Author Topic: Fruits that mature during winter time in Caribbean  (Read 1846 times)

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
Fruits that mature during winter time in Caribbean
« on: July 17, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
So down here in the Caribbean we are in the midst of our yearly fruit bonanza.  All kinds of awesome fresh fruit available.

I would like to add some fruits to my collection that would be available during the winter time.  I believe starfruit is one that will sometimes be around in winter. 

What are some other types fruits that produce in the tropical "winter" season?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:54:19 AM by Tang Tonic »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Fruits that mature during winter time in Caribbean
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »
Salak produces until February.  The right Jakfruit and breadfruit varieties, Citrus. Cacao has a production peak in November/December. 

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:05:57 PM »
Hi Tang do you grow many of the carribean endemics?

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:40:06 PM »
Hi Druss,

Yes sure do grow many "typical" Caribbbean fruits although not sure they would be classified as endemic.

Soursop, Breadfruit, Banana, Mango, Barbados Cherry, Surinam Cherry etc etc etc

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
Do you come across any wild eugenia/manilkara sp? Or possibly annona trinitensis /ekmanii?

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »
Yes most definitely!

I have a wild Eugenia on my property which right now has some nice red berries on it.  It could be white stopper, not sure. 

Then there is Guavaberry (Myrciaria floribunda) although technically not a Eugenia.  It is highly regarded here and makes a wonderful rum.  A 5 gallon bucket of this fruit will fetch $500 easily. 

We also have a type of Eugenia here called "bunch berry."  At least that's what they call it in the Bush Skills class my son takes at: www.mtvictorycamp.com  This Eugenia grows in the understrory of our wetter parts of the island.  The wood is very hard and beautiful.  In the Bush Skills class they cut the trees down (leaving the stumps so they can grow back), strip the bark and use the poles for building shelters.  Burn the part that goes into the ground fiurst and they last a long time.  The mother in law tongue grass (Sansevieria trifasciata) and a type of mallow are beaten to make cordage and used as lashings for the poles.  Then Royal Palm husks are used for the roof.  Makes a sturdy, element-proof shelter that will last for awhile.

If anyone has an interest (or has kids with an interest) in learning primitive skills in an awesome tropical environment, I highly recommend the folks at the Mt. Victory camp.  Awesome people who studied under the master Tom Brown.   

Some other things unique to the Caribbean: Gooseberry wine, sea grape wine, Mama Juana (real big in DR), Mauby drink made from the bark of the Mauby tree.

We have a festival every few months down town.  This lady comes in her beat up pickup loaded with coconut and sugar cane.  She presses the sugar cane right there and then mixes the cane juice with fresh coconut water.   The combination is so good!  If you want to reinforce it, she has her arsenal of a bar too so you can get all kind of different rum or other libations added in- just be careful she's a bit heavy handed on those libations. 

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:47:56 PM »
Provided there is enough water, you can add strawberry tree and sapodilla to those listed so far...