Author Topic: Sale: anona scions  (Read 77653 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Sale: anona scions
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
It will take two years before you'll see a fruit but once it starts leafing out and growing plant it

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Got my scions yesterday!  ;D I started grafting yesterday on my cherimoya. Gonna continue the rest today.

What type of graft do you guys typically do on annonas? I'm doing the z-graft method on them because I got 100% success rate with it on my citrus, stone fruit trees, etc. this past couple of months.

Does T-bud graft work on them?

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2017, 06:38:27 PM »
 Frank great thread for a annona grafting newbie like myself!

so i grafted 3 days ago and I see some bud tips are now through the parafilm...can they take that quickly? or am i just seeing what i want to see..
always longing for a JA Julie

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2017, 12:12:16 AM »
Frank great thread for a annona grafting newbie like myself!

so i grafted 3 days ago and I see some bud tips are now through the parafilm...can they take that quickly? or am i just seeing what i want to see..

That's store energy it's not uncommon. This is the best time of the years to graft anonas. it's very exciting to see those buds swell and push. On small potted tress keep shaded and make sure they don't dry up.

gue soo lee

• sks
    • korea
    • View Profile
    • The happiness
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2017, 03:59:31 AM »
Scions arrived today.
Most arrive in good condition.
Thanks for the extra scions.
The best seller.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Scions arrived today.
Most arrive in good condition.
Thanks for the extra scions.
The best seller.

Gue
Good luck to you
Raim
I stick to cleft on small potted seedlings. Veneer with establish trees

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
By the way Frank, of the 3 scions i have pushing after just a few days..they are the three Randhirs....

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
By the way Frank, of the 3 scions i have pushing after just a few days..they are the three Randhirs....

They will eventually all take if you use the same method these scions are bursting with juice.....the trees are very robust. Here is how your anon and diversifolia should look in one moth

luak

• U.S, Arkansas, Eureka Springs,Z7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
Frank, got my shipment today(3/17/17). Sionwood look excellent, finish grafting an hour ago, looking good(veneer graft)
Thanks a lot, Bob.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Frank, got my shipment today(3/17/17). Sionwood look excellent, finish grafting an hour ago, looking good(veneer graft)
Thanks a lot, Bob.

You are welcome Bob. Here is how your graft should look 7 weeks after it takes. To your far right diversifolia to your left atemoyas, sugar apples and others

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2017, 05:59:37 PM »
Thanks a lot, Bob.
Frank, do you sell your grafted tree's outside California?
You are welcome Bob. Here is how your graft should look 7 weeks after it takes. To your far right diversifolia to your left atemoyas, sugar apples and others

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »
Done.  Ed Self, master grafter and fruit grower did the dirty deed Frank, received today.  Said the scions were some of the best he's seen.  Many thanks!  Appreciate the stick of Selma too.  Is that the real deal as Ed said he shared a box of Selma with Houston growers a while back and they went nuts over the quality.

Mark

Guayaba

• USA, California, San Diego, 10b Sunset 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Thanks a lot, Bob.

I hope mine look that good in a couple of months.  Keeping my fingers crossed!
Bob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
Mark
My best regards and congratulations to Ed......you guys are lucky to have him in the great state of Texas. Remember all these scions come from in ground establish trees, some 40 years old, so these scions are hard to beat. Selma is a wonderful fruit for some, I've had people tell me it's their favorite, but for me it's very average......but as our friend Rob always reminds us taste is subjective.

MangCau

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
Frank,
The big PPC scions are pushing thru the film. Thanks for all the woods.
David
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:10:01 PM by MangCau »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:14 PM »
Frank,
The big PPC scions are pushing thru the film. Thanks for all the woods.
David

That's great David
Please show us the leaf in a few weeks

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2017, 09:59:11 AM »
The scion 2017 sale  is officially on the books. I have deleted all anona varieties and this thread is now open for discussion on the status of your current grafts.

I want to thank everyone for their tremendous and sometime overwhelming support
Till next July
Frank
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:03:09 AM by JF »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2017, 10:05:17 AM »
Thank you, Frank, for providing us with so many great varieties and always adding new ones.  When I get into grafting my own, you're my man!
John

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2017, 10:37:54 AM »
Mark
My best regards and congratulations to Ed......you guys are lucky to have him in the great state of Texas. Remember all these scions come from in ground establish trees, some 40 years old, so these scions are hard to beat. Selma is a wonderful fruit for some, I've had people tell me it's their favorite, but for me it's very average......but as our friend Rob always reminds us taste is subjective.

This service really speaks well for your character Frank.  Not here to butter anyone up, but the opportunity to get such fine sticks and genetics is truly welcomed and appreciated by all (and that includes the avocado scions I got from you).

Having said that I got a note from a SoCal cherimoya grower saying he doesn't find much difference in the varieties regarding taste.   Yes, Rob is right, taste is subjective *depending* on many factors - climate, culture, location, etc. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Do you think cherimoya flavor differences are more subtle than mango?
John

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »
Mark

This service really speaks well for your character Frank.  Not here to butter anyone up, but the opportunity to get such fine sticks and genetics is truly welcomed and appreciated by all (and that includes the avocado scions I got from you).

Having said that I got a note from a SoCal cherimoya grower saying he doesn't find much difference in the varieties regarding taste.   Yes, Rob is right, taste is subjective *depending* on many factors - climate, culture, location, etc.

For sure, I second this. Frank your prompt service and responses are extremely appreciated. Especially for me, a relatiive annona newbie who's been getting a little bored with mango, lychee, saps, citrus and other stuff in my yard..never been a huge annona fan outside a sugar apple here and there..but the opportunity you give to try new things has been great...haven't been this excited in my yard for a while like seeing all these different annona grafts taking...looking forward to growing these and trying different stuff you come out with.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
Mark

For sure, I second this. Frank your prompt service and responses are extremely appreciated. Especially for me, a relatiive annona newbie who's been getting a little bored with mango, lychee, saps, citrus and other stuff in my yard..never been a huge annona fan outside a sugar apple here and there..but the opportunity you give to try new things has been great...haven't been this excited in my yard for a while like seeing all these different annona grafts taking...looking forward to growing these and trying different stuff you come out with.

Jani
 you are off to a good start I can't see why these California atemoyas wouldn't work in FL.....keep us posted

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2017, 10:50:46 PM »
received mine on thursday. I just grafted mine today. one tree with 5 varieties on it.  First time grafting anon and have no idea what I'm doing. I did some mango grafting last year first time too and 3 trees were successful. we'll see.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »
received mine on thursday. I just grafted mine today. one tree with 5 varieties on it.  First time grafting anon and have no idea what I'm doing. I did some mango grafting last year first time too and 3 trees were successful. we'll see.

I think everyone must find their own comfort zone regarding grafting styles and methods.  For me its veneer, cleft or t-bud.  Quality of wood, timing, sharpness of blades.....all that matters.  Ed and I are now using what Carlos turned me onto for softer woods - avocado and younger mangos.....any kind of tender wood.  That would be a Schick singe injector blade held in a #3 medium Excel or Xacto holder.  I think for cambium unions to occur not only must there be a good match but an extremely clean, surgical type cut.  You go bruising and crushing tissue and it aint gonna work.

Good luck!

Mark

luak

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2017, 11:17:56 AM »
Mark, Carlos wrote an article several years ago about the Shick set-up and i have been using his for soft wood all the time,I even bought a lot of extras blades just in case they quit making them.I do have to add a little tape to lock the blade a little better.Exacto have 2 models i use the heavy duty one.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 03:23:09 PM by luak »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk