Author Topic: Breadfruit Tree is Finally in the Ground  (Read 1081 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Breadfruit Tree is Finally in the Ground
« on: April 12, 2020, 12:11:54 PM »
Had to wait for the cuttings to root nicely In the 7 gallon pot for the summer rains to start kicking in, but alas the time had come.  I’ve wanted to plant one for years and never got around to it. Made a nice hole and planted with a combination of compost, manure, and viogro garden soil, topping with cypress mulch. Looking forward to seeing its growth rate over the summer

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Breadfruit Tree is Finally in the Ground
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 12:22:21 PM »
Very cool. I put one in the ground last week. I am up in Ft Lauderdale. Mine is a root cutting from a Puerto Rican variety. Lets compare notes later on👍

FloridaGreenMan

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »
Very cool. I put one in the ground last week. I am up in Ft Lauderdale. Mine is a root cutting from a Puerto Rican variety. Lets compare notes later on👍

Sounds good to me! Mine is the Mahafala variety that’s common down here. It handles low temps down to 42-45F pretty well and stays relatively small at around 15ft without much pruning. Several friends of mine have actually been growing and fruiting them in shade houses for years and I want to say that fruit and spice park has the same variety in its greenhouse but I cannot confirm that at the moment

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:50:13 PM »

Sounds good to me! Mine is the Mahafala variety that’s common down here. It handles low temps down to 42-45F pretty well and stays relatively small at around 15ft without much pruning. Several friends of mine have actually been growing and fruiting them in shade houses for years and I want to say that fruit and spice park has the same variety in its greenhouse but I cannot confirm that at the moment

Sleepdoc has the Maafala growing in Davie and it did really well for a few years. I think it had some issues after being flood from a hurricane a few years ago but I think it's doing well again.

I think his grew taller than 15 ft after a few years.

I would like to try some of the other varieties that have been propagated by The Breadfruit Institute. https://globalbreadfruit.com/varieties/

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »

Updates?
Tried to get more varieties, but looks like the breadfruit institute doesn't prune their trees :P :P :P .

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
I planted one by my fathers house a few years back from PIN.
Got some tennis ball sized fruit last i checked.
I'll take a few pictures next time i go

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk