Author Topic: Paging Oscar (fruitlover): durian question.  (Read 2392 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Paging Oscar (fruitlover): durian question.
« on: October 09, 2016, 01:38:05 PM »
I just saw a video clip by Lindsay showing that she received some fresh durian mailed via USPS from Hawaii. On several occasions, I've bought fresh durian from the markets, but I was never sure of the quality, many turned out excellent, others a waste of money. I was wondering if you have any on your farm that you are willing to send?
Thanks,
Trung

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Oscar (fruitlover): durian question.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 05:26:56 PM »
i would love some fresh durian too.  Maybe he can start an export durian business.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
On his website it says that he can't ship Durio seeds to California. I have never looked into that. I can only imagine no seeds/no fruit. I got some monthong from Thailand last time I was out in the East Bay and it was delicious. The seeds were viable as well. I like them ripe and creamy.  ;D
-Josh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:46:32 PM »
I just saw a video clip by Lindsay showing that she received some fresh durian mailed via USPS from Hawaii. On several occasions, I've bought fresh durian from the markets, but I was never sure of the quality, many turned out excellent, others a waste of money. I was wondering if you have any on your farm that you are willing to send?
Thanks,
Trung
/
Durian season ended about a week ago. I don't see how she could get fresh durian via USPS? Can you send the link of the video? I think smell would be overwhelming and postal service would refuse it.
BTW the reason i don't send durian seeds tp California is that they require ag inspection and cost would be too great for most people. All durian seeds already sold.
Oscar

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:13:23 PM by murahilin »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 06:35:19 PM »
Thanks for the link. If you look at beginning images of the boxes you can see that they don't have an ag inspection sticker on them. So it looks like they were not sent legally.
I could get boxes inspected, but i think USPS would not be happy with boxes stinking up their sorting facilities in transit. Also keep in mind that durian easily sells here, as there is enough demand for the fruits right here. So why would any business mail them out?
Oscar

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »
Thanks for the link. If you look at beginning images of the boxes you can see that they don't have an ag inspection sticker on them. So it looks like they were not sent legally.
I could get boxes inspected, but i think USPS would not be happy with boxes stinking up their sorting facilities in transit. Also keep in mind that durian easily sells here, as there is enough demand for the fruits right here. So why would any business mail them out?

They were inspected and sent legally.  Since durian is not a fruit fly host, it is legal to ship, provided it gets visually inspected by the authorities.  Ono Farms on Maui is currently doing this mail order via their website, when in season. 
There may be more to come in the future, we shall see. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk