Author Topic: Candy Corn Mango (and Watermelon Splash Mango)  (Read 1552 times)

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Candy Corn Mango (and Watermelon Splash Mango)
« on: February 28, 2023, 10:36:06 AM »
Does anyone have any info on Candy Corn mango?
ZHPP says:
"Med Size Fruit, Very Sweet, True Mango Flavor"

Tropical acres farms says:
"Candy Corn was a chance seedling selected by the Zill High-Performance Plants nursery.
It reportedly has an Indochinese-type flavor.
We obtained a Candy Corn tree in 2020 for evaluation in West Palm Beach. Thus far it has grown very slow and compactly, perhaps dwarf-like. It first flowered in 2022 but did not hold onto any fruit. We are optimistic it can produce mature fruit for the first time in 2023."

I'm trying to not get involved with more mangos but I would happily plan something that had a rich classic mango flavor (something like Baileys Marvel)
I have enough Indochinese ones

Concerning Watermelon Splash mango:
I heard a worker from ZHPP mention it in a recent video from fruitful trees, does anyone know the row/column number of this tree or anything about it?

Nayelie321

• In California most of the time.
    • California
    • View Profile
Re: Candy Corn Mango (and Watermelon Splash Mango)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 06:22:28 PM »
What I've seen about Candy Corn. It doesnt impress anyone. It is a super sweet mango with 0 complexity. You can see videos from the Orlando Gardener and Osho Meditation Garden on youtubs. Late season according to Zills.

Watermelon Splash. They have a post from last year in where a member got a few fruit from ZHPP. Someone posted it was 20-1 in terms of row. Named by a worker at Zills. Not much info. No idea in terms of taste. Hopfully it will get a vetter review than candy corn.

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 06:26:15 PM »
Does Zills post their new introductions on their Facebook page? Trying to keep my finger on the pulse of the latest mango trends.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023, 06:47:13 PM »
Does Zills post their new introductions on their Facebook page? Trying to keep my finger on the pulse of the latest mango trends.

They're a wholesale nursery, so your best bet is to search posts on here for info, especially those close to the sources like Har, Rob, and Alex. Usually they are the first to share info on here. You could also try purchasing fruit from the ZHPP fruit stand and you may luck out, or might get something picked at a time which doesn't give a fair representation.

BTW, Alex recently updated many of the pages on the Tropical Acres Farms site, so if you haven't looked there in a while, there's new info, especially into the medium term performance info for stuff grafted 3+ years ago (many of the recent Zill releases).

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 06:51:02 PM »

They're a wholesale nursery, so your best bet is to search posts on here for info, especially those close to the sources like Har, Rob, and Alex. Usually they are the first to share info on here. You could also try purchasing fruit from the ZHPP fruit stand and you may luck out, or might get something picked at a time which doesn't give a fair representation.

BTW, Alex recently updated many of the pages on the Tropical Acres Farms site, so if you haven't looked there in a while, there's new info, especially into the medium term performance info for stuff grafted 3+ years ago (many of the recent Zill releases).

Yea I've been relying on the forum members for all mango stuff. Didn't know the website was updated. I'll have to check out before my next mango tree order. Thanks

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 07:35:20 PM »
I think actual Candy Corn is disgusting, and I will unfortunately be influenced by that if I ever get to taste a Mango with that name. I don't like the name (nor the suggested "Candy Sweet" I believe I read was suggested for M-4), and Watermelon Splash sounds like a sweet mixed drink that I wouldn't like. Watermelon is one of my all-time favorite fruits, but not sure it's a taste I'd appreciate in a Mango. Am I the only one who is influenced by names? Do people like Candy Corn?

Probably in the minority here, but I like names like "M-4" and "E-4".

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 07:37:28 PM »
From my mango log:

Purchased

May 18, 2020 from Zill High Performance Plants

“Candy Corn”

“No fiber, small, resembles the flavor of  a mildly sweet papaya, mediocre, 5/10”

I must add that many of the mangoes I got from
ZHPP that season were picked very green and that certainly adds some chalkiness to them.

Wish I was more help that was all I wrote.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 08:55:54 PM »
Watermelon Splash sounds like a sweet mixed drink that I wouldn't like. Watermelon is one of my all-time favorite fruits, but not sure it's a taste I'd appreciate in a Mango.
I'm with you.
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 09:00:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone for all the reports.
I'll put this solidly in my try before i buy list

I have had many not-great samples from ZHPP. Enough where i don't even bother going during mango season.
I usually hold my judgment until I tried it from a few different places.

With the less-than-stellar reviews here I doubt most people would want to plant this out.

I'll see if Alex or Walter has any this season and post back, not looking that promising on the Candy Corn front though.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 09:05:20 PM »
Heard of a mango, think it may have been called Saturn (not sure), that supposedly tasted of mango and watermelon Jolly Ranchers. Had one fruit, did not get to taste, it didn't ripen right, but growing the seed. Mono

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 11:25:44 PM »
From what I remember, “Candy Corn” was one of the random seedlings growing along the perimeter path at the nursery (not a number from Gary’s breeding project). If it’s the mango I’m thinking of, it had an Indochinese hybrid type flavor and was good quality.

I’m very skeptical of reports on its eating quality that were based on fruit that was being harvested way too green. This is reminiscent of when people were asking what the big deal was about some of the program hybrids that were regularly being picked weeks before they should have been.

Ours is Flowering/setting fruit now so we’ll see if we get anything from it this cycle and give it a fair eval.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 11:39:27 PM by Squam256 »

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 12:11:23 AM »

Yep, I completely agree. But names sell.

JR561

• Boynton Beach, Florida 33437 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 05:20:02 AM »

Anything works for me as long as the name doesn't influence taste.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 06:39:18 AM »

Anything works for me as long as the name doesn't influence taste.
I speculate that watermelon Splash is just Zill humor and talking points for the employees just to pacify the public. Hey when's the next variety coming out! Very soon now watermelon mango is going to make a huge splash.😅

P.T. Barnum once said, “There's no such thing as bad publicity,” which is almost as good as Oscar Wilde's version, who put it like this: “There's only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 06:48:59 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 10:22:19 AM »
From what I remember, “Candy Corn” was one of the random seedlings growing along the perimeter path at the nursery (not a number from Gary’s breeding project). If it’s the mango I’m thinking of, it had an Indochinese hybrid type flavor and was good quality.

I’m very skeptical of reports on its eating quality that were based on fruit that was being harvested way too green. This is reminiscent of when people were asking what the big deal was about some of the program hybrids that were regularly being picked weeks before they should have been.

Ours is Flowering/setting fruit now so we’ll see if we get anything from it this cycle and give it a fair eval.
So might you be implying that you're a little more careful than Zill about when you pick your fruit?  ;) (Not meaning to bash Zill.)
John

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 11:08:00 AM »

Ok great, thanks Alex

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 03:24:52 PM »
I’ve certainly had mangos from ZHPP that were mediocre and then purchased and sampled the same names cultivar at Tropical Acres farms and had a totally different opinion of the mango afterwards.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 09:51:11 PM »
I’ve certainly had mangos from ZHPP that were mediocre and then purchased and sampled the same names cultivar at Tropical Acres farms and had a totally different opinion of the mango afterwards.
I would think harvesting budwood is of the utmost priority and the fruit being picked sooner rather than later might help induce vegetative growth. I'm sure there's a practical reason for doing so.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2023, 04:21:00 PM »
Bovine, I’m sure that’s the reasoning and i came off like I was trashing ZHPP but I’d never do that I just meant to say they pick em
Green and Alex picks em correctly per cultivar…so my review of candy corn from ZHPP is probably way off of the actual potential of candy corn.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 10:43:09 AM »
Bovine, I’m sure that’s the reasoning and i came off like I was trashing ZHPP but I’d never do that I just meant to say they pick em
Green and Alex picks em correctly per cultivar…so my review of candy corn from ZHPP is probably way off of the actual potential of candy corn.
I don't think you came off as trashing you were just stating common knowledge. I've heard  others state the same thing. The one time I did make it there I had kind of mixed results. Little Gem wasn't what I was expecting but super Alphonso was excellent. I think if I would have had better knowledge at the time of which mangoes can be picked green I would have probably had happier 🙂