Author Topic: Maprang in ground zone 10A?  (Read 1506 times)

Monk

• Bayview tx
    • View Profile
Maprang in ground zone 10A?
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »
I saw a grafted 7g maprang for $105 is that a good price? the staff said to treat it like a mango. From my understanding maprang is more cold sensitive but maybe I’m wrong? Will maprang do well in zone 10a in ground and does it need a pollinator?

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
Re: Maprang in ground zone 10A?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 03:32:12 PM »
I’m told more tropical
So in ground is maybe too risky. I have one in ground by itself and pollinated fine

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 08:43:45 PM »
I really doubt it, my Mamey in coastal southern California fruits, but my Maprang just doesn't like the long cold winters. No frost but too much time under 50.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »
I have tried every stage of the this plant here in So Cal, from seeds to seedlings to 3 ft trees. The problem I found is not the So Cal cold temperature but it's the single digit humidity. I thought growing from seeds would allow the plants to acclimate somewhat, but no such luck. And I could literally see the plants going down hill the moment the humidity hit single digit.
Thera

Monk

• Bayview tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 10:20:04 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. It gets pretty humid here, I live half a hour from beach and on the ressaca, I don’t think the rasacca makes a difference unless I plant right next to the water. Sound like the maprang won’t fruit here so I’ll just stick with growing mangoes

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. It gets pretty humid here, I live half a hour from beach and on the ressaca, I don’t think the rasacca makes a difference unless I plant right next to the water. Sound like the maprang won’t fruit here so I’ll just stick with growing mangoes

It fruits here in South Florida. You should still give it a try.

Monk

• Bayview tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 09:39:37 PM »
I would love to grow a tree but South Florida is warmer than here. It gets to low 30s here plus it’s very windy 30-45 miles per hour wind is pretty common. If I plant it I think it needs a lot of babying plus I would probably need to build a green house around it. Maybe down the road when I have abit more free time and more experience with growing fruit trees

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 04:20:45 AM »
Maprangs take a long time to fruit as their juvenile period can be a bit like that of mangosteens and durians. It can be longer in less than ideal conditions. Grafting selected good heavy bearing parent scion onto maprang rootstock sure saves time. Better still marcott as they perform like champs then and can fruit in pots really fast. They can handle temps pretty close to freezing and I don't know how low they can go.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk