Author Topic: Overhyped avocados  (Read 13437 times)

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Overhyped avocados
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2023, 08:24:34 PM »
I love Bacon avos! They're just a different fruit than Hass (not that Id take Bacon over Hass if I had to choose). I have a Daily 11 in the ground...Something about a huge avocado that sounds cool but its going to have to be decent to keep around.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2023, 09:36:30 PM »
I agree on the Bacon, lovely texture.

Daily 11 is good to eat, but a lowish vigor tree that tends to overproduce in on years leading to one or several off years. It's amazing to see it drip with fruit in an on year. The fruit are enormous.

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 05, 2023, 09:26:03 AM »
I don't see much love for the pure mexican varieties. Because of low temperatures in my area if i will ever be able to have an avocado tree i will have to go with a mexican one.
What's the best mexican variety in your opinon?
Keep planting and nobody explodes

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 05, 2023, 10:41:35 AM »
mexican varieties with good flavor and edible skin ; mexicola, mexicola grande, stewart many others have one called mayo that is kinda sweet flesh.

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2023, 12:05:38 PM »
mexican varieties with good flavor and edible skin ; mexicola, mexicola grande, stewart many others have one called mayo that is kinda sweet flesh.

I haven't tried the "Mayo" variety's fruit yet, but that was the first graft to die from frost outside this winter. Got crispy at -2.5C/27F. So, it may not be particularly hardy even if it is Mexican and has good fruit. Poncho, by comparison, had zero frost damage even with much colder temperatures on many occasions, and was planted in the same section of the yard. But I've not tried its fruit yet, either.

That is assuming yours is the same historical cultivar I got from UC Riverside from their research grove, it's possible multiple obscure cultivars have been given that name since avocado consistency is sometimes compared to mayonnaise. Here's the one I have, my backup grafts are doing fine in the greenhouse:

http://ucavo.ucr.edu/avocadovarieties/VarietyList/Mayo.html

In terms of the original question, even though they are tiny, Mexicola is one of my favorite tasting avocados, period. I'm sure once I've tasted the dozens of cultivars I'm squeezing into my greenhouse I'll have some other favorite, but for the moment that's it for me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 12:13:50 PM by drymifolia »

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 05, 2023, 01:39:27 PM »
Mexicola always seemed to be the best bet for my climate. Glad it's an actual worth to grow variety as well.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »
You guys won't like it but those Mexican avocados really aren't good to me.  I have grown them all and have chopped them all down.  I could easily keep as many as I want but they just are not good after eating a sharwil or Reed or homegrown Hass.  No one in the family wants to eat any of them. 

Brad Spaugh

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2023, 07:22:48 PM »
True Brad, but this guy is in cold area and if you can't the best might as well grow good variety for a cold , I like mexicola personally but I have grafted over my tree since climate has warmed a bit here but still cool coastal NW wind influence here.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2023, 11:22:28 PM »
Mexicolas never held on the tree here.  They got ripe in the middle of summer and would ripen so fast thry fell off right away.  And the fruit were very small and big seed.  Its probably better for a cooler location where it can hang longer into the cool months and get more oil. 

You should try growing carmen if you are not already.  The quality on the carmen fruit is actually really high.  Im really impressed with it.  It doesnt seem to like the heat here though but I bet it grows amazing in a lower heat area.  My trees are not super happy but the fruit are amazing. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2023, 12:13:21 AM »
I read that carmen is a bud sport of hass but it seems not likely to me.  The fruit are definitely a different shape.  Taste is slightly different, tree growth is similar but not the same.  It seems like it is more likely a hass seedling to me but I have no kind of dna test to prove that.
Brad Spaugh

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2023, 05:34:53 AM »
What about fantastic/pryor/del rio?
My understanding is that most likely fantastic is different from the other two.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2023, 10:52:17 AM »
Enkis, how cold do you get in where ever you are in Italy? Zutano is another good mexican cold hardy variety.
Brad, I do grow Carmen Hass but because of my cool climate it grows OK some years I get fruit and others not but it is excellent.

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Enkis, how cold do you get in where ever you are in Italy?

Around 20F

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2023, 12:40:55 PM »
What about fantastic/pryor/del rio?
My understanding is that most likely fantastic is different from the other two.

I've never heard particularly high praise for their fruit quality, just their hardiness, but I've never had any of them myself. I have new grafts of both Fantastic and Del Rio, so I'm planning to compare foliage this year, perhaps compare flowers next year, and eventually compare fruit, to resolve whether they are the same cultivar. The Fantastic graft is just starting to bud out now, and I did the Del Rio grafts in the fall, so they are mostly starting their second flush now. Too early to even compare leaves at this point.

Enkis

• Italy 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2023, 02:46:37 PM »
I've read del rio leaves are supposed to only have a faint scent of anise while most mexican varieties have a much stronger scent. According to an article by Craig Hepworth fantastic has a strong scent, suggesting it's a different variety. I never read about someone comparing fruit or flowers yet.

drymifolia

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2023, 04:25:20 PM »
I've read del rio leaves are supposed to only have a faint scent of anise while most mexican varieties have a much stronger scent. According to an article by Craig Hepworth fantastic has a strong scent, suggesting it's a different variety. I never read about someone comparing fruit or flowers yet.

My Del Rio grafts (scions were from a tree I bought directly from Craig Hepworth) have more than a faint scent. It's not an extremely strong scent like Duke for example, but it's still very clearly anise scented, similar in scent to many of the other Mexican cultivars I am growing.

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2023, 01:22:08 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 01:50:06 PM by Draak »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk