Author Topic: looking for Samoan/Fiji Dwarf coconut and brown dwarf coconut  (Read 2326 times)

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
Hello everyone,

I am a coconut aficionado.  I have many colors and varieties.  Someone from Hawaii sent me a "Samoan" but its looking more like a tall as it grows so I am thinking it got cross pollinated with a tall and will not be a true Somoan dwarf.

If anyone has any or knows where I can obtain a Samoan aka Fiji dwarf coconut, I would be much obliged.

I am also looking for a brown dwarf.  This would complete my collection (except for a macapuno).

Thanks

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: looking for Samoan/Fiji Dwarf coconut and brown dwarf coconut
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
Romney Farms in Homestead has them but I don't think they ship.

I think Oscar (Fruitlovers) has them also. I'm not sure if he ships whole coconuts.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »
I grabbed a couple of Fijian Dwar/Samoan coconut trees from someone from the South Florida Palm Society who was helping with a membership drive at the USDA research center. think they were $25 each. You might want to try contacting them to see if you can have one shipped, or if they can direct you to someone who can. Pretty sure these are the real deal. Good luck!

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
I grabbed a couple of Fijian Dwar/Samoan coconut trees from someone from the South Florida Palm Society who was helping with a membership drive at the USDA research center. think they were $25 each. You might want to try contacting them to see if you can have one shipped, or if they can direct you to someone who can. Pretty sure these are the real deal. Good luck!

I bought my original "Fiji Dwarf" from someone from the South Florida Palm Society and it ended up not being the correct thing. I think the person was actually a past president too if I remember correctly.

I would stick with Romney Farms because they keep everything isolated and then they are able to tell if it's correct based on the color of the growth.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
hmmm, sounds like the same guy. I've got some kind of palm trees growing around here, who knows what they are.

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »

I bought my original "Fiji Dwarf" from someone from the South Florida Palm Society and it ended up not being the correct thing. I think the person was actually a past president too if I remember correctly.

I would stick with Romney Farms because they keep everything isolated and then they are able to tell if it's correct based on the color of the growth.
+

What should the color of the growth be.  The one I had ordered from Hawaii has orange on the rib of the fronds.  This is what makes me think its not a true Samoan/Fiji.  I think the rib color should be green if it was true right?

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 11:34:55 PM »
Contact Jack he goes by the name Coconut here. He has them that's where I got mine from.

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »
Thanks Sedation.  I had sent him a Pm a couple weeks ago but never heard back.  He seems like a busy guy and hard to get a hold of.  Love his posts on this forum though!

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 02:11:03 AM »
Coconuts greatly vary. I have many young dwarf trees and they are all the colors of the rainbow. I may even have the variegate. Growth patterns and age can only tell.
Biodiversity is key.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk