Author Topic: Both mangoes just fell off their trees--Green Sweet Tart vs Yellow Lemon Zest  (Read 515 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
I and others eat these new (2012) Zills this way. Cut the halves off close to the seed as possible. Like filleting a fish. Scoop out the halves with a spoon and eat/ Then scrape the skin to get multi-interesting tastes. Eat around the seed as much as possible for more multi-tastes.

The ST is the green skin one. Not rock hard at all.  It was slightly soft. Though all green outside the flesh was orange and sweet. Had full ST sweetness and nice acid complexity.
The LZ was full ripe yellow skin. Tasted 75% as good and sweet as the full taste LZs I have eaten. To be fair the LZ was ripe to slightly over ripe. (the ST was not!) So in LZ not much acid complexity, the sweetness overwhelmed it.

Verdict: Sweet Tart was the winner

In one photo note the large seed in ST. ST has a high seed to flesh ratio. Both kinds are poly-embryonic unless I am mistaken.

Above two photos show the mango halves from LZ (right) and ST (left).

With your tablespoon scrape the skin for all remaining flesh and good tastes.

The above two photos show the large ST seed compared to an intact ST half and a skinned ST half. ST has high seed to flesh ratio.

Best eaten outside then washing hands and face with this:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 09:27:46 AM by zands »

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Both mangoes newly fell off their trees-- Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 01:10:20 PM »
That's an epic mango battle!

ST wins in my book as well.

Outside with a hose is best. Might start eating them in the pool or shower; so many of my shirts are mango stained now its ridiculous.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Both mangoes newly fell off their trees-- Sweet Tart and Lemon Zest
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 10:28:09 AM »
That's an epic mango battle!
ST wins in my book as well.

I was surprised that an all green outside ST was as full taste as any ST I have eaten. Zero yellow flesh inside it. Flesh was all orange, not any yellow which you see in some non-ripe mangoes. Though many FL backyard mangoes will be yellow inside when ripe. As always for your average mango -- orange means sweet and yellow means acid and....... Might mean disgustingly unripe, picked unripe such as most mangoes we get from Mexico, Peru, Brazil and so on. Picked unripe for ship-ability. In northern states they don't know the difference. All they know is Mexico etc. and cheap.

Those imported mangoes have one good use and I see it on YouTube.  It is to extract the unripe flesh and make a sauce for chicken, fish and meats. Be sure to add some sugar! (luls)

Lots of Hass these days come from Mexico where new mega-plantations have come on line. These are good avocadoes. But I just tried to sprout a seed from one and it wouldn't sprout. Maybe they are irradiated?
Florida-Dominican Republic avocadoes -- Their seeds always sprout for me. DR is now a huge producer and shipper to us of non-Hass avocadoes. Also called watery avocadoes, with less oil than ye classic Hass, which is all that most people know.
Here is what we know about the three botanical races of avocado, respectively called (1) the West Indian (formerly known also as the South American), (2) the Guatemalan, and (3) the Mexican (also known as the “criollo”): Each exhibits a characteristic suite of traits that includes differences in leaf chemistry, peel ...May 24, 2016 ---- (from internet)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 10:39:14 AM by zands »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk