Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

2023 White Sapote Taste Test - Best Ones on Your Trees

(1/8) > >>

sc4001992:
I had posted this in another thread so I moved it here to highlight the white sapote for 2023.

If you have tasted any of your white or yellow sapote, please post a photo, variety name, and taste results.

Here's the older thread of my info below:
=========================================================
Update, now that is has been a few years since this post was active, I can give you some updates on my white sapote fruits.

I have now tasted the following fruits:
1. McDill
2. Yellow Sapote (from Arboretum)
3. Younghan's Gold
4. Super sweet
5. Cuccio
6. Suebelle
7. Vernon

My favorite so far on this list is from best to worst.
1. Younghan's Gold
2.  McDill
3. Cuccio
4. Vernon
5. Super Sweet

I have the following flowers/fruits on my grafts this year, so I hope to add to the list of fruits I tasted this year.
1. Clytia (from Jack)
2. Younghan's Gold
3. Super Sweet
4. Vernon
5. Butterscotch (AJ)
6. Bonita Springs
7. Vernon
8. Nettie
9. Mary Lane (ML)
10. Yellow Sapote seedling (Arboretum)
======================================================

sc4001992:
I have tasted the yellow sapote from my tree of the CSUF arboretum variety. It is very good so I will update my favorit list below:

1. Younghan's Gold
2.  McDill
3. Yellow Sapote (CSUF) variety - it has no name on the placard.
4. Maddox, yellow sapote seedling of #3 above from CSUF
5. Cuccio
6. Vernon
7. Norm's - this is an old un-named variety
8. Nasrin - from AJ
9. Super sweet

Should be able to taste the C. tetrameria #7 very soon, huge fruit.

sc4001992:
I finally picked the C. Tetrameria #7 that is grafted on my white sapote (McDill) seedling tree. This is the first time I had full size fruits on the graft. It had 3 large fruits growing so I had to remove 2 of them since the grafted branch was not that large/thick to hold the weight of 3 fruits.

This fruit is a record size for me, almost 2 lbs, wow!

Here's the photo below. Brix reading was 15, not real sweet, but still very good tasting. It has no off taste, you can eat the skin (soft) if you like. Seeds are on the smaller size for this fruit. My wife said it tasted like a banana to her.

sc4001992:
Ok, another update on my list:

1. Younghan's Gold
2.  McDill
3. Yellow Sapote (CSUF) variety - it has no name on the placard.
4. Maddox, yellow sapote seedling of #3 above from CSUF, ate many fruits now (3), still have 2 more hanging.
5. C.Tetrameria #7
6. Cuccio
7. Vernon
8. Norm's - this is an old un-named variety from CRFG member.
9. Nasrin - from AJ, first time to fruit, very small fruit but tasty, it's a keeper.
10. Super sweet

Should be able to taste the Clytia in another month, fruit size is small/medium.

jbirdfunk:
This thread is great, can't believe I didn't see it before. I've been eating a lot of these recently from a local tree and some farm stand finds, and wanting get some of the best ones. That Tetrameria #7 is incredible looking. Would love to see photos of each variety.

I'm germinating lots of seedlings for some grafting later on. Where have you mostly found your scions? Hoping the local CRFG exchange in January has some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version