Author Topic: Growing Mango trees in Southern California  (Read 107675 times)

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Mango trees in Southern California
« Reply #700 on: October 22, 2021, 03:25:50 PM »
My fruit is still hanging on the tree and ripening here in Riverside (just starting to get red blush but no yellow yet) and ai am very excited to taste what I hope is a proper Valencia Pride and not the more stunted fruit I harvested in prior years.

When to pick: when the green skin starts turning to yellow, cut the stem off with about 1/2" attached on the fruit to prevent the valuable oil bleeding out. Keep in room temperature until most of the green turned to yellow then eating time. Don't delay or inside becomes jelly seed.

If you like Valencia, then plant the giant version: Lancetilla taste and look the same but over 2 pounds huge fruit.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 23, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
I'm in a zone 10 in SoCal with fortunately very mild winters.  I would like to try to fill out my mango season to have either ripe fruits or green mature fruits all year long.  For now I have a gap from Nov to Jan. Does anyone know of varieties that will still carry mature greenish or ripe fruits from November to January in our area?  Thanks!

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 23, 2021, 02:17:12 PM »
For now I have a gap from Nov to Jan.
how do you manage to have fruits from Feb to June?

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 23, 2021, 05:56:18 PM »
Sorry Max I think I should rephrase what I mean by having fruits. I enjoy most of my mangos while green even if it's sweet or sour.  I will occassionally eat them ripe in a bountiful year. I grow mainly 3 varieties.  Nam Doc Mai#4 and Laverne Manila fills my months from Feb through Jun. But again very mild weather here.  NDM#4 blooms 3 sometimes 4 times a year for me but very prone to powdery mildew and fruit split for me.  Currently I have hundreds of fruitlets about 1 to 2 inch in size, they will be ready to eat green and sour around Feb.  And if left to mature, it will probably ripen in May and June.  But I start to pick them as some of our spring rains will lead to fruit splitting.  Around May and and June, the Laverne Manila produces edible green immature sour fruits that are edible even around the size of apricots. They lack a strong resin and are edible even small.  Some mangos are not edible as a green sour mango at that small size.  Those manila I dont think are any good when they develop a husky seed and ripe fruits are very aromatic but small and fibrous.  My months where I'm completely out of edible mango is Nov through Jan, ahah.  Hoping to find some local sources of other varieties, my luck with graftong shipped scions from Florida hasn't been too good.  I definitely would like to share/swap various fruits/scions.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: October 25, 2021, 01:06:52 PM »
Interesting that your Maha was done before others. I was under the impression Maha was a very late season tree.

My Valencia looks like it has a at least a couple more weeks on the tree.

My Maha and NDM are early bloomers (late January and February).  They are on a multi-grafted Manila root stock.  My stand-alone NDM tree has consistently bloomed multiple times each year.  It's most likely the location (NE area of the house next to a block wall).  It's October 23 and 1/4 of the tree is blooming again.  It's all about the micro-climates.
<br /><br /><br />image hosting<br />

Groovyfruit

• Redlands, CA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 03, 2021, 01:33:41 AM »
Hi All,
    You all have some very nice SoCal Mango trees around.  For those on this thread, I'm interested in learning more about the soil you use for your In Ground Mango trees.  In particular, I was considering the best way to plant Mango trees into the typical sandy clay that characterizes some Inland Empire or Orange County areas.   Assuming that drainage isn't too big a problem do you tend to plant in (1) straight native sandy clay,  (2) supplement with some percentage of sand / gypsum / pumice, or (3) alter the planting hole some other way?  Also, does the rootstock or variety matter in the decision of your soil choices?

Thanks Ahead.

Eggo

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: November 03, 2021, 01:01:24 PM »
I think most people will add a bit of organic matter and mix it with native soil to amend it. But not too much as you want the roots to not linger only where you added soil but to begin to spread out.  It's probably more important to add a layer of mulch regularly.
More importantly in California it would be the mango rootstock.  There's some good info on this in the earlier messages on this thread.  I have a 15 year old turpentine rootstock tree that is barely cracking 6 ft tall growing in clay soil and a family member of mine has one that is probably 12 years old barely 4 1/2 feet tall growing in very sandy fast draining soil.  Some have mention that the cultivar grafted on these turpentine matters and some varieties do way better.  I don't know what's in the soil/water there in Florida that makes turpentine thrive in Florida and not in California hahah.  I would recommend getting a Laverne Manila they grow very vigorously.  They are easily available at Home Depot and then graft varieties you want onto them. Sometimes Armestrong would carry a Keitt grafted onto a Manila from Laverne also.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 03, 2021, 07:26:49 PM »
Sorry Max I think I should rephrase what I mean by having fruits. I enjoy most of my mangos while green even if it's sweet or sour.  I will occassionally eat them ripe in a bountiful year. I grow mainly 3 varieties.  Nam Doc Mai#4 and Laverne Manila fills my months from Feb through Jun. But again very mild weather here.  NDM#4 blooms 3 sometimes 4 times a year for me but very prone to powdery mildew and fruit split for me.  Currently I have hundreds of fruitlets about 1 to 2 inch in size, they will be ready to eat green and sour around Feb.  And if left to mature, it will probably ripen in May and June.  But I start to pick them as some of our spring rains will lead to fruit splitting.  Around May and and June, the Laverne Manila produces edible green immature sour fruits that are edible even around the size of apricots. They lack a strong resin and are edible even small.  Some mangos are not edible as a green sour mango at that small size.  Those manila I dont think are any good when they develop a husky seed and ripe fruits are very aromatic but small and fibrous.  My months where I'm completely out of edible mango is Nov through Jan, ahah.  Hoping to find some local sources of other varieties, my luck with graftong shipped scions from Florida hasn't been too good.  I definitely would like to share/swap various fruits/scions.

Your fruit cycle is completely different from the norm as you pick the fruits much early and the trees provided multiple crops per year, so it will be tough for us to guess what varieties can fill your need in Nov to Jan.  I didn't know that La Verne Manila fruits have any value but I'm glad you had found the way to enjoy them. In my yard, the latest mango in the season is Lancetilla.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 03, 2021, 10:07:49 PM »
Hi All,
    You all have some very nice SoCal Mango trees around.  For those on this thread, I'm interested in learning more about the soil you use for your In Ground Mango trees.  In particular, I was considering the best way to plant Mango trees into the typical sandy clay that characterizes some Inland Empire or Orange County areas.   Assuming that drainage isn't too big a problem do you tend to plant in (1) straight native sandy clay,  (2) supplement with some percentage of sand / gypsum / pumice, or (3) alter the planting hole some other way?  Also, does the rootstock or variety matter in the decision of your soil choices?

Thanks Ahead.

Sand and clay soil is very different but if you have good drainage, Iím assuming you have sandy soil.

Itís probably best to plant directly into your native soil wether itís sandy or clay. Dig a square hole with sharp corners so the roots donít circle. You can add about 25-50% or more of a good quality top soil but make sure itís just top soil and not mulch or compost. Top soil will generally add a bit of organic matter and may help sandy soil retain moisture.

Plant selection is critical and I highly recommend planting many seedlings from mono and Polyembryonic seeds/fruit. Also plant a couple Home Depot Manilla mangos and plant them directly into the soil and donít graft any of your seedlings until they have developed their scaffold branches.

Simon

Victoria Ave

• Riverside CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 21, 2021, 01:41:07 PM »
Unfortunately I came home today to find my Valencia Pride which was just starting to turn yellow the other day when I left had split on the tree. Luckily it seems to be close to ripe so I covered the split with a bandaid and put it in a paper bag with bananas hopefully I'm a few days it will have a little give and I can enjoy my first properly grown mango!

Reason for the split? I'm guessing it may well be the hot and dry Santa Ana winds we've been having. At the end of summer I switched my irrigation timer from every 4 days to every 7 going off on Sunday. I imagine the hot dry winds this week changed the ETO drastically I should have irrigated a little sooner. But if anyone has any other theories let me know

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 21, 2021, 02:56:30 PM »
Two more of my top tier California seedling first Parson a seedling of Juliette
2nd SA06 a seedling of ppk
Both of these have hit 30 brix with excellent coconuty and citrus flavor

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: November 21, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
Looking delicious JF, our mutual friend agreed that Parson was very good. Hopefully we can sample all these fruit at a future mango tasting. Lots of great seedling selections out there!

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 22, 2021, 08:27:27 PM »
Reason for the split?

I think the cold temp at night. Never seen a band aid used on injured mango before. It's kind of late for VP fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk