Author Topic: Avocado for Florida Treasure Coast  (Read 2704 times)

sidney

• Port St Lucie Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Avocado for Florida Treasure Coast
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
I want to add another avocado to my yard . I live in zone9b. Currently I have three others: Lila, Day and Oro Negro. We have a problem in Florida with the ambrosia beetle killing avocados so I want to hedge my bet by having several. So far the Lula is the only one bearing but I find the fruit bland. Suggestions would be appreciated.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado for Florida Treasure Coast
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:21:28 PM »
Lula bland?  Do you have Lula or Lila?

Lula is one I would consider,  along with Wurtz, Catalina, Pollock, Simmonds...but some of these may be dependent on your microclimate.
- Rob

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Bland, well  it was the first year, bound to get better.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Are you considering Monroe or some other old workhorse?

My gripe with Lula was huge seed to flesh ration.  It was not a huge success in my yard.  Top worked with Oro Negro from Carlos.
Have you checked out his website?  You may get some good info from there.
His website is www.myavocadotrees.com
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:36:30 PM by Orkine »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »

My gripe with Lula was huge seed to flesh ration.  It was not a huge success in my yard.  Top worked with Oro Negro from Carlos.

I dont choose fruit by flesh to seed ratio.  I go for quality and taste (sic Sweet Tart).  Lula is a very late season 'cado that truly has excellent eating quality.   

IMO, both Oro Negro and Monroe are subpar 'cados in terms of flavor.  Wouldnt grow them or choose to eat them.

Also keep in mind, Carlos has a distinct soil composition  (different than Palm Beach County or the Treasure Coast) and he is growing and really reviewing for commercial purposes (which is fine but the backyard grower is not growing for that reason).
- Rob

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »
I like to see Pinkerton growing north of me (Homestead)  in a lower PH soil. I think it will do well. It is an October early December fruit 8-10 oz but great flavor., long shelve life and good production. As added benefit the tree is staying small.  Is the only avocado that grows in California that does relatively well in Florida and I think it will do better a bit north
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »
Gets to cold here for these three Catalina, Pollock, Simmonds
Mike

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 09:23:51 PM »
I like to see Pinkerton growing north of me (Homestead)  in a lower PH soil. I think it will do well. It is an October early December fruit 8-10 oz but great flavor., long shelve life and good production. As added benefit the tree is staying small.  Is the only avocado that grows in California that does relatively well in Florida and I think it will do better a bit north

They do seem to stay small and they do have a good strong avocado flavor and oil content.
Brad Spaugh

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »

I dont choose fruit by flesh to seed ratio.  I go for quality and taste (sic Sweet Tart).  Lula is a very late season 'cado that truly has excellent eating quality.   

IMO, both Oro Negro and Monroe are subpar 'cados in terms of flavor.  Wouldn't grow them or choose to eat them.

Also keep in mind, Carlos has a distinct soil composition  (different than Palm Beach County or the Treasure Coast) and he is growing and really reviewing for commercial purposes (which is fine but the backyard grower is not growing for that reason).
Didn't enjoy eating the Lula either and more importantly neither did the mrs.  It was beheaded (ok top worked) and now proudly calls itself oro negro.  No fruit yet, perhaps next year.
I stayed away from commenting on taste/flavor because it is relative.  Some like it oily some not.  I wouldn't take a free Lula, that's how unfavorable the experience was.  The thin flesh was the last straw and that is completely objective, hence my comment.

Without hijacking the topic, how do I get to taste a sweat tart?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »
Since I dont kniw the details, and yes, tastes are subjective,  people (not necessarily you) are too quick to get rid if trees based on taste of one fruit or fruit off very young tree (sometimes first crops).  With that said, good luck with the Oro Negro...for me, it is less appealing than its oarent the Monroe (which is unallealing to me too).  Again,  tastes are subjective.

As to Sweet Tart,  try contacting Alex (Squam) at Tropical Acres to see if he has or will have any fruit for sale.
- Rob

TucsonKen

• USA, AZ, Tucson, zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • KEN STOCKTON Southwest Landscape Artist
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Some of the best avocados I've ever eaten were Lulas I had shipped to me just so I could use the seeds to grow rootstocks. The great-tasting flesh was a welcome bonus. In my experience, fruit flavor and quality can vary greatly with tree age and local growing conditions. For example, I've read negative reports from growers in California about Mexicola Grande, but a nursery owner a few miles from my house gets great fruit from his two trees. It's good to get other peoples' opinions as long as you realize that your own experience may be different.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 04:41:58 PM »

Guanajuato Red

sidney

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
Well,on the advice of our local nursery man I selected the Brogdon. Also I bought a guava at Walmart and the tag shows a picture of a pink meat variety but no specific name and the label is from Pine Island Nursery. Any idea of the variety?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk