Author Topic: my fruit activities during this non-fruit trip to FL  (Read 12277 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
my fruit activities during this non-fruit trip to FL
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »
AM HEADED TO FRUIT AND SPICE PARK TOMORROW MORNING.
does anyone know whats fruiting there at the moment?
in particular, does anyone know if any of their jabs r fruiting at the moment?

considering this was a non fruit vacation- i have done pretty well.

have managed to pay a visit to the mecca of tropical fruits- harry's place where i got to taste black sapote for the first (and last) time.  got my family to stop off at robert is here for milk shakes- oh what a surprise, they sell fruit as well?
i picked up 3 pounds of passion fruit- purple and yellow ( i love passion fruit) , some asian guava which i had never tasted before and was quite impressed with, and some kent mangoes from peru which robert told me were amazing - i picked up a box and a half of the mangoes  and got home tasted one- very bland and insipid.  i asked robert if he had ever tasted Maha Chanok mango and he dismissively told me he wasnt sure because  there are 600 mango varieties. i wasnt very impressed with his answer-not much of a fruit person for someone who spends his life selling fruit.

tomorrow i head for fruit and spice park and then maybe pine island to pick up a plant or two

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: my fruit activities during this non-fruit trip to FL
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
Wow, black sapote is that bad to you?  I thought about obtaining a grafted tree from Toptropicals or growing seedlings.  However, I'm reassessing if it's something I want to have because of the comments I've been reading here.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:22:17 AM »
AM HEADED TO FRUIT AND SPICE PARK TOMORROW MORNING.
does anyone know whats fruiting there at the moment?
in particular, does anyone know if any of their jabs r fruiting at the moment?

considering this was a non fruit vacation- i have done pretty well.

have managed to pay a visit to the mecca of tropical fruits- harry's place where i got to taste black sapote for the first (and last) time.  got my family to stop off at robert is here for milk shakes- oh what a surprise, they sell fruit as well?
i picked up 3 pounds of passion fruit- purple and yellow ( i love passion fruit) , some asian guava which i had never tasted before and was quite impressed with, and some kent mangoes from peru which robert told me were amazing - i picked up a box and a half of the mangoes  and got home tasted one- very bland and insipid.  i asked robert if he had ever tasted Maha Chanok mango and he dismissively told me he wasnt sure because  there are 600 mango varieties. i wasnt very impressed with his answer-not much of a fruit person for someone who spends his life selling fruit.

tomorrow i head for fruit and spice park and then maybe pine island to pick up a plant or two

EEEK!  I know a few trees that you should get fruits from/ seeds from at fruit and spice that are in demand....such a pity :'(  I don't think you appreciate my input.

I find it blasphemous to speak of a trip to  fruit and spice, with out an organized game plan and list of seeds to collect.... ;)

email me if you want any species and locations of specimens...and of course if you see Mr. Rollins, introduce yourself and ask if you want seeds/small volunteer seedlings/cuttings/ or fruits, to leave the park with...otherwise, most employees aren't to keen on letting guests leave with any fruit or other plant materials, just seed.

Good luck young fruitsman. :)

And cosmically karmic fruit trip :o
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »
Wow, black sapote is that bad to you?  I thought about obtaining a grafted tree from Toptropicals or growing seedlings.  However, I'm reassessing if it's something I want to have because of the comments I've been reading here.

Rodney, don't think you should take lycheeluva's comments to heart until you taste the fruit yourself. Believe it or not there are people that hate lychees! Gasp!!! Does that mean lycheeluva shouldn't plant lychees?
That said black sapote rarely makes anyone's top 10 list (while lychees consistently do) and black sapote is a large tree. So if you have a very small yard it's probably not a good choice. But the real litmus test always is to taste the fruit yourself BEFORE planting.
Oscar
Oscar
Oscar

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

Rodney, don't think you should take lycheeluva's comments to heart until you taste the fruit yourself. Believe it or not there are people that hate lychees! Gasp!!! Does that mean lycheeluva shouldn't plant lychees?
That said black sapote rarely makes anyone's top 10 list (while lychees consistently do) and black sapote is a large tree. So if you have a very small yard it's probably not a good choice. But the real litmus test always is to taste the fruit yourself BEFORE planting.
Oscar
Oscar

RODNEY- I totally agree with oscar- taste for yourself and decide for your self ( and i dont think you will disagree!)

Adam- not sure where you are getting the impression from that I donT value your input or that I was chiselling away at your karma points. I appreciate everyones input (some more than others!)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:21:11 AM by murahilin »

warmwxrules

• La Crosse, WI, zone4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:38:30 AM »
I went there during January a few years back.  Not much was ripe if I remember correctly.  Neat place to wander around. I'd like to go back during summer or whenever more fruits were ripe.

Nice warm day in Miami...lucky!

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »
I've only eaten from one ripe black sapote. It was from Excalibur, and the appearance was the hardest part to get past. I thought the taste was pretty good. Not fantastic, but good. And I'm not one who would want to go to all the trouble of blending it up, mixing with other ingredients to make a pudding or something. If I want to make a chocolate pudding, I would just use store-bought ingredients. I guess if yard space were not an issue I might consider planting a tree...but then again, probably not.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:52:41 PM »

Oscar
Oscar

Excellent advise as usual Oscar, you stole the words from my fruit eating mouth ;D ;)

Have had horrible black sapote...and also lovely sweet, floral, pudding like ones....don't give up!!! Noel Ramos, and Toppy Feild, both have nice fruits on their trees...excellent sweet flavor...eat plain, no sugar, or with creme on top...WOW sinful yet soothingly sweet and reminiscent of chocolate mouse if properly prepared ;D
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
Sorry Gerry, the jaboticabas are not in fruit, but they are in flower which is impressive nonetheless.  LOTS of carambola, black sapote (try the ones there as a comparison), candlestick fruit (will make you long for a black sapote), bananas, guavas (try the Cas guava!), some Gac, jujube (large Thai variety), and a few others.  There is an interesting smelling Eugenia right next to the main grouping of jaboticabas that smells like a peach, but it not as yet identified.  Good luck!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Sorry Gerry, the jaboticabas are not in fruit, but they are in flower which is impressive nonetheless.  LOTS of carambola, black sapote (try the ones there as a comparison), candlestick fruit (will make you long for a black sapote), bananas, guavas (try the Cas guava!), some Gac, jujube (large Thai variety), and a few others.  There is an interesting smelling Eugenia right next to the main grouping of jaboticabas that smells like a peach, but it not as yet identified.  Good luck!

Could it be Eugenia stipitata? That is the only eugenia i know that smells like peach. But i guess you Warren already know about these large peach smelling eugenias? Do you have a photo of mystery eugenia?
Oscar
Oscar

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:51:49 AM »
I've only eaten from one ripe black sapote. It was from Excalibur, and the appearance was the hardest part to get past. I thought the taste was pretty good. Not fantastic, but good. And I'm not one who would want to go to all the trouble of blending it up, mixing with other ingredients to make a pudding or something. If I want to make a chocolate pudding, I would just use store-bought ingredients. I guess if yard space were not an issue I might consider planting a tree...but then again, probably not.

I completely agree. Not worth the planting space. PJ1881 planted one once, then realized his mistake and dug it out. I think he planted a mango in its place.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:00:05 AM »
Hi Oscar,  I did take a couple of pictures, which are attached.  I was with Chris Rollins at the time and he said he didn't know what it was and that what it came labeled as, it was not.  Its located near the jaboticaba grouping if anyone is in the area and wants to get a closer look.  I'll try to get more (better) pictures.  The taste was not really sour, at least when overripe.

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:20 AM »
warren-came across it and was wondering what the hell it was and so stole one to investigate with my mouth. no clearer after eating. sour and kind of reminded me of maprang but no way near as good. 

they had a blue berry looking fruit out on the tasting table- size wise in between blueberry and jab. forgotten what it was called. started with an r i believe- somehing like rukum? was pretty good. can someone give me the correct name?

in other news, i fractured my thumb in a batting cage.serves me right. a brit has no business in a batting cage.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 10:37:18 AM »
Hi Gerry, 

The fruit that you tasted is Flacourtia rukam. 

Sorry to hear about your thumb.  :(

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
tx warren

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
warren-came across it and was wondering what the hell it was and so stole one to investigate with my mouth. no clearer after eating. sour and kind of reminded me of maprang but no way near as good. 

they had a blue berry looking fruit out on the tasting table- size wise in between blueberry and jab. forgotten what it was called. started with an r i believe- somehing like rukum? was pretty good. can someone give me the correct name?

in other news, i fractured my thumb in a batting cage.serves me right. a brit has no business in a batting cage.

Rukam is pretty good. The ones i've had were pretty sour, I probably didn't eat them ripe enough. Was yours sweet?

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
sheehan they were sweetish. good enough that i ate most of the fruit in the tasting plate! id need a bloody big garden to give up space to grow them though

anyone growing rukam?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
Had cuttings once upon a time....derived from fruit propagation class, circa 1995.  They grew well, flowered and fruited in pots.  Got rid of them.  Not worth growing IMHO....even with 2.39 acres to play with.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 03:37:54 PM »
difficult to disagree, harry

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
Hi Oscar,  I did take a couple of pictures, which are attached.  I was with Chris Rollins at the time and he said he didn't know what it was and that what it came labeled as, it was not.  Its located near the jaboticaba grouping if anyone is in the area and wants to get a closer look.  I'll try to get more (better) pictures.  The taste was not really sour, at least when overripe.

Eugenia victoriana, get with the program people >:( ;D ;) :)

This fruit is extremely sour.  So sour the rats, possums, fruit flies, raccoon, employees, fruit stealing park visitor humanoids, and even R2D2 (posted on starwars board that this is most sour fruit his robotic sensors had ever been exposed to) pass them up.

I always see these and E. stipitata on the ground, "just lying there" (cohen brothers burn after reading ;D ;D)   and nothing seems to want to eat them

Same with G. xanthochymus...

but if you B.Y.O.M.F. (miracle fruit), the result is a twisted taste bud party, which is much more inviting for these extremely acidic guests of your mouth.

I always bring my own miracle fruit...these fruits listed above are amongst the best I've had with miracle fruit and the most under rated.

:)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:44:37 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »

Eugenia victoriana, get with the program people >:( ;D ;) :)

This fruit is extremely sour.  So sour the rats, possums, fruit flies, raccoon, employees, fruit stealing park visitor humanoids, and even R2D2 (posted on starwars board that this is most sour fruit his robotic sensors had ever been exposed to) pass them up.

I always see these and E. stipitata on the ground, "just lying there" (cohen brothers burn after reading ;D ;D)   and nothing seems to want to eat them

Same with G. xanthochymus...

but if you B.Y.O.M.F. (miracle fruit), the result is a twisted taste bud party, which is much more inviting for these extremely acidic guests of your mouth.

I always bring my own miracle fruit...these fruits listed above are amongst the best I've had with miracle fruit and the most under rated.

:)

No it is not Eugenia victoriana (sundrops) which are very intense orange colored, also leaves look different. It is probably Eugenia pyriformis (uvalha). There is a round form of this form and fruits and leaves look identical to what you posted. See p. 211 of Brazilian Fruits book (Lorenzi).
Oscar
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 06:24:54 PM »
Thanks Oscar, I'll take a look.   :)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 06:58:27 PM »
Oscar,

don't think this is pyriformis because its so small in stature, and it has fruits almost 4months out of the year...E. pyriformis has less of a fruiting season, and a taller growth habit...the leaves of this look like E. victoriana, just not as glabrous...the E. pyriformis doesn't have impressed nerves, where as the Sundrop E victoriana does...

Keep in mind these trees are grown at fruit and spice, not where they come from in South America...and leaves sometimes look different due to environmental conditions.

I'd be surprised though, If chris didn't know what the hell a Sundrop was...

Was this plant near the bananas? and Jaboticaba trees? right off the asphalt path for the Trams?

Maybe a subsp. of E. victoriana, but no way E. pyriformis...sorry Oscar...I've seen this tree personally several times, and eaten the fruits...I don't believe Uvalha is even on the list of species in the fruit and spice collection, and I'm almost certain Sundrop is.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 08:21:49 PM »
Oscar,

don't think this is pyriformis because its so small in stature, and it has fruits almost 4months out of the year...E. pyriformis has less of a fruiting season, and a taller growth habit...the leaves of this look like E. victoriana, just not as glabrous...the E. pyriformis doesn't have impressed nerves, where as the Sundrop E victoriana does...

Keep in mind these trees are grown at fruit and spice, not where they come from in South America...and leaves sometimes look different due to environmental conditions.

I'd be surprised though, If chris didn't know what the hell a Sundrop was...

Was this plant near the bananas? and Jaboticaba trees? right off the asphalt path for the Trams?

Maybe a subsp. of E. victoriana, but no way E. pyriformis...sorry Oscar...I've seen this tree personally several times, and eaten the fruits...I don't believe Uvalha is even on the list of species in the fruit and spice collection, and I'm almost certain Sundrop is.

Adam, here is what sundrops (Eugenia victoriana) looks like. You can see the outer skin is very shiny and orange. Nothing like fruit in the photo posted for ID:

Here is what leaves of sundrops look like. The sundrops leaves are on left and araza (Eugenia stipitata) leaves are on right. Very different leaves from photo posted for ID.

Here is another photo of sundrops and araza, in case you're still not convinced:

The Eugenia pyriformis has many different forms, but only know one form of victoriana. Look at photo in Lorenzi book, you will see pyriformis matches photo posted for ID.
Oscar
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Eugenia uvahla ?
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 06:01:48 PM »

Don't know if this will show the quote with pics , I just changed the subject .

Warren , I think I have one like this , only bigger fruit , very similar to stipitata but a lot more orange and more fragrant , pulp is also more orange , 6 to 8 seeds imbedded in the very juicy acid pulp ( like in stipitata ) . Also a lot bigger than the average stipitata . Definately not the victoriana or a pyriformis . Looking at Oscars pics of victoriana it seems that the seeds are loose and not too much pulp available. I have it marked as Eugenia uvahla ???
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north