Author Topic: Question: when to graft rootstock?  (Read 1042 times)

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
Question: when to graft rootstock?
« on: April 30, 2022, 07:55:37 AM »
Hello fruit tree experts  ;D,

I just got some Spice Zee scions and some Myrobalan 29C root stocks (with some leaves). My question is: should I want couple weeks for the rootstock to get established? or should I do the graft now (right after planting)?

Always appreciate your inputs.

JD 

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Question: when to graft rootstock?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:57:34 AM »
You should go ahead and graft now!

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 11:46:16 AM »
Hello fruit tree experts  ;D,

I just got some Spice Zee scions and some Myrobalan 29C root stocks (with some leaves). My question is: should I want couple weeks for the rootstock to get established? or should I do the graft now (right after planting)?

Always appreciate your inputs.

JD
i am not fammiliar with the plants u have as rootstocks, but for me, i regularly take rootstocks of stone fruit and other species from the wild, plant them ai pots and graft them at the same season.
I usually plant the rootstocks before the plants wake, and when i see some action on their buds ,i graft.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 12:40:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll go ahead a graft now. I'll always used cleft graft in the past, maybe going to try tongue graft this time.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »
Thanks, I'll go ahead a graft now. I'll always used cleft graft in the past, maybe going to try tongue graft this time.

i hate cleft grafts even thought i have good succes with it. Its somewhat difficult for me to make the two sides of the scion even and a good contact with the rootstocks cut.
I very much like the bark grafting, easiest and i get very good succes with it, well i recal i generally have verry high success with grafting. With some species i have 100% takes, i anly use those two methods, the cleft i use when the rootstock and the scion are closely or at the same diameter, the bark graft i keep for  the thick rootstocks.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 11:12:10 PM »
I did both cleft and tongue (1 on the peach tree branch, 3 on the root stocks). After this, I think tongue graft is easier and secure. However, still uncertain because these 4 SpiceZ nectaplum scions have mostly flower buds.

Bark graft is not applicable here. I had 100% success with cleft graft (10 out of 10 atemoya onto cherimola). Bark graft about 50% (guava) initially, however end up failed because the grafted branch couldn't support the big trunk/root.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 11:36:48 PM »
its pretty hard to screw up peach or nectarine grafts.  even the sloppiest of grafts take easily.  Very rewarding trees to do grafting on.

Spicy Z has russeting (skin) issues in my yard.  I top worked mine to peach.  Every nectarine I grew had the russeting.  Ive gotten rid of all of them in favor of peach which all look pristine.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 11:50:53 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 01:07:36 AM »
its pretty hard to screw up peach or nectarine grafts.  even the sloppiest of grafts take easily.  Very rewarding trees to do grafting on.

Spicy Z has russeting (skin) issues in my yard.  I top worked mine to peach.  Every nectarine I grew had the russeting.  Ive gotten rid of all of them in favor of peach which all look pristine.

My only concerns are Myrobalan 29C root stock doesn't do well with peach and nectarine, also the scions are full of flower buds instead of leave shoots.

I got a low-chill peach (University of Florida developed); gotta love the flowers (like cherry blossom in spring). I tend to pick it early (green flesh) when it crunchy like a june plum.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 01:07:54 AM »
I did both cleft and tongue (1 on the peach tree branch, 3 on the root stocks). After this, I think tongue graft is easier and secure. However, still uncertain because these 4 SpiceZ nectaplum scions have mostly flower buds.

Bark graft is not applicable here. I had 100% success with cleft graft (10 out of 10 atemoya onto cherimola). Bark graft about 50% (guava) initially, however end up failed because the grafted branch couldn't support the big trunk/root.
about cleft i find that it helps to make the cuts very long, that way it has more space of contact with the rootsock. And there is the problem , u cant make the cut with one move due to the length of it, so i usually end up with something not as smooth ...

i did about 20 nectarine grafts onto wild plum rootstock , too early for conclusions about any of my grafts. .
Cant this russeting problem be solved with spraying against trips ? I am doing the oposite ,i removed my old peach since i planted a nectarine last year. I don like the fuzz on the peaches, thats my problem with them, probably the fuzz protects the fruit from the trips ??

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 01:57:12 AM »
I prefer the smooth skin of nectarine also but the fuzz doesnt bother me much.  I rather eat the fuzz than spray my trees.  Im not even sure its thrips.  Thats one possibility but ive never seen any.  It seems like its the flower itself that causes it when the fruit is tiny and it rains i think the wet flower remna ts may cause it.  Dont know, dont have time to figure it out or treat it.
Brad Spaugh

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 02:22:11 AM »
I prefer the smooth skin of nectarine also but the fuzz doesnt bother me much.  I rather eat the fuzz than spray my trees.  Im not even sure its thrips.  Thats one possibility but ive never seen any.  It seems like its the flower itself that causes it when the fruit is tiny and it rains i think the wet flower remna ts may cause it.  Dont know, dont have time to figure it out or treat it.
well i am also not sure of the couse of your problem, but when i googled  "rosseting on nectarine" as a reason was stated that the condition was coused by trips sucking the juices of the fruit when probably young, and then as it grows the damaged areas become as blemishes.
Didnt do a deep research but sounds feasible,  i think ive red about trips  cousing similar damage to other fruit species also...
Probably peaches may not have it becouse of the thick peel and the fuzz on it.

Alekhan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2022, 01:44:07 PM »
After a week, the 3 root stock graft do not look promising. I'm afraid the nectaplum doesn't like plum root stock. I should have stay with peach/nectarine root stock like Lovell, Citation or nemaguard.
However, the one graft on a peach tree looking good.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2022, 01:53:12 PM »
Nemaguard is much better than citation.  I wouldnt recommend citation at all, I dont know why they even sell it.
Brad Spaugh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk