Author Topic: Variation of Lucs Garcinia  (Read 613 times)

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Variation of Lucs Garcinia
« on: June 14, 2021, 08:25:22 PM »
I have admittedly limited experience with this garcinia. However I have noticed that among my trees there is a good deal of variation. Some trees have long pointed leaves, while others have wider more squat shapes. Additionally, new foliage varies from light pink to a rich red. All of these trees have been grown from seeds provided by Raul and Luc.

Has anyone else noticed this variation? How does this correspond to variation in fruit?
Kenny

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Variation of Lucs Garcinia
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 09:55:43 PM »
I've got 4 trees still growing in pots and the leaf colour varies wildly. Some have deep red new growth whilst others have a creamy yellow.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Variation of Lucs Garcinia
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »
It was Raul I'm sure coined the identities like jumbo, fuyu and pumpkin. If youre out there pal are pumpkin and fuyu selections actually better than the standard? I have been waiting 7 years for seeds of the purple skinned one. Hahaha just kidding Raul I know they're like hen's teeth. I have 4 standards in the ground and 2 jumbos and I bet they're all males or semi bisex.. All the ones I passed on that flowered seem to have been females.
Oh yeah seedling off my tree have new growth ranging from pink to green. I dont think this is a good marker of genetic distinctiveness.