Author Topic: Best mangos of this season  (Read 6138 times)

Juno

• USA, FL, Boca Raton 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Best mangos of this season
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2022, 07:05:51 AM »
I tried quite a few mango varieties this year. I have to say the Cac was a standout, followed by Springfel. The only issue I had with Springfel was a bit of fiber, but other than that it was great. The Cac mangoes were the best I ever had. I wish there were more!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2022, 01:40:37 PM »
I tried quite a few mango varieties this year. I have to say the Cac was a standout, followed by Springfel. The only issue I had with Springfel was a bit of fiber, but other than that it was great. The Cac mangoes were the best I ever had. I wish there were more!
What was the dominant flavor for you?
John

Juno

• USA, FL, Boca Raton 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2022, 03:35:28 PM »
It was a deeply sweet mango flavor with a very small touch of pineapple and coconut. They can be picked as soon as they start showing some yellow color and ripen 3-4 days later. I made the mistake of brushing my teeth about a half hour after the mango and it was like an orange juice/toothpaste experience. I’ve just never had such a great sweet and pleasantly textured mango before. Four of us were taste testing and it blew us all away!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2022, 04:29:31 PM »
First crop of coconut cream in Central Florida was oh so good. Makes me feel like putting on some Hawaiian Tropic suntan oil going by the pool and listening to my favorite Don Ho album

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2022, 05:27:29 PM »
I had a few Dots this past week which were excellent. I don't think they were better than the Pickerings I've had, but they were great if you like a more resinous, spicy flavor. I felt the Cacs were good, but more on the sweet side than the resinous side. 

Just my feelings. Everyone has a particular flavor profile they prefer.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2022, 11:25:45 PM »
Tonight's unique special mango is a Blackie seedling that came from Jamaica 8 years ago.
It was recently given the name Black Julie. Reaction of my wife. Oh my gosh! This is the bomb! It is slightly tart but gets sweeter and sweeter the closer you get to the seed and completely fiberless. She looked me straight in the eyes and said get the budwood. That has never happened before. She said it is in same League as Julie but uniquely different

This is now on my bucket list… love the flavor of super Julie and ice cream, blackie sounds like something I’d really enjoy.

This year I didn’t eat much mangos, my trees didn’t produce well and I didn’t go out of my way to source anything. Peach cobbler from skahn (sayyid) was lit, really enjoyed it. Loved the ice creams I got from my tree this year.

The most interesting mango experience though was a tasting with nick “urbanmangos” on instagram where I brought a lemon zest from my mothers tree which is 30 ft tall, unmanaged with pruning and no fertilization or care and we ate it side by side with one that he grew. It was night and day difference, he takes great care of his trees. My mothers was less sweet and flesh more juicy where his was larger, sweeter and flesh was more creamy/firmer texture and absolutely delicious the real potential of lemon zest. I really should be helping out with my moms tree and that’s on me but you know schedules and kids ects… My take home from that experience was you can eat the same cultivar grown by two different people and one can be bland just based off how it was grown, seems obvious, but the impact was so noticeable it was like two different mangos, totally wild.

-Joe

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2022, 08:59:45 PM »
Tonight's unique special mango is a Blackie seedling that came from Jamaica 8 years ago.
It was recently given the name Black Julie. Reaction of my wife. Oh my gosh! This is the bomb! It is slightly tart but gets sweeter and sweeter the closer you get to the seed and completely fiberless. She looked me straight in the eyes and said get the budwood. That has never happened before. She said it is in same League as Julie but uniquely different

This is now on my bucket list… love the flavor of super Julie and ice cream, blackie sounds like something I’d really enjoy.

This year I didn’t eat much mangos, my trees didn’t produce well and I didn’t go out of my way to source anything. Peach cobbler from skahn (sayyid) was lit, really enjoyed it. Loved the ice creams I got from my tree this year.

The most interesting mango experience though was a tasting with nick “urbanmangos” on instagram where I brought a lemon zest from my mothers tree which is 30 ft tall, unmanaged with pruning and no fertilization or care and we ate it side by side with one that he grew. It was night and day difference, he takes great care of his trees. My mothers was less sweet and flesh more juicy where his was larger, sweeter and flesh was more creamy/firmer texture and absolutely delicious the real potential of lemon zest. I really should be helping out with my moms tree and that’s on me but you know schedules and kids ects… My take home from that experience was you can eat the same cultivar grown by two different people and one can be bland just based off how it was grown, seems obvious, but the impact was so noticeable it was like two different mangos, totally wild.

-Joe
P.m. sent Joe
Consistently Dot has been my favorite mango this season. Next season it will have to compete with my Buxton spice

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2022, 04:39:50 PM »
I have a question about Dot. I posted earlier about some Dots i had which were fantastic. They were smallish, like the size of a baseball, with very orange flesh and a more resinous taste. I went back again this week to refill my stock, and this time the Dots were bigger than a softball (see picture), with more yellowish orange flesh, and a sweeter flavor. Also, an exceptional mango. Were both of the mangos dots? Or was the first possibly something else which was mislabeled.

And looking at bovine's coconut cream pictures, maybe these larger ones were coconut cream. The flesh looks identical. They weren't labeled when I got them. I labeled all of the different mangos when I came home.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 05:06:44 PM by CarloGolfer »

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2022, 06:15:59 PM »

-Joe
[/quote]
Good to point out exceptions to most common thinking on growing mangos... Interesting as we are all use to hearing not to fertilize near as much when trees are larger...
Interesting watching Hidden acres video where he says his watering system is on a regular basis  with no decreased impact of taste noted with watering...
A lot of variables. A lot of guessing on best practices, perhaps always changing with each individual location.

I shared a few Carrie today with someone requesting mangos that taste sour & sweet. This first time carrie fan loved them saying that was exactly the taste I wanted.

Another guy the other day ate a Carrie and immediately said they reminded him of Cuban mangos and I believe he also said they are called blackies in Cuba...

All the mangos IMO have been good tasting this year, perhaps my trees are just larger and better providers of essential nutrients/sugars than when younger. (If I had put this element nutrient fertilizer etc on it last year, It would have been easy to draw a false conclusion that that was why my mangos tasted better this year than last... lol... Good thing I did not add anything new to my practices to avoid false assumptions and conclusions lol.._)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 06:20:00 PM by palmcity »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2022, 07:07:42 PM »
I have a question about Dot. I posted earlier about some Dots i had which were fantastic. They were smallish, like the size of a baseball, with very orange flesh and a more resinous taste. I went back again this week to refill my stock, and this time the Dots were bigger than a softball (see picture), with more yellowish orange flesh, and a sweeter flavor. Also, an exceptional mango. Were both of the mangos dots? Or was the first possibly something else which was mislabeled.

And looking at bovine's coconut cream pictures, maybe these larger ones were coconut cream. The flesh looks identical. They weren't labeled when I got them. I labeled all of the different mangos when I came home.

CarloGolfer

• North Port , FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2022, 07:53:01 PM »
Ok then. Do the smaller ones have more orange flesh?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2022, 08:00:40 PM »

-Joe

Makes perfect sense to me. Healthy trees with more leaves per fruit (leaves make sugars) will make better fruit. Found an interesting article on the subject of anyone is interested.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283150993_Effect_of_Potassium_Zinc_and_Boron_on_Growth_Yield_and_Fruit_Quality_of_Keitt_Mango_Trees&ved=2ahUKEwjPk8SEmpD5AhUUTjABHVHMDTEQFnoECCAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2MzJszHLSVUYIsHaWx1zOi

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2022, 08:30:45 PM »
Ok then. Do the smaller ones have more orange flesh?
Yes with my tree this season the smaller mangoes do seem to be darker Orange.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 08:09:27 PM »
Tonight we had honey kiss Malika and ice cream. All were very good but the winner is Ice Cream!

Malika

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »
Ceci Love this morning ranks right up there with ST as best of the year. A little more resinous than ST, a little less sour.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 08:47:28 PM »
Cac wins

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 11:33:10 AM »
Coconut cream has a bumpy skin. Would love to try out a Dot someday.

Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2022, 07:04:56 PM »
Made some new friends today some really down to earth folks. They live so far in the bookie country that even the cattle look lost.
One thing for sure they are proud of their Carrie mango tree. They love to talk about Carrie. But I'm here to report they gave me the best Super Julie I've ever had. I was all in to that mango and probably look like the Procter & Gamble Gerber baby. I mean I had it all over my face. I've never worked on a seed like that before. They were laughing at me.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
Best I had this season SO FAR we’re
Sugarloaf
Peach cobbler
CAC
Mallika
Baileys Marvel
Orange sherbet

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2022, 01:15:22 PM »
Another vote for cac
- Val

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2022, 04:55:42 PM »
Adding Sugarloaf and Peach Cobbler to best mangos

CowboyFig

• USA/Central Florida/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2022, 08:21:39 PM »
I’ll second Cac and Dot and add M4

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2022, 10:51:57 AM »
I added up all the votes, and it looks like the big winners for 2022 were CAC and Orange Sherbet, followed by perennial favorite Dot and newcomer Sugarloaf.

(A personal note: I tasted CAC from two different locations this summer.  One was very good, and the other was outstanding.  You can call the dominant flavor "parsnip," or you can call it "cola" or "floral," but it was present in both, as in a lot of SE Asian/"Indochinese" mangoes.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:11:10 AM by johnb51 »
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »
Mango manor said Fruit Cocktail.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2022, 02:53:10 PM »
Mango manor said Fruit Cocktail.
Who's "mango manor?"  Never mind.  I found his YouTube channel.  He puts rocks around his trees.  That's weird.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 08:29:07 PM by johnb51 »
John