Author Topic: Chlorosis or something else?  (Read 893 times)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Chlorosis or something else?
« on: October 26, 2023, 02:19:35 PM »
Father in law has a lemon variant that he's brought Inside to overwinter, but it is going through what appears to be some form of nutrient deficiency or bacterial / viral infection. It looks a bit different fr the normal types of chlorosis I've seen before - anyone have thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Chlorosis or something else?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2023, 09:13:46 AM »
That is a really interesting pattern, and it sure has me stumped.

I am surprised none of the experts have been able to ID the problem yet!

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2023, 05:40:46 PM »
I think there are several problems here: the defeat of some pathogens simultaneously with one or more deficits.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »
I would guess that it's related to being indoors. First thing to check is spider mites. Second maybe light levels or duration indoors. It's probably semi dormant and spider mites.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 04:39:25 PM »
To me it does not look anything close spider mite damage.  Unfortunately, I think the tree has a bacterial or viral disease
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 02:56:41 PM by Millet »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 11:24:18 PM »
I grow a lot of citrus varieties, and if that was my tree, I would be nervous. Is the fruit showing the same pattern as the leaf, can't tell from your photos but it kinda looks like it.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 02:35:34 PM »
Is the midline of the fruit curved or straight? If itís curved when you cut the lemon down the poles is HLB.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2024, 11:25:44 PM »
I grow a lot of citrus varieties, and if that was my tree, I would be nervous. Is the fruit showing the same pattern as the leaf, can't tell from your photos but it kinda looks like it.

Kaz, are you doing anything to deter Asian citrus psyllid?  Or any preventative measures?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 05:27:33 PM »
No, nothing special, I don't spray anything harmful on my citrus or fruit trees. I only give them fertilizer maybe once or twice a year. But I do keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary, bugs, leaf colors, mites, white flies on my branches and fruits. When I see any flies or bugs starting to get on my tree, I use a strong water spray (nozzle) and wash off the bugs before it becomes a problem. All my citrus seems to have solid green leaves and are very healthy with lots of fruits yearly. Way to many fruits for one family so I'm always picking fruits now every week and giving them away to my neighbors.

I have not seen any ACP on my trees, but my area is in the quarantine zone like most cities in LA, Orange County. So far so good, have been growing citrus since the 1980s with no issues on my trees (over 80 varieties). Of course, all my citrus trees are either in-ground or in pots outside, not indoors so I wouldn't have the issues that some people growing them indoors will have.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:30:50 PM by sc4001992 »

Lovetoplant

• Oxnard,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 01:36:30 AM »
Thanks.  What types/brands of soil are you using for the citrus in pots?