Author Topic: Campechiana sapodilla  (Read 827 times)

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
Campechiana sapodilla
« on: October 25, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
Was doing a delivery this morning up in ft myers and stopped by echo. Always a pleasure going there. I got this sapodilla that I can't find any info on. Says sapodilla campechiana and was the last one. The graft looks real nice.
Anyone have any experience with this variety that could give any info of the fruit. Thanks in advance.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Campechiana sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2022, 10:21:03 AM »
Was doing a delivery this morning up in ft myers and stopped by echo. Always a pleasure going there. I got this sapodilla that I can't find any info on. Says sapodilla campechiana and was the last one. The graft looks real nice.
Anyone have any experience with this variety that could give any info of the fruit. Thanks in advance.

The variety must have originated in Campeche, Mexico.  No hurricane damage to your trees?
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
I never heard of it?
Campechiana is the species name of canistel   
Label might have gotten mixed up?
Call Charlie at Echo and ask him where the tree came from.
I have bought mislabeled trees from Echo in the past.

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »
I have one in my yard. Over 25 year old tree. They grow tall and slender broken wing branches. Fruit is very good more oval than top shaped and it was once a common cultivar Central America maybe the Yucatán. Not sure but it might be mentioned in Julia Morton’s book.”Fruits  of warm climates”

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 04:49:29 PM »
Wow, thats good to hear from someone having a 25yr old tree growing in same city, im just off green in the estates. Thank you Artocarpus for giving us a history lesson.
Most of my trees are about 2yrs in ground, all except a mature mango and it did just fine, small mango trees were all on the ground from the ground getting saturated and wind so I staked them when they were wet soon after the storm, most of my small sapodillas I gave a metal stake, no casualties but the bacon avocado looks prety sad but the strawberry muntigia tree got blown back n forth and on the ground but fruit taste really sweet now.......thanks everyone!

Artocarpus

• Naples Fl 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »
This sapodilla came through Irma with very little damage,which had higher  winds here than Ian and much more rain and flooding.  Mango trees of similar size about 25 ft, were blown over in Irma and lost most of my avocados from standing water after Irma.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2022, 06:35:55 PM »
That is impressive it stood up to Irma, at that time my son was a year old and we were on vacation. Was a horrible drive into Florida. I wasnt doing the fruit trees then, I was renting and had no room.....I'm super stoked to add another variety. Sounds like the broken wing branches will look really cool as well. Thanks again for the info on the tree Artocarpus!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »
What is the address of Echo. I have never been there before and would like to visit.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2022, 10:40:49 PM »
17391 Durrance Rd, North Fort Myers, FL 33917. They have a big farm there too and we're still cleaning up so they hadn't picked any fruit for sale. The guy said this coming week they were going to pick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk