM »

So you’re saying there’s a chance?

A chance I could fruit this mango in the shade?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk