Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Heritage raspberry zone 9?

(1/2) > >>

Itsmedata:
Hey i live in a zone 9a and i want to grow raspeberries, i can find to order only the heritage variety but i am not sure it will hold against the hot weather, i am in north greece and the winters are cold some years like down to -6 or -7 at night only for some days but our summers go up to 40c and i am worried it wont survive the summer, how heat tolerant is it

1rainman:
I don't know about the heritage variety. We had raspberries and blackberries in Florida. Raspberry does worse than blackberry and some varieties are more heat tolerant than others but generally speaking they survive heat and will even produce berries but they grow better in cooler climates. I doubt that it would die.

Galatians522:
I have grown Heritage raspberry in Florida (zone 9b). They benefit from shade and mulch when it gets hot. They don't live very long (due to disease more than heat I believe) but I could get them to last 2-3 years. I think you will fare better with them since you have dryer weather. Heritage has excellent classic raspberry flavor. There is one that would probably do very well for you called Dorman Red. It has Australian native raspberry in its parentage. The flavor is a little different.

Itsmedata:

--- Quote from: 1rainman on January 22, 2023, 05:23:49 PM ---I don't know about the heritage variety. We had raspberries and blackberries in Florida. Raspberry does worse than blackberry and some varieties are more heat tolerant than others but generally speaking they survive heat and will even produce berries but they grow better in cooler climates. I doubt that it would die.

--- End quote ---
alright thank you, i will give it a try, i was wondering cuz i have heard somewhere it eas just heat tolerant up to 8b

Itsmedata:

--- Quote from: Galatians522 on January 22, 2023, 09:20:49 PM ---I have grown Heritage raspberry in Florida (zone 9b). They benefit from shade and mulch when it gets hot. They don't live very long (due to disease more than heat I believe) but I could get them to last 2-3 years. I think you will fare better with them since you have dryer weather. Heritage has excellent classic raspberry flavor. There is one that would probably do very well for you called Dorman Red. It has Australian native raspberry in its parentage. The flavor is a little different.

--- End quote ---
i will try heritage, our weather is really dry except the summer months. This fall we didnt get a total over 10mm, i dont think we have a lot of diseases around here cause raspberries arent such a common thing for people to plant

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version