Author Topic: Trellis Ideas, suggestions?  (Read 1738 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Trellis Ideas, suggestions?
« on: January 04, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »
I wanted to make some Trellises for Passion fruit, grapes, melons, and other vining fruits. These would be constructed in sandy soil in Florida. I just wanted to get some recommendations on building something that will last at least 5 years. Post material, wire anchor and wire setup. Recommended height (I was thinking 5ft?).

Any suggestions, tips, or tricks would be helpful  :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Re: Trellis Ideas, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:44:18 PM »
Vertical posts - steel square tubing with a concrete base? Steel mesh panels welded onto horizontal steel tubes - IMHO 5ft ht is too low? Or are you aiming for building low to avoid wind damage?

I don't know the specifics of how to weld wire mesh to steel tubings much less compute the weight each section can handle before you need another vertical steel tube in there to reinforce/prop up the horizontal support. I only trellis mirliton squash - my passifloras are just trained to grow whichever way sideways on the cyclone fence.

My main concern is that a concrete base might affect your soil PH.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 02:52:26 AM »
This is just a suggestion but allowing overhead growth along spaced strands is more efficient than just in rows which are fence like.
Make it 8 ft high with large posts anchored firmly and connected by thick wire strands at about 4,6 and 8ft (top) in parellel rows.Laterally connect between posts at 6ft and on top. Posts can be 12 ft apart and rows about 8ft apart.
Commercial passionfruit growers do it a few different ways.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:12:17 AM »
If you are not keen on having to sink deadmen to anchor wires or end brace assemblies, I have seen concrete mesh and cattle panels mounted on posts used to good effect. The concrete mesh can be formed into an arch.

I picked up a trailer load of 10 by 4.5 foot galvanized fence panels (1/4 inch vertical wires, 1 inch square tube steel rails) when the pool fencing laws changed here. In the summer I set them up on frames to grow gourds, cucumbers and beans. The fruit hang down for easy picking and they are easy to take down at the end of the season to tear off all the old vines and store flat. That way I can do crop rotation in the veggie patch. I find these temporary trellises easier for annuals.

But if you have the space an overhead wire trellis like mike mentioned is easier for perennial things like grapes and passionfruit where pruning is required to keep old unproductive wood to a minimum. It just gets too hard to try and pull long vines through mesh openings overhead. We had alot of grapes growing up and pruning them on an arbour was a nightmare. If you build a wire trellis have a look at the gripple viticulture fittings. The gripple patent has expired so you can find generics that are less pricey, and they will save a ton of time tying, tightening and adjusting wire. If you go with wire if is probably best to use medium tensile wire for any lengths less than 50 yards.

Rob