Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Not enough Durian Discussion

<< < (137/138) > >>

DurianLover:

--- Quote from: fruit nerd on January 30, 2024, 03:29:37 PM ---No experience planting trees anywhere near that size for me. They are huge :). What you say makes sense to me but I'd be interested if anyone has experience planting something like these.

--- End quote ---

Yes, just trying to figure out whether to go with this size, or much smaller but initial smaller tree would be healthier and more productive long term.

Finca La Isla:
Are those grafted or seedlings?
I think they are to be avoided but that doesnít mean I wouldnít plant that😂.
Perhaps I would do a lot of foliage thinning and cut root tips to try and stimulate them. Iím thinking that those trees might have been in the ground, then dug out to sell??
Peter

DurianLover:

--- Quote from: Finca La Isla on January 31, 2024, 08:23:35 AM ---Are those grafted or seedlings?
I think they are to be avoided but that doesnít mean I wouldnít plant that😂.
Perhaps I would do a lot of foliage thinning and cut root tips to try and stimulate them. Iím thinking that those trees might have been in the ground, then dug out to sell??
Peter

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the tips. I have no idea if they have been in the ground. Yes, trees are grafted. No other size available at the moment. I really want this variety, hence willing to take a risk. Picture send to me by reliable guy in a nursery business who has 2 hectares of just mamey to experiment on. I would trust him with everything else, just don't trust with durian roots :)  Hence, the question.

0hip:
if they are grafted just buy one and do a ton of approach grafts off it. you would definately have to do a root prune. i dug up my durian that was significantly smaller and in a pot for three or so years and even after two years in the ground it was still root bound and i could just pull it out of the ground pretty much

This was after two years in the ground. We are not in the best climate for them so the root development wonít be the same as the idea environment but still not the best

ben mango:
Potted durians can be big enough to fruit in a container, have seen it and posted about it before. I bet those have stayed in the pots, thinking the trees would not survive being up-potted after being in the ground but canít be sure. Those trees still look worth planting to me, should be fruiting soon if not already

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version