Author Topic: Florida Hass Avocado. For those thinking about it  (Read 23679 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Florida Hass Avocado. For those thinking about it
« on: May 24, 2013, 08:24:02 AM »
The Florida Hass tree in my collection is under scab attack. Those contemplating buying this tree should read my last report  of May 22, 2013 http://www.myavocadotrees.com/florida-hass-avocado.html
Disappointing......
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Hass Avocado. For those thinking about it
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »
Great report, thanks for sharing!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 10:29:27 AM »
Thank You Carlos !
Zone 10

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
The FL Hass is a good candidate for those pushing zone limits though.  I know of a beautiful fruiting tree in zone 9a.  I'll have to report on the quality of the fruit.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 11:00:58 AM »
As you can see in my web there are people producing clean fruit in a home environment. I was very surprised what happened with the scab in my tree. Scab is air borne so if there are no avocado trees in the area there is probably little or no scab in the air. We need more contribution from people who are growing this tree (to be fair)
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 04:29:27 PM »
As you can see in my web there are people producing clean fruit in a home environment. I was very surprised what happened with the scab in my tree. Scab is air borne so if there are no avocado trees in the area there is probably little or no scab in the air. We need more contribution from people who are growing this tree (to be fair)

There are hundreds of avocado trees around this tree...being that it's planted at a nursery where there's several trees in the ground, and tons of avocados in pots...and even sickly avocados here and there.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
My FL Hass was the magnet tree for Sri Lankan weevils in my yard.  I finally gave it the ax a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with an Oro Negro that had been given to me although I kind of wish it were a Monroe instead.
John

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 02:59:20 AM »
My Fla. Hass, may also get yanked, I think it has some kind of disease, all the leaves are coming out slightly distorted, and variegated green and yellow, I may just cut it back to a stick, and see what happens first.  anyone ever see this happen? 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 07:45:23 AM »
Fist of all, there is a reason for every thing. That may be why no one has an older producing tree. Lack of an information gathering system makes people buy varieties that are sold by nurseries just describing the "good" attributes of the tree.

It would be good for people growing the tree  to report the good as well as the problems with the tree

William. I had a similar issue with a Florida Hass I had in a pot in my house next to a citrus. I sprayed the citrus with oil and spinosad and a few days latter the leaves began to turn like you described. Other avocados got over sprayed and did not reacted that way. Now those leaves have dropped and a new flush is coming.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:01:49 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
My tree and my neighbor's (which is slightly larger than mine) are both doing exceedingly well. No disease and excellent productivity. The fruits are perfectly clean. This is currently my favorite FL avocado.

My tree is around 4 years old, and my neighbors is about 5 years old.

It's a slow growing avocado, which requires some patience -- but slow growing (dwarfness) is a pro, not a con.

Sri lankan weevil is not cause for concern. I have sri lankan weevil damage on many different species of trees in my yard (especially lychee, for which they have a special fondness), but it's merely a cosmetic issue.
Jeff  :-)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
Jeff, thanks for the info.
Can you tell us about how many fruit each tree has?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11:30 PM »
My little 5 footer has roughly 15 fruits on it. I'll check the neighbor's and get back to you.
Jeff  :-)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 11:29:23 AM »
here is that FL hass I was talking about, up where it gets cold in Central FL.  I was impressed by how well its performed so far.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
They grow very well and strongly here as well. I can only say that in my grove it has been attacked by the scab really bad. I never seen any of my other trees like this.  I saw the tree yesterday and all the fruits are damage by scab really bad even though I have sprayed copper on them. Obviously the tree is very susceptible to scab. If scab is not a problems in your area it may be fine. 

Scab Damage in FL Hass June 1, 2013
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 05:08:27 PM »
I know it might be a little off topic, but I have what was tagged, and seems to be a true Haas planted in ground.  I got it from Pine Island about 4 years ago.  It did very little for the first 3 years as it tried to grow, and tried to fruit itself to death.  Last year, for whatever reason ( I removed all fruit at BB size), it decided to take off.  Now it's about 20ft tall and has about 8 avocados growing on it.  At this point it looks very healthy and I have high hopes for some Florida grown Haas in a few months...

How unusual is it to have a California type Haas grow in south Florida?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
I too would appreciate any first hand experiences and information on planting regular Hass (California) in South Florida. Why would it not do well here?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
Let me put in my two cents.
I have never seen an adult Hass tree in Homestead. I know they are there. What I have been told is that the fruit stays small and does not mature evenly. Look I'm growing one because I want to see for myself and report exactly what I see. Unfortunately my tree was accidentally cut by the spray crew but now has come back and is 4-5 feet. It may possible flower next year.
That said, Home Depot has been selling Pine Island Hass trees for a while now so there has to be some out there over 5 years old.
I suspect in light of the scab attack on my Florida Hass that the tree may do better north of Dade County. This is just speculation.

Sleepdog that fruit looks very nice and so does your tree. Please keep up posted on how it does.
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
See this video from Pepe's plant On a California Hass growing somewhere in So. Florida.  I hope he could give more details about the location and age of the tree in the video.  Pepe has not posted for a couple of month in this forum.

www.pepesplants.com visits South Florida Grove and finds California Hass Avocado trees
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:27:38 PM by CTMIAMI »
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 07:24:57 PM »

Sleepdog that fruit looks very nice and so does your tree. Please keep up posted on how it does.

Thanks :).  I'll post up about how it's doing in a few months ..

Clueless

• Orlando, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »
Help! Too much water or not enough? I water Wednesdays and Saturdays using to lawn sprinklers. I planted this tree about one month ago. Also, what do you think is eating the leaves?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:13:27 PM by Clueless »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:16 PM »
Thanks Carlos for Pepe's video on this regular California Hass tree in south Florida.  The Home Depot in Coral Springs (Atlantic and University) has these Hass via Pine Island nursery.

The tree had lots of fruit coming along that would be ready in late August-September

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 12:49:34 AM »
A relative of mine, in Miami-Dade, FL, has a Hass avocado tree. Planted about four to five years ago, it's now about twelve feet tall, consistently very productive and no scab problem. I guess some areas are more affected by scab than others.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
A relative of mine, in Miami-Dade, FL, has a Hass avocado tree. Planted about four to five years ago, it's now about twelve feet tall, consistently very productive and no scab problem. I guess some areas are more affected by scab than others.

You know for sure whether it is Florida Hass or California Hass? Though my guess is not much Florida Hass was around to be planted five years ago

Plus what months are his Hass avocados ready to eat

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
Fist of all, there is a reason for every thing. That may be why no one has an older producing tree. Lack of an information gathering system makes people buy varieties that are sold by nurseries just describing the "good" attributes of the tree.

It would be good for people growing the tree  to report the good as well as the problems with the tree

William. I had a similar issue with a Florida Hass I had in a pot in my house next to a citrus. I sprayed the citrus with oil and spinosad and a few days latter the leaves began to turn like you described. Other avocados got over sprayed and did not reacted that way. Now those leaves have dropped and a new flush is coming.

I was waiting for the new leaves to come out before I took some picture,  fortunately the new foliage looks normal and nice.  this tree was so close to getting yanked. as I was afraid it had some disease, that could spread to some other Avocado plants I have.

The variegation did not just appear, the leaves came out that way.  you can see some leaf burn, I had to move the tree to a shady place, as it got way too photo sensitive.   

I think over spray from something I sprayed on something else, must have done this.  my plants are a bit close together.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
It may be time to pick Florida Hass. This is my first year with fruit in 3 trees. 
Question: Do you wait for a color change on the fruit before picking it?  Do you go by size?
Any help on picking Florida Hass?
Carlos
www.myavocadotrees.com