Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620735 times)

jimcas2004

• Philippines Taytay. Rizal Province zipcode1920
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1725 on: November 29, 2022, 11:32:32 PM »
I am Jimmy Castillo from Rizal, Philippines. I am   a senior citizen , interested in tropical fruit trees for my home garden. I have mango, avocado rambutan, carambola, mangosteen, and garcenia (cowa). I also planted asian pear, persimmon, apple, pomelo and duriian. I know clearly that some of these plants require cold temp to fruit. But..I want them.

I am looking for good seeds or cuttings- for garcenia humilis or Achacha for my garden. I home you can share seeds if you are in Australia or Bolivia.

I also want  to try cold weather fruit seed or cuttings for cherry, peach, plum , grapes that grow in warm climates.

Thank you for any kind person who can share.

kmenard

• Grant, Fl (South Brevard County) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: December 06, 2022, 04:12:44 PM »
Hello All,

I live in Grant, Fl (South Brevard County) on a 6+ acre property my wife and I purchased six years ago.  I spent nearly every free moment of the last ten years reading up on growing fruit trees and finally after years of anticipation, planted out a 2 acre permaculture (fish) designed orchard this summer.  Mango is the dominant species with about thirty varieties so far, but I also have numerous avocados bananas, lychee etc.  I'm here to learn from those who've been doing it for years as well as those who are just starting out like myself and everyone in between.  If I can pass on a bit of info after all the help and patience I've received, even better!  Excited to be here and start reading through old posts!

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: December 11, 2022, 09:13:26 PM »
Welcome new members! I never check this part of the forum, until now. Most members probably only read the Discussion and Trades/Sales sections.

We all love garden and fruit pics, so show us what's going on in your grove/plot.

qcguy4198

• Indian River County, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: December 15, 2022, 07:56:47 AM »
Hello all,
I found this forum looking for help with my single Mango tree. I'm not an experienced gardener. The tree produced a nice crop of Mangoes 2 yrs ago. Last year...ONE Mango.  :-\ Hoping to learn.
Thanks,
Don

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 22, 2023, 11:57:02 AM »
Hello from Canada,
I have a small tropical container tree greenhouse and have been working on trying to grow fruit which aren’t available (or poor quality) this far North. I’ve had the greenhouse for almost 6 years and tried many experiments with climate control as well as sustainable homemade fertilizers and pesticide free insect control. I joined this forum trying to see if there are other weirdos like me who have ideas/solutions that I haven’t thought about yet.

So far I’ve been able to fruit yellow dragon fruit, feijoia, peaches, guava, jaboticaba, namwah banana, Longan, passion fruit, sugar apple, lemon/limes.

My failures include trying to control scale with predatory bugs, mango (just ate my first one but have killed 10 trees) lychee and sweet oranges.

Hoping to exchange ideas and gain some wisdom.

Take care,
Al

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 22, 2023, 01:32:30 PM »
My name is Hunter, I am 23 years old and have been collecting for the last 5+ years, Im growing over 150 trees in ground of all exotic fruits primarily. I am growing in Central Florida on a 6 acre plot that used to be an orange grove, now converted to a tropical fruit grove. My recent greenhouse has allowed me to cultivate more rare species in their adolescent stages, the fruit community is full of wonderful people and I am glad to be apart of it. My instagram is @exoticfruithunter

Cheers!

Steve fam

• Englewood, fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 28, 2023, 07:30:37 AM »
Hi,I'm new member. I live in sw florida,  Englewood. I have my yard is all fruit trees. Growing for 4 to 5 years now. Dome are doing good,some not so good. Recent hurricane and cold weather having affect on them. I would like to share Growing info and help with others in my area. 10A  Englewood

hardearth

• I'm a baby duck in an oil spill.
    • south florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 09, 2023, 12:10:39 AM »
my name is River and I live in south florida 10b east coast with a big old mango tree (probably haden seedling from the 60s) and many small potted citrus plants i got on clearance from lowes recently. however, my true fixation is passion fruit. I go so crazy for passion fruit you would think these plants were helping old ladies cross the street, cleaning my house, and raising my credit score. i am a baby duck in an oil spill and passion fruit is my dawn dish soap. Decided to join after lurking for a while to finally get in touch with some people who also love this stuff and maybe get some new plants/seeds!

Seeds of Malta

• Malta, Europe, USDA 11
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Malta
« Reply #1733 on: February 10, 2023, 08:08:14 AM »
Hello,
I'm from Malta, Europe and I love growing plants from seeds and cuttings, especially rare ones.
My hobby led me to starting my online seed business. There's not many fruit seeds but I'm always searching for new opportunities and very hopeful it will become a full time job and bring some profit ;D.
You can visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/SeedsofMalta
Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/seeds_of_malta
Etsy http://seedsofmalta.store/
Wish you all the best in whatever your dreams and goals are:)

JackfruitChan2

• Encinitas, California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 04, 2023, 11:49:51 PM »
Hello y'all! I am from North San Diego County, California, Zone 10a. I love trying exotic fruits, and I especially like trying to grow them. Although my username is JackfruitChan2, my favorite fruits are in the annonaceae family. I grow several fruits such as Wax apple "Thai Jumbo", Yuzu, Finger Lime, Calamansi, Oroblanco, Buddha's Hand, Kumquat "Nagami" and "Meiwa", Lemons, Jaboticaba, Surinam Cherry, Strawberry Guava, Lemon Guava, Pineapple Guava, Bananas "Apple" and some other unknown variety, Cherimoya, Sugar Apple "Na Dai", Soursop, Achacha, Figs "Little Miss Figgy" and "Kadota", Dragonfruit, Coffee, and Passionfruit. A lot of these plants are very young or are grown from seed, so none but the citrus are fruiting yet. I hope to learn more about fruit and I hope to grow more too! :)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 05, 2023, 12:05:33 AM »
Hello y'all! I am from North San Diego County, California, Zone 10a. I love trying exotic fruits, and I especially like trying to grow them. Although my username is JackfruitChan2, my favorite fruits are in the annonaceae family. I grow several fruits such as Wax apple "Thai Jumbo", Yuzu, Finger Lime, Calamansi, Oroblanco, Buddha's Hand, Kumquat "Nagami" and "Meiwa", Lemons, Jaboticaba, Surinam Cherry, Strawberry Guava, Lemon Guava, Pineapple Guava, Bananas "Apple" and some other unknown variety, Cherimoya, Sugar Apple "Na Dai", Soursop, Achacha, Figs "Little Miss Figgy" and "Kadota", Dragonfruit, Coffee, and Passionfruit. A lot of these plants are very young or are grown from seed, so none but the citrus are fruiting yet. I hope to learn more about fruit and I hope to grow more too! :)

Solid choices, you've got good taste.   Welcome

tropical_tree_for_me

• 🇱#127473🇦#127462 Laos 🇱#127473🇦#127462 zone 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 05, 2023, 04:58:08 AM »
Hello My name is Don, currently living in Laos (neighbor to Thailand), was originally born here, then parents moved to the states where I lived for 35+ years. Then one day decided I’d move back to my country of birth and have been living here since 2018. I bought some land and now I’m trying to grow various tropical fruit trees. I’m just a fruit lover in general.

CenCalArt

• Visalia ca USA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 06, 2023, 03:08:20 PM »
Small home fruit tree grower from central Californias Central Valley Zone 9b crfg.
New to this forum and hoping to make lots of new friends.
I have seeds and plants to barter if folks are interested.
Thank you and nice to meet you.

Pneuma

• Dont Panic its Organic
    • 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 11, 2023, 01:09:04 PM »
A little over 2 years ago I went down to Los Angles to visit Friends and Family(where I grew up).  I ran into a friend that I hadnt seen in over a decade we started bull shitting about plants both of us are into cannabis(We own a cannabis nursery in Salinas where I got my passion for plants but thats another story) he invited me over to his place upon arrival I was blown away by his plants !! all these plants Ive never heard of or tasted before.  I was drown to the Jaboticabas as they were in flower the trees bark these cool leafs just beautiful trees.  We start chatting he pulls a AX dragon fruit out the fridge that he grows and the taste changed my Life forever.  It was so different and enjoyable it broke the wall down and opened up my curiosity for fruits and plants Ive never tried.  I went to CalPoly pomona nuersery where he got his AX and Picked up 4 plants of the 4 varieties to start like my buddy grows them on my way back Home.  He gave me my 1st Jaboticaba I still havent tried a fruit yet!!  So here I am learning more and adding more Plants to my 2.5 acres.  We planted a orchard the 1st year(2019) with 20 fruit trees. 7 apples, 4 plums,2 pluot,2 nectarine, pear, apricot, peach, cherry, Pomegranate and some berries 3 raspberries, 6 blueberries, 2 black berries, white currant, goose, boysenberry, marion, goji.  Plus property had some beat up trees that have come back to life Bloodorange, Myer Lemon, 2 kinds similar to cuties, a massive Citron, Apricot thats still battling and a stunning Persimmon.  Since that trip down south Ive lost 3 plants that Ive acquired(starcherry,Plina Sp,Yellow Grumichama) I was looking for help and data thats when I found this site I was just creeping around reading before I joined here were ive been blown away by this amazing community, the knowledge and willingness to share ideas and plants feels right at home.
Cheers to a abundance
Wes
"Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul.'
-Luther Burbank

RC3

• Texas, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 19, 2023, 04:34:59 AM »
Hello! I started growing a few fruit trees a couple years ago and now I'm obsessed. So like any obsessed newb I am in over my head and here to learn. I like figs/mulberries, sharing with friends and neighbors, trying rare or somewhat unique fruits I can't buy, perennial greens/edible flowers/etc, and tropical trees I have no business trying to grow in my zone lol.

Abirkett2

• USA, FLORIDA, CHRISTMAS, ZONE9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1740 on: March 27, 2023, 10:10:27 PM »
Hey there, I'm Andrew.

Once upon a time I was a marketing student at the University of Florida. At the time I was creating and a company making board games and comic books, which I funded on Kickstarter. I even developed and produced my own game designs and wrote a few novels, too.

Since that didn't pay the bills, somehow I ended up working starting a new division of my family's ornamental plant and tree farm in Christmas, FL right outside of Orlando. I was supposed to only stay a few months as the general manager overseeing the new farm endeavor (Regenerated Sabal Palms). That was in April 2019. I'm still here. I quickly learned that I enjoyed and missed being outdoors (as well as that I like working with my family) so I never left. Though, I also realized that I care a lot more about plants I can eat than palm trees.

So I started Froot Farms: an edible plant nursery, compost site, and apiary on my family's 115-acre property. It's been a wild ride the last few years, but I'm excited to be learning a lot. Even though I'm a third generation farmer I had never grafted a tree prior to starting Froot Farms. I'm really enjoying going down the rabbit hole that is Jaboticaba and some other rare tropical plants.

Growing up my dad used to always stress that I had to go to college so I wouldn't have to do landscaping when I grew up. Ironically, college did just that--I don't have to do landscaping or be a grower. I chose to.
Froot Farms is a family owned/operated edible plant nursery, apiary, and composting site in Christmas, FL.

mangomania

• United States, California, Bay Area
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 04, 2023, 04:00:57 PM »
Hi!
I'm James and am currently living in the Bay Area, California. Nice to meet you all here! I joined to get people's insights into where I can buy more quality fruits. I'm not sure if it's because climate change but the fruits lately (especially mangos!) are such poor quality.
Cheers!

susanned

« Reply #1742 on: April 06, 2023, 06:21:35 AM »
Greetings,
My name is Susanne. Living in Florida for 10 years. Electronics Engineer by trade, tropical tree plantation manager most of the time..LOL. I'm originally from Cuba so will I be considered international member too? ..he he. I love tropical fruits. I only have a small lot, occupied mostly by my house. But it doesn't stop me from growing tropical fruit trees. I have 5-mangoes (ha ha), lots of bananas, carambola, avocado, jackfruits, tamarind, papayas and lychees.
This  is a great resource site.
See you around folks.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 07, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »
Greetings,
My name is Susanne. Living in Florida for 10 years. Electronics Engineer by trade, tropical tree plantation manager most of the time..LOL. I'm originally from Cuba so will I be considered international member too? ..he he. I love tropical fruits. I only have a small lot, occupied mostly by my house. But it doesn't stop me from growing tropical fruit trees. I have 5-mangoes (ha ha), lots of bananas, carambola, avocado, jackfruits, tamarind, papayas and lychees.
This  is a great resource site.
See you around folks.
Spammer!
John

gordonh1

• Western Washington, zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 07, 2023, 12:30:15 PM »
I'm Gordon in a rural area near Seattle, WA in zone 8a/7b, somewhat in the foothills where it's a bit colder than Seattle near Puget Sound. I'm growing many hardy fruits in an orchard / forest garden setting. I will have a greenhouse this year in which I hope to grow some tropical fruits, including citrus, avocado, dragon fruit, and guavas.

I'm interested in cold hardy citrus and will grow Poncirus outdoors, and attempt other citrus over time. I would ideally like to grow hardy citrus that can thrive on their own merits without pampering and elaborate protection schemes.

I enjoy raising plants from seeds and doing informal breeding projects.

gregfnq

• Australia, QLD, Mena Creek, Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 11, 2023, 05:46:45 AM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Greg. I live in FNQ Australia. I own a small farm and have been living here since 2014. I grow many types of tropical, subtropical, some temperate fruit trees. Cheers.

memocastro@att.net

• Helloo
    • San Diego California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: May 12, 2023, 09:34:14 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Guillermo and I’m from San Diego California city of Chula Vista. I hope I’m in the introduction forum since I’m having problems navigating the website but I’m happy to be here regardless. I enjoy gardening and spending time with my trees. I have a little bit of everything here From peaches, mulberries, cherimoyas mangoes, persimmons, and a bunch of other trees. Kind of long to list. At the moment I’m very interested in guavas. OK everyone happy to be here.

Tropic5oh

• USA Pomona California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: May 19, 2023, 07:09:57 PM »
Hi,

I’m Jeremy and live in the Los Angeles area (10a). I’ve always been into gardening and tropical fruit, however recently combined the two!! So far the forum has been a great resource and I lurked/read a bit before joining up!! So far we have Sweetheart, Brewster and Mauritius Lychee, Bananas, Guava, Mangos, Feijoa, a bunch of dragon fruit, Suriname and Barbados cherry, Miracle fruit and just discovered Jaboticaba lol (one red 3GA and want more lol). We have had large citrus and figs for a while. I’m in the hobby/passion for relaxation and the beauty of the trees and the fruit is a great added side benefit. I’m a total newb and looking forward to learning and have enjoyed reading advice from the experts in the various threads. Also looking forward to meeting anyone else with the passion in the Southern California area!

V/r,

-Jeremy
What you allow, you encourage

Alan2000

• USA, California, Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: May 20, 2023, 08:23:57 PM »
Living in South America and Asia for a few years, I really enjoyed the tropical fruits. When I moved to California I planted a few fruit trees in my backyard including cherimoya, star fruit, fig, orange, and lemon trees. Last year I purchased a 3-4 foot Valencia Mango tree which is currently blooming. It seems to have an excessive amount of blooms and I was wondering if I should cut part of it off as it seems too heavy for the small skinny tree. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Adbacklist

« Reply #1749 on: May 27, 2023, 01:41:50 AM »
spammer
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 03:51:08 PM by JakeFruit »