Author Topic: Questions about the "Dead()man's finger"  (Read 1100 times)

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
Questions about the "Dead()man's finger"
« on: May 03, 2020, 09:32:00 PM »
I have interest in a plant/fruit called "Dead()man's finger",However,this isn't about buying it(yet).This is about some questions about it. Anyone who has one or anyone who can answer these questions is greatly appreciated.

1. What is the temperature hardiness (I live in a temperate climate, so can it withstand cold?)?
2.I have heard this thing is self compatible(for fruit production), is this true?
3.Soil preference
4.What is its natural height? Do pots affect this?
5.(If 1. is answered no, or even if yes) Is this plant pot compatible? If yes, How deep/or big? Is it still capable of producing fruit?         
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:34:48 PM by PitangatubaMoray »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about the "Dead()man's finger"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 09:46:27 PM »
Have you any other name for this?  including in another language?  Do you know where it is from?  What does the tree or the fruit look or taste like?
Har

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:54:39 PM »
The scientific name is Decaisnea fargesii, Some common names are Blue bean fruit and Blue sausage fruit, It originates from asia, around southern china mostly, but also some other places near it. It is said to taste like watermelon. 

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:29:20 PM »
Its cold hardy to zone 6 and has a growing patern like a stalk with side branches ,verry unusual.
I grow Akebia wich is a vine related to this.
What is you cold hardiness zone ?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 12:19:55 AM »
I recall that a lot of seed outlets (even vegetable seed vendors) had this maybe 10 yrs ago but it seemed to died out in popularity so I am guessing that the flavor is not stellar.  Weird looking though.

SW, I have heard some people talking favorably about Akebia in the past, what are your impressions of it?

John

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 03:50:51 AM »
I recall that a lot of seed outlets (even vegetable seed vendors) had this maybe 10 yrs ago but it seemed to died out in popularity so I am guessing that the flavor is not stellar.  Weird looking though.

SW, I have heard some people talking favorably about Akebia in the past, what are your impressions of it?

John
So far i havent tasted the Akebia fruit but i got this small plant wich i wish to cover one of my shacks with it.
I watched the review of Sdravko ( AllTheFruit ) on youtube and he says its verry sweet but doesnt has flavor.
I got one plant convinced that it can flower and fruit by itself alone after reading the label but usually i think you would need 2 plants to set fruit.

Another interesting member of this family its Boquila or Lardizabala Trifoliata( sin.) .
This plant is a vine that mimics otther plants leaves including artificial plants.Its a plant that somehow ,,sees,, thogh its not iet understud by scientists how it does that.
Somme think it ,,smells,, the volatile oils from near by plants and knows how their leaves look like,otther think it makes a DNA transfer to copy the leaves of surounding plants but they are bad theories since it copyes the leaves of artificial plants also wich off course have no DNA and no volatile oils.
The fruit is edible and related to Lardizabala Biternata wich makes a fruit thats said to be high quality and looks like a small pawpaw.

My Akebia Quinata in the picture.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 06:50:24 PM »
Have you any other name for this?  including in another language?  Do you know where it is from?  What does the tree or the fruit look or taste like?

Looks like blue Cecropia fruit! Jared (Weird Explorer) said it tastes like Watermelon in a tasting video.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaisnea

AKA Blue Sausage Fruit, Blue Bean Plant.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 06:56:01 PM »
I have interest in a plant/fruit called "Dead()man's finger",However,this isn't about buying it(yet).This is about some questions about it. Anyone who has one or anyone who can answer these questions is greatly appreciated.

1. What is the temperature hardiness (I live in a temperate climate, so can it withstand cold?)?
2.I have heard this thing is self compatible(for fruit production), is this true?
3.Soil preference
4.What is its natural height? Do pots affect this?
5.(If 1. is answered no, or even if yes) Is this plant pot compatible? If yes, How deep/or big? Is it still capable of producing fruit?       

Supposedly hardy down to 5 F or -15 C

Can get 16-26 ft tall in ground