Author Topic: Defoliated carambolla, will it ever refoliate ??  (Read 603 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Defoliated carambolla, will it ever refoliate ??
« on: June 05, 2022, 04:50:06 PM »
My 5+ year old seedling carambolla deffoliated slowly over the course of several months. The leaves are still falling, there seem to be some growth tips starting to wake, but they just look that way, no growth happenning atm.
All of the branches are green, whats goin on?
The plant is inground in a greenhouse, planted last spring.....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 04:58:53 PM by Plantinyum »

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: Defoliated carambolla, will it ever refoliate ??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 05:02:53 PM »
They don't like soil temps below 70f.They become susceptible to pythium and phytophthora soil fungi

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »
I had these issues too. They don't like wet feet. As shot notes, they are susceptible to fungus. I did get some growth when it warmed up but constantly dying back. I put it in the ground it would help and it seems to be kind of reviving.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 06:15:11 PM »
Mine do that in the winter. Mine are in pots. How warm is it there now? I had some die back in the winter. The guys may be right about the soil temps and wet feet. I will update my winter protocol.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 11:55:05 PM »
That was data from TREC, I remember Dr Crane giving a presentation on carambolla like 20 years ago.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 02:37:18 AM »
Double post....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 02:53:20 AM by Plantinyum »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 02:43:59 AM »
Well it was kinda awkward becouse the plant didnt start to deffoliate till march, by then there was still some leaf shed, but not as substantial. Right now we are having some hot summer days, the temp in the gh gets to probably 35C sometimes, however gh has shade net over it.
In winter the lowest temp in the gh was 2 - 2.5 C . Right after this coldest night the newest growth that was happening just dried, but strangely only on the top, the lower growth below an imaginable but clearly distinguished "line" was okay. At that time i remember i had a problem with the wood stove, one night it apparently got a violent fire and at the morning i was stumped when i saw alot of the plants having dessicatedparts on them. I was lucky the gh did not burned down, the stove melted a plexiglass barier between it and one of my cherimoyas...
The falling leaves right now are yellow and the plant seems to absorb the nutrients from them, as it should be happening with every plant ,under normal circumstances.  Cofee next to the carambolla is fine and growing atm.
I dont water the caramb much right now for obvious reasons, however i try to keep the soil moist.
Carambolla have awlays had a shedding leaf periods for me, however every time they have had leaf drop till now ,they have awlays had new growth at the same time, first time just leaf drop without new growth....

I'll give the plant the whole of june for it to start doing something,  if not will put it into a pot and free up the space for a citrus maybe.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk