Author Topic: Strange citrus hybrid  (Read 2964 times)

guadua

• USA, Florida, Loxahatchee 10a
    • View Profile
Strange citrus hybrid
« on: May 29, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
So I work on a 60,000 acre wildlife management area that has a lot of history. It has wild citrus growing all over the site. Sometimes I wonder if some of the fruit can date back to when the Spanish first arrived, as the area was inhabited by Native Americans as far back as 500 BC. There have been citrus groves in the area in the past too, so I'm sure hunters and hikers may have spit out a seed or two at one point. I found this lemon growing in what is known as Big Mound City. It has a zipper skin and the inner segments are easily separated like a mandarin. I was just wondering if anyone has seen a citrus fruit like it before? I also came across a small mandarin that has amazing flavor, but it is quite seedy. Most of the fruits I find are sour oranges or small round kumquat like fruits.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Strange citrus hybrid
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 02:39:49 AM »
Looks like it could be a hybrid between lemon and orange, or maybe between Meyer lemon and grapefruit perhaps, or Satsuma mandarin and grapefruit.
What does it taste like? What type of citrus are growing in the vicinity?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 02:44:54 AM by SoCal2warm »

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
It had a strong bitter lemon taste with hints of a madarin smell. I was thinking it may be ponderosa lemon mixed with something. The large majority of fruit in the area are sour orange, but most of the trees were fruitless and I could not make an ID. The sour orange usually look a lot like a valencia orange, no zipper skin. I did find a tree that I didn't photograph that looked like a Meyer lemon. It wa loaded with large pink/white flowers and had green fruits of varying sizes.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »
Perhaps a meyer lemon(not true to seed) hybrid. I've tasted a sweet meyer lemon seedling that
tastes like a bloomsweet grapefruit.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:18:57 PM »
It had a strong bitter lemon taste with hints of a madarin smell. The large majority of fruit in the area are sour orange, but most of the trees were fruitless and I could not make an ID.
It's probably a sour orange x mandarin then, where the mandarin had zipper skin. Sometimes sour oranges can have that type of exterior that looks like a lemon but one would typically not expect a hybrid with mandarin to be so yellow.

Common lemons originally came from hybridization between citron and sour orange, which may explain why the fruit looks so reminiscent of a lemon.
I recently had the opportunity to try sour orange for the first time and it was very fragrant, the fragrance was comparable to lemon. Part of the smell is comparable to orange blossoms and pomelo, but also with the tanginess of orange peel. The bitterness is not terrible; I can enjoy eating one or two of the little fruits out of hand, although they are not very sweet and don't have a huge amount of flavor, though what subtle flavor they do seem to have is good, apart from the slight amount of bitterness.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 03:34:52 PM »
Looks to me exactly like a Rough Lemon, Citrus jambhiri, and I think the taste and description fits too.
Rough Lemon was commonly used as a rootstock for other citrus.

Sylvain

• Bergerac, France
    • View Profile
    • Looking for Wakonai.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
I totally agree.

guadua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »
Thanks citrange !

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:42 AM »
Rough Lemon is a hybrid between citron and mandarin.