Author Topic: Edible tropical mushrooms?  (Read 5409 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Edible tropical mushrooms?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
Who can tell us more about different species, sources, how to cultivate, how to identify, etc?

From the old forum:
Re: Anybody know how to grow mushrooms?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »

I found this page which discusses the attempt to grow mushroom in Samoa. I figure they have similar conditions to here. I am considering trying the species they mention as successful (P. pulmonarius - tropical oyster, Auricularia polytricha - wood ear, Ganoderma lucidum - reishi, and Pleurotus citrinopileatus - golden oyster mushroom):

https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2007/03/01/daisuke-goto-the-first-to-cultivate-mushrooms-in-samoa/

I found multiple kits on Amazon for things such as pink oyster that seemed like they had a good chance of success. I can't recreate cool underground conditions here outdoors, and I don't want fungus growing in my house because it is too much work at the moment to do so in an environment that can be contained and will not cause mold growth in m house, which is a serious problem here in the Keys that can destroy your health and house value.

So I'm not ready to do this yet, but I will look into try some of these in the next year. The problem is that you have to wait so long to know if it was successful or not! But I do know that some mushrooms grow here, since I have some growing on stumps already in my yard. I just don't know how to identify them to be sure what kind they are, and if they are edible.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Edible tropical mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »
mushroomobserver.org to ID.
IDing wild mushrooms always comes with a big warning of you can die if you eat the wrong thing, don't trust online ID.

You can get kits from ebay to start growing them. To do all the stages, you need a sterile lab setup. I mean stray dust particles can be contaminants. See shroomery and mycotopia for cultivation info. Many of the threads are people growing magic mushrooms. Same principle applies to edibles.

Oysters are the easiest to grow. They put out lots of spores and can become a respiratory problem if you keep them inside the house.

It's hard to grow mushroom and plants because the fungus gnats will burrow into fungus and you'll have lots of maggot tunnels inside within a short time.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Thanks for that info!

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:03:57 PM »
As a former professional mycologist, I can tell you that in general it is extremely difficult to get mushrooms to fruit. Growing the mycelium (the "roots") is pretty simple, but getting actual mushrooms is much trickier. It's something you want to do for fun and if it works, great! and if it doesn't, oh, well.

Many people are allergic to mushroom spores and in general, they want damp moist places to live, so I don't think inside the house would be a good idea, unless you have a special room or grow chamber. A greenhouse might work.

If you do try it, please let us know what works for you!

The array of textures and flavors of mushrooms besides the standard grocery store buttons, is wonderful and if you like eating, you will love tasting the different flavors. I myself have never grown them for eating, but just was a wild mushroom forager. The ones I grew in the lab were not the edible kind. The number of incredibly stupid mistakes that can be made by foragers is always astounding to me, but the penalties are high, so caution is advisable.

Erica

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »
Pardon admins and mods

http://www.jmpmushroom.com/

LivingParadise,
There is a list of commonly eaten and cultivated mushrooms on that website (it's a mushroom growing startup in a tropical country) so just ignore the selling products part. I posted that link for the information presented there not the merchandise.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »
http://www.pinoybisnes.com/agri-business/mushroom-production-guide

https://www.profitableplants.com/starting-a-mushroom-growing-business-in-6-easy-steps/

I tried the mushroom fruiting bags method using coir fibers and Lucerne hay and my darkroom slash humidity tent was an old walkin greenhouse the type that flies away at the slightest breeze :D it was okay, the most fussy part of the DIY process was setting up misters to keep the place humid.

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »
I think the second method on this page sorta resembles what I am talking about. If you will be using a walkin or an old lean to greenhouse you can use old clothes drying racks to have a place to hang additional fruiting bags from if you run out of shelf space. I think you guys in the US have a more active free cycle community so you're probably going to have more luck finding free/cheap things to use for your DIY projects compared to my dumpster diving forays back when I was a poor student :)

http://freshcapmushrooms.com/learn/the-fruiting-environment-chosing-a-grow-room-design-for-home-cultivation/

« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:59:22 PM by DimplesLee »

Jessesun

• Jesse
    • Pingxiang, China
    • View Profile
    • CE Environment Technology Co., Ltd
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 02:16:15 AM »
Who can tell us more about different species, sources, how to cultivate, how to identify, etc?

From the old forum:
Re: Anybody know how to grow mushrooms?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 12:22:39 PM »

I found this page which discusses the attempt to grow mushroom in Samoa. I figure they have similar conditions to here. I am considering trying the species they mention as successful (P. pulmonarius - tropical oyster, Auricularia polytricha - wood ear, Ganoderma lucidum - reishi, and Pleurotus citrinopileatus - golden oyster mushroom):

https://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/2007/03/01/daisuke-goto-the-first-to-cultivate-mushrooms-in-samoa/

I found multiple kits on Amazon for things such as pink oyster that seemed like they had a good chance of success. I can't recreate cool underground conditions here outdoors, and I don't want fungus growing in my house because it is too much work at the moment to do so in an environment that can be contained and will not cause mold growth in m house, which is a serious problem here in the Keys that can destroy your health and house value.

So I'm not ready to do this yet, but I will look into try some of these in the next year. The problem is that you have to wait so long to know if it was successful or not! But I do know that some mushrooms grow here, since I have some growing on stumps already in my yard. I just don't know how to identify them to be sure what kind they are, and if they are edible.

The cultivation of edible fungi is different from crops. Instead of using soil, the ground is just a support for cultivation of edible fungi. The edible fungus is cultivated with culture material, and the edible fungus needs to decompose the culture material to build itself. Most of these culture materials are lignocellulosic agricultural and forestry by-products that cannot be directly consumed by humans, such as straw, wood chips, and livestock manure. Although there are many types of edible fungi, the cultivation procedures are basically the same, that is, culture material preparation → sterilization or fermentation → inoculation → fungus (some edible fungi need to be covered with soil) → fruiting (ears) → harvest. Some species only produce one crop, and some can produce several crops.

The methods of cultivating edible fungi mainly include raw material cultivation, fermented material cultivation and clinker cultivation. The so-called raw material cultivation is to add water to the culture material and stir it evenly, and then directly inoculate it without sterilizing or fermenting. Then, under suitable environmental conditions, it will grow and produce mushrooms; fermented material cultivation is to mix various raw materials evenly, according to certain specifications. Build piles, pile up and ferment. When the pile temperature reaches a certain requirement, turn the piles, generally 3 to 5 times, and then inoculate under natural conditions, and grow and produce mushrooms under suitable environmental conditions; clinker cultivation refers to cultivating Put the material into a container of a certain size, usually a plastic bag, and then perform ozone or normal/autoclave sterilization to kill all the organisms in the culture material

Why is it necessary to sterilize the edible fungus cultivation process?
1. Eliminate miscellaneous bacteria and increase production
2. Prevent deformity and beautify appearance
3. Anticorrosion and freshness preservation, storage and transportation

What is the process of edible fungus clinker cultivation?
1. Culture material configuration
2. Disinfection and sterilization
3. Seed selection/inoculation
4. Bacteria culture
5. Fruiting
6. Harvesting and preservation

1. Culture material configuration
The culture material is mainly birch wood chips as the best, with cotton seed husks, soybean stalks, corn cobs, etc. Supplemented with wheat bran, rice bran, and added trace elements. The raw materials are fresh, dry, and without mold and deterioration, which are the basis for success.
For the preparation of the culture material, first mix and mix the required raw materials (sawdust, wheat bran, gypsum) thoroughly according to the proportions, and then pour the added trace elements into the water to dissolve and add to the material. Repeated stirring for many times to make the material dry and wet Evenly, the agglomerates should be broken up, and pay attention to adding them.
White lime (adjust the pH of the culture material to about 7-7.5). When edible fungi grows mycelium, it needs a suitable pH. The most suitable pH range for mycelial growth is PH5-6. Although this is the case, but When actually cultivating mushrooms, it is not the pH value, but the pH value of the formula is controlled at 7-7.5. So why is this? Just to reduce the growth of miscellaneous bacteria, this kind of alkaline environment is not suitable for the growth of miscellaneous bacteria, and the influence of edible fungi is not great. What is the amount of white ash added in the formula? How to add it? In fact, it’s not that complicated. Our goal is to make the pH of the medium reach the range of PH7-7.5, not just how much to add, so it’s not accurate. It's okay. (It is also possible to reversely determine the amount of white ash by measuring the pH value of the bacteria bag after autoclaving, provided that the source of the white ash is fixed)

2. Disinfection and sterilization
Autoclave sterilization: After the edible fungus bag material is put into the steaming bin, pour enough water into the pot, and pour a certain amount of boiled or warm water every hour in the middle. Do not inject cold water to avoid lowering the temperature to affect the sterilization effect. The bag material should be discharged into the warehouse reasonably, and there should be an air channel to make the steam unblocked and the bag material to be heated evenly to avoid dead spots caused by sterilization. The firepower must "attack the head, protect the tail, and control the middle", that is, at the beginning, the fire will be violently attacked, so that the bag temperature can reach 100 ℃ within 4 hours, and prevent certain high temperature resistant bacteria from breeding and multiplying in the bag. Then control the temperature and keep it for about 10 hours. Be sure to pay attention to the phenomenon of "big heads, small tails, and loose ends", which will lead to a loss of success, incomplete sterilization, resulting in deterioration of sterilization quality, waste of raw materials and economic losses. In the sterilization process, to prevent the steam chamber from leaking, you can use cotton flowers, cloth pieces, plastic films and other objects to plug the loopholes or packages. After the sterilization is completed, the warehouse will be released after 24 hours.

3. Selection and inoculation of high-quality strains
Choose high-quality, high-yielding, and high-resistant strains that are suitable for local growth. It is strictly forbidden to use inferior strains that are contaminated by impurities, signs of pests, and degraded and aging. Strict vaccination procedures to ensure the success rate of vaccination. The inoculation room must be clean, dry, airtight, and far away from pollution sources. The sterilized bacteria bag or bottle enters the inoculation room. The inoculation room should be disinfected in advance. Vaccination tools and hands of the vaccinators should be disinfected with 75% alcohol. The inoculation should be rapid and accurate, and the amount of inoculation should not be too small.
Disinfection method: ozone/ultraviolet/medicament
Ozone disinfection of inoculation room: The inoculation room uses an ozone machine to disinfect the air in contact with the room three days before inoculation, the concentration of ozone disinfection is 10-15ppm, and the time is 1 hour.

Four, hair culture
Place the inoculated bacteria bag or bottle into the culture room, and adjust the environmental temperature. The culture room should be clean, ventilated and dry. The room temperature should be controlled at about 20-25°C and the relative humidity about 70% (depending on the species). When the mycelium grows to about 5-10cm, the bag can be turned over for inspection. The contaminated bag should be eliminated in time, and the position of the bacterial bag should be adjusted to facilitate ventilation. When the mycelium is half of the length, the bag should be turned over and checked again. No light is needed during the entire growth phase.
1. When the mycelium begins to grow, some small holes should be pierced around the mycelium with a needle so that oxygen can enter to facilitate the growth of the mycelium.
2. Use ozone gas to sterilize the culture room for 1 hour every day in the bacteria culture room (the concentration of ozone should reach 10ppm or above)

Five, Rufang fruiting
After months of vegetative growth, the bacteria bag or bottle will be transformed into reproductive growth. The hyphae will become kinked and tumor-like protrusions. When they reach physiological maturity, they must move the bacteria room into the fruiting shed. Due to environmental conditions, cultivation time, and growth The fruiting time is also different due to the influence of different factors such as bacteria temperature and variety. The shed temperature must be within the suitable growth temperature range to produce the mushrooms. Entering into the shed is generally carried out in the morning and evening on a sunny day. The high temperature at noon is not suitable. The high temperature will damage the skin and delay or reduce the fruiting. Never enter the shed on rainy days. Rain will pollute the surface of the bacterial bag and cause the bag to rot. The bacteria bags are arranged side by side on each layer of the shelf, and the interval between the bags is 5-6cm to facilitate breathing and heat dissipation. An environmental condition for mushrooming must be created to ensure smooth mushrooming.
Mushroom shed disinfection: Use ozone gas to disinfect the cultivation room for 1 hour every day (the concentration of ozone should reach 10ppm or above)

6. Edible fungus harvesting and ozone preservation
Timely harvest and sales, harvesting too early affects production, and too late affects quality and price. Timely harvesting is a prerequisite for quality assurance. When the fruit body has grown to the point where the cap has not been expanded, the edges are still curled inward, the meat is plump, and the flavor is strong, the quality is the best, and it should be harvested in time.
After the edible fungus is harvested, it should be placed in an ozone-sterilized warehouse. The ozone-sterilized warehouse can keep the edible fungus fresh and prolong the fresh-keeping cycle of the edible fungus.
Mushroom warehouse disinfection: use ozone gas to disinfect the warehouse for 1 hour every day (the concentration of ozone should reach 2ppm or above)

Remarks: How to calculate the dosage of ozone machine or ozone system for ozone space disinfection (the concentration of ozone in the air is 1ppm=2.14mg/m3)
1. The hourly decay rate in ozone air is 61% (changes to oxygen)
2. The working efficiency of the ozone generator is 75%
3. The volume of the space is V
4. The requirement of sterilization ozone concentration is B

Then the hourly ozone generator or ozone system output A=VxB/75% (1-61%), the measurement standard of ozone sterilization is the CT value, C is the ozone concentration, and T is the retention time after the ozone concentration reaches the standard. The ozone system can be designed according to the size and demand of ozone consumption, such as air compressors, filters, refrigeration dryers, gas storage tanks, adsorption dryers, oxygen generators, ozone machines, pipelines, etc.
Jesse
CE Environment Technology Co., Ltd
Email: jesse@ceenvironment.com http://www.ceenvironment.com
Add: 610-2 Room, Guangfeng Mansion 118#, Suzhou East Street,Pingxiang, province China