Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620714 times)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1625 on: February 23, 2021, 12:58:24 AM »
Central Coast of California zone 9b
Soil: Sand

In ground/soon to be:
Guava/pseudo-guava x10, avocado x6, cheromoya x2, Surinam Cherry x2, lucuma, Manila mango, vernon white sapote, finger lime, fig x8, macadamia, persimmon, blueberry, kiwi, coffee Arabica, wine grapes, various banana, various citrus, and various stone fruit.

Greenhouse:
Kwai muk, jabo x4, achacha, g. Madrono, g. Braziliansis/intermedia? x2, luc's garcinia, black pearl wax jambu, miracle berry, blackberry jam fruit, uvaia do campo, Randia fitzalanii, sugar apple, Papaya, Surinam Cherry.
Where do you get lucuma?
Cheers!

Keen

• Oahu, Hawaii, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: February 24, 2021, 02:30:40 PM »
Hello, My name is Keenan, I'm from Kaneohe Oahu. I'm a firefighter with the Honolulu Fire Dept. I just bought a house with my wife and the yard was a total mess, weeds and grass only. We started clearing the weeds and adding fruit trees and flowers around the perimeter. So far I have a avocado tree, a orange tree, a plumeria tree, a couple of different palms and a few different types of flowers. I am interested in good smelling flowers, dwarf fruit trees and grafting. 😁

rfielding

• Academic geographer interested in food security
    • South Carolina, USA, USDA Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Russell Fielding
« Reply #1627 on: February 26, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
Hi, I'm a geographer currently based at Coastal Carolina University in Conway, South Carolina. I'm interested in the broad topic of food security and the region I have the most experience in is the Caribbean (mainly Barbados and St. Vincent). My reason for joining the forum is to learn more about breadfruit, aka 'ulu, aka pana, etc. I've started a new topic and am currently searching through the archives to read some of what's been said here about breadfruit in the past. I have a lot to learn! You can read more about my work here: russellfielding.com.

Russell Fielding

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 03, 2021, 03:42:33 AM »
Welcome Keenan and Russell.

Keenan, love Hawaii, my wife and family are there now having a nice vacation while I stay home grafting my fruit trees.

Russell, interesting info on your link. Your background is also varied and interesting that you ended up teaching and now a geographer. I'm a retired engineer so nice to see a CS major guy here. I did have a question for you about what does "food security" mean ?

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 07, 2021, 02:17:21 PM »
Hello my name is Bryan.

I used to be on a Gardenweb tropical fruit forum about 10 years ago with the same name and recognized some names on here.

I'm making a video showing my new dooryardand fruit trees today.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 07, 2021, 02:36:40 PM »
Hello my name is Bryan.

I used to be on a Gardenweb tropical fruit forum about 10 years ago with the same name and recognized some names on here.

I'm making a video showing my new dooryardand fruit trees today.

A blast from the past...
- Rob

hornad

• USA, Washington, Bremerton, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 06, 2021, 10:21:03 AM »
I'm in bremerton washington and I'm interested in tropical fruit because it seems silly to just restrict myself to cold hardy plants.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 16, 2021, 04:37:17 PM »
Hi, my name is Janet.

I am so glad to have found this forum.  The collective experiences and knowledge here are so valuable, I wish I would have known about it sooner. 

I live in Laguna Beach, California, zone 10b, 2 blocks from ocean.  Summer highs average in the low 80’s, winter lows in the 40’s.  I’ve been gardening here for 20 years, mostly edibles.  Main challenges to growing have been lack of full sun, alkaline clay soil, and root knot nematodes.  I’ve learned a lot through countless failures and variety/cultivar trials.  My husband and I bought a farm in Fallbrook last year.  We are excited to have the space to grow our wish list of tropical and temperate fruits in full sun with well draining, granite soil. 

BQ McFry

• Avocados in zone 7B? Maybe! http://tiny.cc/ppmmuz
    • Gaston County, NC 7B
    • View Profile
    • Avo7BProject
« Reply #1633 on: April 18, 2021, 12:30:48 PM »
Hello, I'm in Gaston County, North Carolina - about 25 miles west of Charlotte. This area is where the 8A moderating effects of Lake Wylie and the Charlotte heat island dissipate, transitioning into 7B.

I didn't set out to do gardening, but several years ago I bought an acre of land to subdivide, and then realized for a couple of reasons it was not a good candidate for development. So I moved into the old house that was there, began fixing it up, and thinking about "What should I do with all this land?"  8) It's sloping, south facing property with sandy soil... a good site for experimenting.

I started out planting some native wildflower plots to fill in eroded areas. Then added a few blueberry bushes, and allowed a volunteer peach tree (that I found in the weeds) to root and flower.

I have 4 mulberry seedlings on the property now, two were transplants I found growing behind a laundrymat in town, and the other two from nurseries. I'm just beginning to see a few mulberry flowers on the oldest one (which is about chin height).

I am learning that it can be interesting to tinker with plants and see what grows, and can feed me. :D This year I have some okra, squash, and tomatoes in large pots in addition to the fruit trees.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 12:33:43 PM by BQ McFry »

Orto1978

• Sardinia 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 20, 2021, 03:45:34 AM »
Hi All,

Pleased to join the community. I am located in Sardinia, USDA somewhere between 10a and 10b. Forst isn't the problem here it is the strong winds we often get and the intense sun June through August.

I grew up in more northerly environments and have many years experience with temperate fruit orchards. THe recent move to a sub tropical climate has opened up a whole new adventure in fruit growing for me.

Pleased to meet you all
Ciao
Sam

Pedroboy

• USA,CA,Pacifica,9b-10A Sunset 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: April 23, 2021, 09:16:13 PM »
Greetings to all -

OK - so at 20 posts in here, I guess I dropped the ball on the timely self - introduction thing, but here goes:

As my handle might suggest to some L.A. based members on this board, I'm a South Bay LA native who - despite 40 years in the SF Bay Area - hasn't quite managed to shake his affliction with all things tropical.
I was a lurker over at Palmtalk for awhile and still keep a small collection of mostly New Caledonian and New World cloudforest natives, but I figured it was time to come clean about my growing food forest obsession. 

Even amongst the community of rabid palm geeks I know up here, things like Cherimoya and White Sapote have already been on the radar for a couple of decades , but I have to confess how doubtful I was when I first dropped in to Papaya Tree Nursery in Granada Hills probably 15 years ago - to hear Alex Silber evangelizing feverishly about this Jaboticaba thing. Job o' WHAT?!!

To my everlasting shame and regret, I backed away slowly with my spindly 5g. El Bumpo. Tires spun, gravel flew and I didn't look back - until now. Arrrrgh!

Anyway, fast forward to 2020 and the marvels of Eugenia, Plinia and Garcinia began to reveal themselves - courtesy of a couple of incredibly generous, intrepid and knowledgeable members on this board who - lucky for me - mostly live just down the road a piece.

You already know how this movie ends - with a suddenly never ending 'must have' list. Thanks to all here who make up this incredible repository of science, folk wisdom and voodoo every day. Irreplaceable.

Cheers,
Chris

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 12:46:25 AM by Pedroboy »

TrashStar

• NorCal Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: April 26, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »
Hello, everyone!
I’m located in Northern California and I’m growing a variety of fruit in my home orchard. ☺️
I’m excited to be part of a community where I can learn more about the foods that feed us.
I’m currently growing pomegranates, kumquats, mandarin kumquat, limes, Meyer lemons, blood oranges, manzano bananas, avocados, Gala apple, nectarines, pawpaws, and atemoyas. I’d love to find cherimoya trees, since I haven’t been able to germinate from seed, or maybe I’m doing it wrong? That’s where you’ll come in, to educate me, and I’m looking forward to it.
Thanks for having me.

naikii

• Australia, Canberra, Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Live Love Canberra
« Reply #1637 on: April 28, 2021, 06:08:03 PM »
Hello hello all!

I am in Australia and have around 20-30? subtropicals in pots.

I am in one of the coldest cities in Australia and am about to enter my first winter where I will likely witness a plant massacre of epic proportions as the days get colder. Would love to see some other zone pushing folk on here and how they get through the worst months of the year!

greenfig

• SoCal, z10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: April 30, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Hello everyone!
I am in Southern California, I am interested in Figs, Guavas, Pomegranates, Mulberries and other tropical fruit trees.
I am looking forward contributing to this forum.

BloomAndBurn

• Texas Zone 8b
    • View Profile
    • Bloom&Burn
« Reply #1639 on: May 01, 2021, 02:49:14 AM »
Hi I'm Celena and I'm a Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX. I'm an avid vegetable gardener and lover of topical trees and plants. I currently have varying varieties of mangos, lemons, Mandarins, Oranges, Limes, Grapefruit, mulberry, pomegranate, bananas, atemoya, lychee, cherimoya, feijoa, cacao, jaboticaba, achacha, dragonfruit, figs, asian pears, plums, persimmons, Barbados cherry, grapes, monstera and papayas. I'm happy to be apart of this group and look forward to learning more about grafting, growing my own trees from seed and I'm sure much more.

DragonsAlleyNursery

• San Antonio, TX, USA
    • View Profile
    • Dragon's Alley Nursery
« Reply #1640 on: May 04, 2021, 09:07:42 PM »
My name is Sam.
At Dragon's Alley Nursery We love sharing our personal growing experiences and promoting the urban food forest idea.
Last year we added 100+ varieties of common & wild dragon fruit plants and we are very excited to see them grow.
We are not actively selling dragon fruit cuttings or rooted plants yet as our plants are young and we would like to verify the fruit before we sell our plants. Selling true to type plants is our top priority.
Our website it up and running for information purposes only until we get licensed under our new name.
Feel free to browse www.dragonsalleynursery.com
So glad to be here with you all

Alan_Tampa

• USA, FLORIDA, TAMPA, CITRUS PARK, ZONE IS DENIAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: May 06, 2021, 01:50:09 PM »
My name is Alan, I live in Tampa.  I have been in zone denial for 30 years.  I grow jackfruit, jujube, inga, grumichama, spondias, some garcinias. Of course, lychees and logans.  I will have to post some pictures soon. Most of my plants have been in ground nearly 20 years.

I have gotten fruit on everything, but 2010 smashed the jackfruit so it didn't really start to fruit till 2016.  It had fruit on it 2010 when it froze, big letdown!  Winter fruit are weird.

I also grow a few palms and whatnots.

kumarsagarA475

• India, Rajasthan, Baran
    • View Profile
    • Online Vegetable Store
« Reply #1642 on: May 18, 2021, 09:39:11 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am Kumar Sagar, in this covid-19 pandemic, I recently started my own online fruit store. Just got to know about this forum from one of my close friend. 
He told me that I would get relevant & helpful advice from you members.

DAVID M.

• USA,TX,SA9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 23, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
Hello folks,
I am David from Texas 9a zone. i'm a backyard gardener and i love to grow fruit trees.
After the Deeeep Freeze, this is what i have left are:

4x persimmon trees
4x peach trees
1x apple tree
1x dekopon tree
1x variegated lemon
10x fig trees
1x strawberry guava
3 nectarine trees
1x finger lime bush

i am starting to add to my tree collection for my children and grand children. of course to share with family and friends.
Thank you for allowing me to join. God Bless and Happy Growing.

Tropical Fruit Man

• Lutz, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 24, 2021, 07:34:56 PM »
Greetings. I'm new to this forum. I hope to learn more about tropical fruits.  I currently have a channel on you tube: Tropical Fruit Man.  I have a decent collection of tropical and rare tropical fruit trees.  Visit my channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8HYz5VXlrqQlb4eQY1U3Nw

liuan

• China
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 24, 2021, 10:46:44 PM »
I come from China. I can't speak English, but I want to join you.

The above words are from the translator. If there is any mistake, don't blame it

Timbogrow

• Naples, FL 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: June 01, 2021, 07:29:13 AM »
Hello, Tim here. Just getting into the fruit arming thing the last year after purchasing a home with existing mango trees, strawberry guava, mulberry, and loquat. Since moving in we have added about everything else that is said to grow in the zone such as ice cream bean, bananas, pink variegated lemon, guava, jaboticaba, papaya, jackfruit, dragonfruit, white sapote, passion fruit, lychee, sugar apple, goji berry, araza, longan, and tons of seeds sprouting now also of other fruit plants. Its almost a 3 acre lot and after clearing 70,000 lbs of invasive exotic vegetation from the back we are getting plenty of sun now to grow fruit trees.

toadshade

• USA, Georgia, Atlanta 7 A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: June 04, 2021, 10:31:18 AM »
My name is Scott and I live in Decatur just outside of Atlanta Georgia.  I have just finished building my greenhouse just for growing tropical plants and specifically Mangos.  The greenhouse is 16x16x16 feet.  The roof opens to allow the rain to water the plants and to keep out the cold in the winter.  I have the ability to heat the greenhouse to any outside temperature I want but keep it as cold as possible for financial reasons.  I hope to find some answers to a lot of questions about growing mangos in Atlanta.  My "Carrie" mango just arrived and I hope to get it in the ground as soon as possible.  I will be researching the best ways to do this and hopefully in true forum style, I will avoid asking too many questions that have been answered ad nauseum.  I also plan on growing as many tropical fruits and vegetables I possibly can in the greenhouse.  The only other trees planted in the ground right now is my Key Lime and a banana.  I already have a small citrus tree collection. My first one was my Ponderosa Lemon that I purchased for $1 on the back of a Cheerios box in 1979 and is still fruiting every year!

johncollin

• KOffeeExpress
    • NJ, USA
    • View Profile
    • Koffee Express
« Reply #1648 on: June 16, 2021, 07:07:40 AM »
Hi All-
My name is John Collin, I am a New Jersian that got Fresh and enjoys drink tropical frozen drink mix.  I am enjoying the tropical fruit growing experience here very much.

Thank you,
John
Best regards,
Koffee Express

Darryl Gross

• St.Croix, VI
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: June 24, 2021, 08:50:01 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Name is Darryl, and I am new to this forum. I have been dabbling in tropical fruits for about 15 yrs.
Some exotics I have:
Dorian, Ranbutan...Lomboy and many more. I enjoy reading the posts regarding other's experiences, techniques and achievements.
Have a Sunny day!