Author Topic: Grafting 'Lucuma' scion prep and timing when to graft  (Read 839 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Grafting 'Lucuma' scion prep and timing when to graft
« on: October 13, 2022, 12:45:00 PM »
To all members who have grafted 'Lucuma' can you please post details of grafting experience. Looking to find out if scion wood need's to be prepared ahead of grafting and timing for grafting.
Thanks in advance.

ScottR

• View Profile
Re: Grafting 'Lucuma' scion prep and timing when to graft
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 12:28:46 PM »
I can't believe no one has grafting experience with 'Lucuma' the only think I've found on grafting lucuma is the following; https://www.rarefruitclub.org.au/Lucuma.htm.
And they say to graft in Spring, I tried this year with whip & tongue graft but they have not pushed any growth and one died. So, would appreciate any advice if you have grafted any Pouteria species!
Let's hear some grafting experiences I no Adam S. has grafted them so???

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2022, 12:52:08 PM »
Hey Scott,

I haven't grafted Lucuma but I've talked to Ben Porier, another SoCal CRFG member, and Reedo on the forum (who has given me a grafted plant he succeded with). 
Ben mentioned that you have to wait until you start to see buds forming and getting ready to push before selecting the scion for grafting. I also heard this from that other SoCal CRFG member.  Reedo grafted them in mid-late summer and was successful with about 3 out of 5 plants (I think). He cleft grafted these plants and tried to do a side graft as well but that did not take.   I'm probably going to try and attempt some grafts this spring/early summer and see how it goes.  I've got an airlayered plant and a seedling that started flowering. 

Have a good one Scott!
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2022, 01:01:20 PM »
Thanks Nate, I tried e-mailing Ben P. because I knew he had grafted them but never got and answer should of called. That's what I'm thinking too about waiting for buds to start then cut scion. I have stripped a branch on one of my Lucumas to see if that will make it push new buds but nata yet, just did it a week ago will see. ;)

socalbalcony2

• OC, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »
Hey Scott,

I haven't grafted Lucuma but I've talked to Ben Porier, another SoCal CRFG member, and Reedo on the forum (who has given me a grafted plant he succeded with). 
Ben mentioned that you have to wait until you start to see buds forming and getting ready to push before selecting the scion for grafting. I also heard this from that other SoCal CRFG member.  Reedo grafted them in mid-late summer and was successful with about 3 out of 5 plants (I think). He cleft grafted these plants and tried to do a side graft as well but that did not take.   I'm probably going to try and attempt some grafts this spring/early summer and see how it goes.  I've got an airlayered plant and a seedling that started flowering. 

Have a good one Scott!

You had success air layering? Someone with a tree told me they tried for years to get theirs to take with no dice.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 02:56:33 PM »
I haven’t grafted lucuma but it will be the same as grafting canistel or sapodilla.  Not the easiest to peg a graft.  The scion material should be barely just starting to push.  Ideally the rootstock is in a healthy growth cycle. Personally I think that a cleft graft is best and I enclose the whole thing in a plastic bag for a month.
Peter

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 07:11:00 PM »
Hi Scott,

I have succeeded in grafting them. I had three of three take. The scions were harvested by a friend around January or February. I remember thinking they didn't really have any swollen buds, but my friend who has the named varieties doesn't live nearby, so it was my only chance. I used a cleft graft, wrapped tight with a rubber band, and covered with parafilm. I left a few leaves on the plant and made sure to rub off any new growth below the grafts, similar to what you'd do for avocado grafts. Given that I received the scions in an odd season, I assumed they would take more babying that typical grafts, so I put paper lunch bags over my grafts. My plants were in my passive greenhouse and experienced temps from 40ºf-100ºf, thanks to our crazy heat wave in late winter. The scions finally began to push around April. At that point, I moved them outside. They're in the ground now, and haven't grown much all summer.

If I had more material to do it again, I'd probably wait until around April to do the graft. My guess is the grafts would take more quickly, but I can't say for sure. I'm in Zone 9b in coastal central California, so ideal grafting time might be sooner if you're further south.

I hope that helps!

Best,
Reed

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 11:54:14 AM »
Peter, thanks for your reply this will help me when I try grafting again this next year.

Reed, Big thank you to you for your sucessful graft's I use pretty much your protocall when grafting rubber bands, para-film or buddy tape, and white lunch bags. So, your experience will help for sure too!!
I appreciate all the replys happy growing all. ;) 8)
Also, the only difference with my grafting attemps will be my trees are outside so may start more in Spring -Summer to graft I'll keep and eye on my trees and go by growth cycle a least that is my thoughts right now.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 12:03:04 PM by ScottR »

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
Hey Scott,

Have a good one Scott!

Maybe worth noting, my failed grafts were when I attempted grafting green sapote onto lucuma. Approach grafts and cleft grafts both failed for me. I remember reading somewhere that perhaps these two species were put in the same genus without good reason, but never verified the claim.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2022, 04:30:40 PM »
Interesting Reed, thanks for input!

Odiss

• Panama, Bocas del Toro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 09:09:03 PM »
You can try approach grafting, it’s work 90-95%