Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Pears in southern CA

<< < (2/3) > >>

spaugh:
i looked at the pear trees yesterday and they are already coming out of dormancy and starting to bloom!

Not sure if Ill actually recieve the new trees I ordered online but we will see, it was a reputable nursery.  Not sure what they are waiting for to ship. 

Regarding sending from Europe, I think its not worth the efforts honestly.  I appreciate you offering it though. 

SoCal2warm:
I have been growing the rare Passe Crassane pear. It produced two fruits, two different years. The fruits grew to a decent size, but unfortunately both times the fruits failed to fully mature to ripeness, even after being picked and sitting in storage for 2 months. (The fruits eventually dropped off if not picked) The tree might still be a little immature. Chill hours do not seem to be too much of an issue, even though this is in climate zone 10 (on the border between 10b/10a).
I have speculated that since the variety Passe Crassane is parthenocarpic, chill hours are not as much of an issue.

AndrewAZ:
I am growing 3 varieties in Scottsdale,  AZ.
Seckel, Waddell Giant, and Ayers.
Seckel has fruited regularly.  Waddell Giant has not fruited yet and I just planted Ayers.  From everything I read, these have the best potential to produce good fruit with low chill.
Ayers is hard to find.  Bought mine on ebay.  As far as I know, Waddell giant is only sold at RSI nursery in glendale, AZ.  I have heard the fruit is really good.  Got flowers last spring, hoping for fruit this year.
Also, although I don't know the exact method, you are supposed to pick pears ubripe, and then store them in a cool, dry, dark area for uniform and best flavor.

pinkturtle:
I got the xinjiang fragrant pear from a friend last year around this time.  It is flowering now.  I don't know it is a true one or not, when I were in his place, the shape look identical with Xinjiang pear I brought from the supermarket.

spaugh:
Today my bareroot D'anju, Comice, and Bartlett trees showed up.  Super nice big size gauge bare roots from dave wilson.  Going to pop them in the ground later today. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version