Author Topic: Misting System Recommendation  (Read 530 times)

hammer524

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9B
    • View Profile
Misting System Recommendation
« on: April 18, 2022, 01:15:20 PM »
Hello, I've cobbled together a shadehouse/ greenhouse this winter for my figs and tropicals. I want to install around ten or twelve misting nozzles around the tropical side of my shadehouse. The area is 10 feet by 20 feet. Would you recommend that I pick up a ~180 PSI Pump? Or could you recommend a system for me. My house has a water softener so hopefully the lines don't get clogged too frequently. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Misting System Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 04:40:42 PM »
I would not mist with softened water. It has too much sodium, which may get into the soil in the pots. Your outdoor faucet shouldn't have softened water (kills gardens), so I would hook a timer up to the outdoor faucet and then hook the misters right to that.  What I do to prevent my misters from getting clogged is to use a descaler. It keeps them from getting plugged and doesnt use salt. The descaler I use is an in-line kind, like used in the line before water heaters. You could put it between the faucet and timer. Or just clean the nozzles regularly with a needle...

Carolyn

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 04:58:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Ill try to work in the descaler treatment with my fertilizing routing. I am also using filters on my outside faucets as well.

Would you recommend that I buy a pump for the mister or does that make such a big difference with a small set up?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
I have always just used the patio misters that hook straight to the hose faucet. Heaps of pressure. I have about 60 mister heads in the greenhouse and it just runs off the hose. You can usually string a whole bunch of the patio misters together and not lose pressure. I only keep the outside faucet turned on at 1/4 of a turn.

Carolyn

hammer524

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2022, 06:56:17 PM »
I went ahead and bought a couple of the Orbit professional misting systems from DripDepot.