Author Topic: Tebow Mango Surprise  (Read 2265 times)

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Tebow Mango Surprise
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »
So I tasted my first Tebow Mango today. What a surprise. The taste is very light and refreshing. But the real treat was the texture; it was like silk/custard. Really unique. The look and the feel of the unopened fruit is also soft and pleasing. It's just such a unique mango. I assume due to its parents it will want to grow large. Has anybody had any experience in keeping this tree sub-12 Feet ????

Jon

fruitloopy

• USA,FL,Stuart, 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Tebow Mango Surprise
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:14:47 PM »
I have a 7' one.  Small, is really the best way to keep mango trees.  A Tebow is actually a Young.  They just renamed it. There are better ones out there but if you like it.....Sweet tart, Beverly,   Venus ....1000 cultivars.  I grow 9.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:14 AM »
Just had my first Tebow also. The fruit was quite good, but didn't notice anything special about the texture. What was special was the size of the seed, very small and round. The tree is not a good bearer, at least here, made very few fruits.
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:01:24 AM »
Just had my first Tebow also. The fruit was quite good, but didn't notice anything special about the texture. What was special was the size of the seed, very small and round. The tree is not a good bearer, at least here, made very few fruits.

Will probably give you one amazing playoff fruit and then stop producing altogether.
- Rob

AlwaysHotinFL

• Lakeland, FL Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
+1 to Rob. Brilliant.

Though I for one like Tebow (the man) a lot. Haven't tasted the variety.
-Casey

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 05:25:07 PM »

Will probably give you one amazing playoff fruit and then stop producing altogether.

Nice Rob.
I will add only if you cut it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 01:50:48 AM »

HAHA, i got all off 2 fruits of the tree.
Oscar

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »

I've noticed a lot of variation between the same cultivar when it comes to mangos and unlike what most people would say, it doesn't have anything to do with the stage at which you pick them.  I've had carrie's that are vastly different, as well as malika, irwin, glenn, and possibly a few others.  They tend to vary from tree to tree or location to location. I tasted my Tebow from  Pine Island Nursery tree, so should I decide to plant one, I will get one grafted from their tree. And yes, Tebow is the new or alternate name for Young.