Author Topic: How to remove pulp from seed  (Read 1119 times)

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
How to remove pulp from seed
« on: December 19, 2022, 12:24:11 AM »
Trying to save some seeds as I can't plant them right now. Any suggestions on how to remove pulp from seed? Thanks.

Also any tips on saving citrus seeds would be helpful.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove pulp from seed
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »
I don't save many seed so I clean them by mouth.  Citrus seeds must stay moist at all times.  In-the-fruit storage works best.  Citrus seeds age fast.

Vegan Potato Man

• Honaunau, HI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 05:30:24 PM »
You can use some sort of abrasive like perlite/pumice/growstones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usHRJanZvWI

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2022, 02:10:48 PM »
I treat them with pectinase, wash with cold tap water, keep for 10 minutes with 1% bleach, wash and put at +4C in zip lock bags in sterilized perlite.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2022, 07:48:11 PM »
Moist perlite? or Dry? Thanks

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 04:07:29 AM »
Not too wet, semi dry.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
:Large commercial nurseries crush the fruit under water string the resulting mixture with pectinase and warm  temperatures to separate the seed from the pulp  and washing out the seed.  The washed seed is surface sterilized with 125F water for 10 minutes, dipped in 1% Hydroxyquinoline sulfate, air dried on screens in the shade, and packaged in plastic bags, When storing, it is important to leave these storage bags open initially until the seed equilibrate with the refrigeration temperature, Fresh seed can be stored at 40-F for as long as 6 months.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »
For small lots I usually try to float out most of the pulp in a tall glass of water, repeat the process of tipping out the floating pulp, refill and tip again.
I usually pick out floating seed and keep, as I am not convinced all are non viable.
For the last of the seed, washing them through a strainer helps. A fine mesh tea strainer will grab pulp on the mesh but not seed. Tip off the seed, then clean the strainer and repeat till pulp is gone.
For large seeds, some pulp will wash thru a spaghetti strainer with bigger holes. You can pick out the seed from the pulp, and wash some pulp thru until you get all the seed.

It seems best to use fresh fruit for seed extraction. Older broken down semi dry fruit are harder to deal with, and seem to be prone to mould and bacteria infection of the seed. Seeds often already discoloured and stained at the pointy end where the root emerges.

I have received commercial seed, some with Hydroxyquinoline sulphate treatment which seems the better method compared to Thiram treatment of others.
Thiram seems to prevent some moulds forming on stored seed, but does not prevent other moulds attacking the planted seed. You can still get a high rate of induced albinism.
Hydroxyquinoline sulphate is used in some acne medications, but not in Australia as far as I can find.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 03:41:00 PM by pagnr »

martweb

• Germany, Bavaria, Maisach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 07:45:24 AM »
I only pick out floating seed, when I have a larger number of normal seeds, but when I do certain crossings the number of seeds is not so high and every seedling is welcome even if it sprouts later or is weaker at the beginning. When you do wide crossings pick out floating seed could contain the real hybrids.