Author Topic: Florida weather South Southwest and Central  (Read 3929 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Florida weather South Southwest and Central
« on: October 16, 2023, 06:51:13 AM »
Speaking for Central Florida last week we had a couple of days of rain at times heavy. Friday in the early a.m. around 4:00 we had a huge downpour by the time I made coffee and started to head to work the humidity was oppressive even before the sun came up. Now 3 to 4 days later in the early a.m. it is 61 with low humidity this early a.m. Looks to be Pleasant weather through the week and into the weekend. This is a good opportunity to spray and repot some plants before we get into the holiday season. I think the rainfall totals are about average for this summer but I'll have to check on that. Not sure about the rest of the state. Pretty confident that South Florida got their usual heavy share of the rain. This can be an ongoing thread for form members report from their locations on Frost freeze rain etc etc🙂

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:49:13 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Florida weather South Southwest and Central
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 12:13:28 PM »
The first day since last spring that we can open our windows.  Ah, fresh air!  :)
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 06:14:35 AM »
The first day since last spring that we can open our windows.  Ah, fresh air!  :)
Well I bet you enjoyed that. Well thank you for being sociable 🙂 I stayed out late last night enjoying the weather  got motivated to get an early start on holiday decoration. I did very much enjoy flip tops fall color display. Possibly may get rain next week

« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 06:24:21 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 06:31:57 AM »
It was a really dry winter/summer here in naples. Down 13" from the average. I think that's ended now and going to be a more wet winter. Hopefully it's a short mild one without any record lows or plant injuries.

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 07:39:47 AM »
61 degrees this morning in Heaven's Waiting Room. Rain expected towards the end of the week and much needed.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 09:06:33 AM »
Glorious 63 this morning.  Like a different world!
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 05:31:37 AM »
Was hope Sean would come a little further north but it looks like it's crossing over the Keys and maybe Homestead

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2023, 06:25:01 AM »
I'm hoping a perfect blend of the Old Farmers Almanac and Seasonal Precipitation Outlook comes to pass. The drought here sucks! Freezes suck!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 12:52:52 PM »
Anyone else getting rain? Got  rain Saturday started out late got heavier than downpour in the early Am. Today I've had a steady rain most of the day.. Reminds me of the late 80s when we had these lite steady rains all day most of the winter. I remember well. My Father had sod business. It was my job to get the trucks in and out of the field pushing with a forklift. Also has been quite windy
]

Do squirrels prefer acorns over mangoes???
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 01:02:06 PM by bovine421 »

MadFarm

• Royal Palm Beach, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 01:43:02 PM »
Light but pretty steady rain last 2 days western PBC

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »
It rained here 2 times briefly yesterday, 56% today and 60ish tomorrow. Followed by 4days of 10-15% chance. Looks like cooler weather for Thanksgiving 60-80. Some report have it being more cold January-febuary so hopefully that doesn't kill anyone's early mango blooms and stays over the 40s.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 03:13:17 PM »
Much needed rain.
John

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »
Expected to be heavier tomorrow.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »
Anyone else getting rain? Got  rain Saturday started out late got heavier than downpour in the early Am. Today I've had a steady rain most of the day.. Reminds me of the late 80s when we had these lite steady rains all day most of the winter. I remember well. My Father had sod business. It was my job to get the trucks in and out of the field pushing with a forklift. Also has been quite windy
]

Not sure about acorns over mangoes, but they definitely prefer macadamias over lychee.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 07:47:08 PM »
]

Not sure about acorns over mangoes, but they definitely prefer macadamias over lychee.

an offering for the adorable tree demons

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2023, 08:03:25 PM »
Fort Lauderdale will surpass rainiest year on record today.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2023, 03:11:58 PM »
Has Fort Lauderdale broke all-time wettest year of 102.56 inches set in 1947 yet?
Sitting at my sliding glass door window drinking coffee watching it Pour down rain pretty much been raining all day. Hopefully the Gulf side will get their share of this Bonanza of precipitation🙂
All my trees are looking fairly clean except coconut cream which truly is an anthrachnose magnet
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 03:14:31 PM by bovine421 »

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 06:06:15 PM »
It rained here for 12 hrs steady rain and gusty winds. I thought we were down only 13" of rain but that must have been total rainfall. Naples airport is a few miles from me and recorded only 19" this year. I'm thinking we got about 4-5inches of rain yesterday. So we're probably down 20" now.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2023, 05:45:54 AM »
Got quite a bit of rain here in central last night fortunately was able to spray fungicide early Sunday morning. At my irrigation setup for frost protection and built a few PVC structures for frost cloth in case of need.

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 08:54:30 AM »
Uh jealous. I dont get snow but winter with frost and freeze is a major let down. I think im destined for the boonies of south Florida.

Greater Good

• Coral Gables, Florida Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2023, 04:47:40 PM »
All that rain then warm weather has induced new flushes of growth on my Venus and Juliette. I'm worried  they don't have enough time to harden off and flower by February

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2023, 09:05:46 PM »
60 this morning.  Really nice to wear a jacket.  My Honey Kiss tree just had a growth flush, but it's probably still too young to give me fruit next summer.
John

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2023, 03:33:31 AM »
The TV weatherman on our Tampa TV was telling us last evening that tom'w (WED - 11/29) morning we should expect lows in the morning in the city of around 45F. (with some patchy frost possible).  I'm not really expecting any frost, though where I am.  (Fingers X-ed!) and...

...Then a warm-up WED Afternoon.  What a Fahrenheit-y roller-coaster Florida dan be!

This will be an interestng cold tolerance test for some of my tropical fruit trees and especially for my Eugenias and Garcinias.

It wIll also be interesting to observe how my several banana cultivars react to this sudden cold.

Good Luck All!

Paul M.
==

hipasfolk

• Central FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2023, 06:10:19 AM »
The 40 degree jump over two days...

I got paranoid and dragged all my pots into the garage yesterday afternoon (minus the cold hardy trees). Significantly easier to do in 60 degree weather than 100 and humid during hurricane prep.

Some of the more sensitive very small stuff got brought in the house. Half my bananas are in ground already though so they gota extra mulch and the smallest ones got wrapped in Christmas lights. My practice run for potential freezes later.

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2023, 06:32:08 AM »
Heater is pumping hard in the greenhouse! This should make some mango bloom, Woo-hoo! Hoping all the varieties on my stump project bloom. So far honey kiss has some pea sized fruit forming. Separate fruit punch tree pushing some flowers as well. Stay warm everyone.