Author Topic: Is there any citrus still worth growing in south FL?  (Read 4851 times)

Tortuga

• Myrtle Beach, SC
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any citrus still worth growing in south FL?
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2023, 12:04:57 PM »
Kumquats and fingerlimes do best from what I know.

My exact experience. May just be my luck, but my Japanese Yuzu (C. junos) is thriving; wont fruit for a year or two though.
Even though the variegated centennial kumquat had good bug resistance, I still replaced it with a container starfruit. Much easier to deal with.

As far as planting by oaks, supposedly best way to fight citrus greening. Has to be planted in the ground though, some sort of symbiosis in the soil or something idk. Likely will still require sprays.

I have heard about planting underneath oaks as well with good success.

I was visiting Orlando last month and did happen to visit the Showcase of Citrus. They had over 20 varieties of adult citrus with no greening issue. Maybe because they are more north.

Varieties they had were Valencia, honey bell, pineapple orange, meyer lemons, kumquat, Persian limes

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2023, 01:29:36 PM »
But isn't 'Honey Bell' supposed to be resistant to greening?

Paul M.
==

Calusa

• St Petersburg, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2023, 04:36:30 PM »

I was visiting Orlando last month and did happen to visit the Showcase of Citrus. They had over 20 varieties of adult citrus with no greening issue. Maybe because they are more north.

Orlando is well within the Florida citrus grove belt. You would have to leave the state to get away from the HLB psyllid. But those trees you saw are probably micro-managed to keep them in optimum health, and perhaps heavily treated with imidacloprid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk