Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Is there any citrus still worth growing in south FL?

(1/11) > >>

TheVeggieProfessor:
Are all citrus varieties too high maintenance and disease prone to warrant growing? Or are there any species that are still relatively maintenance free? I'm in west broward county BTW>

skhan:

--- Quote from: TheVeggieProfessor on February 02, 2023, 09:13:37 AM ---Are all citrus varieties too high maintenance and disease prone to warrant growing? Or are there any species that are still relatively maintenance free? I'm in west broward county BTW>

--- End quote ---

I've been looking into it and growing a few things for fun.

Random thoughts and observations in no particular order:

One of the forum members recommended netting the trees, and that seemed to work well for him.

I personally just plant the $10 citrus from Home depot and replace them every 2-3 years (Lemon, Lime, Calamondin)

I have sugar bell growing and though it might be greening tolerant, it does look like crap more often than not.

It's possible to grow them well enough here but it is higher maintenance than something like Mango or Avocado.
For me, with 40 other trees, It's too hard to constantly spray things and I don't think I'd like the aesthetic of netting the whole tree.

roblack:
Kumquats and fingerlimes do best from what I know.

Timbogrow:
In my opinion the citrus industry has no future in florida unless we take measures to destroy all the plants for a decade or more so that MAYBE there is a future industry. They don't care about that though with the amount they sell their only in it for $ and don't give 2 hoots what happens or how resistant they are to disease. My 2 verigated lemons I have 3 yrs now just started flowering and now seems the nematodes are devouring the roots and the canopies are thinning out, looking like crap. Too much work to replace trees every few years to keep the disease alive. I'm never buying another stupid citrus tree anyway. Mango is king anyway so don't waste your 3 years to have you plant eaten up above and below ground.

Tropheus76:
Supposedly if you grow a citrus under an oak canopy with oak leaf mulch you are more likely to have less problems. I am experimenting with this currently in a neighboring wooded lot. I know I see a lot of citrus in pine farms under the canopy and they appear from the road to be doing quite well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version