Author Topic: Wrong Way to Support Banana Bunch :-(  (Read 691 times)

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
Wrong Way to Support Banana Bunch :-(
« on: August 10, 2022, 11:44:14 AM »
I was worried about this eye and string not being strong enough to support my banana plant and its bunch. I was wrong, about many things:

I suppose the good news is that the bananas were almost mature, or at least the top-most ones were. They were starting to turn yellow:

So, given what's happened, what's the best thing to do? Will the collapsed plant still do anything for the bunch? Or should I cut it off now?

Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong Way to Support Banana Bunch :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »
Hi Waterbug,

Jon from Encanto Farms Nursery has a great post for banana growing.  He says "even if the plant is 'folded' by wind damage, as long as there is some connection remaining in the flower stem, the fruit will ripen normally.  It is better to leave the damaged stalk 'as is' rather than damaging it further by trying to straighten or move it."

He also shows how to build a support for the fruiting bunch using 2 inch PVC and a 45 degree elbow and proper placement of the support.

Link to the article:
http://webebananas.com/culture.html

Hope that bunch ripens properly for you.

Janet

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:15:33 PM »
Hi Waterbug,

Jon from Encanto Farms Nursery has a great post for banana growing.  He says "even if the plant is 'folded' by wind damage, as long as there is some connection remaining in the flower stem, the fruit will ripen normally.  It is better to leave the damaged stalk 'as is' rather than damaging it further by trying to straighten or move it."

He also shows how to build a support for the fruiting bunch using 2 inch PVC and a 45 degree elbow and proper placement of the support.

Link to the article:
http://webebananas.com/culture.html

Hope that bunch ripens properly for you.

Janet

Janet, the link and the quote are perfect. Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!

I will suppress my urge to "do something" and let the bananas be bananas.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:59:12 PM »
I am given credit for this prop method but really did see others using it before me. Always put the fork in bamboo underneath the crook of the flower stem. The goal is to create a tripod with the two bamboo legs and the leaning banana stem. A tripod is the most stable shape and can withstand wind. If you need bamboo check around and find people with a large clump. Quite often they are happy to let you help control it, just pledge to remove the "top trash" from their property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFMjDn_FSEg&t

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
I am given credit for this prop method but really did see others using it before me. Always put the fork in bamboo underneath the crook of the flower stem. The goal is to create a tripod with the two bamboo legs and the leaning banana stem. A tripod is the most stable shape and can withstand wind. If you need bamboo check around and find people with a large clump. Quite often they are happy to let you help control it, just pledge to remove the "top trash" from their property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFMjDn_FSEg&t

Simple but effective. Very nice!

Sunrisefruit

• Sunrise, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 09:06:14 AM »
I do the same thing, but instead of putting a hose around the trunk, i put an old license plate around the trunk and hold it in place with Bungee Cord..
the license plate gives more support on a larger area of the trunk and prevents it from tilting over

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
Use a 1” or wider strap.