Author Topic: regrow pineapple  (Read 1146 times)

ExoticJenny

• Poland
    • View Profile
regrow pineapple
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:57:25 AM »
Yesterday I watched a movie that was associated with regrowing fruits/vegetables. I saw there easy hacks for regrowing an. onion, lettuce, pineapple and garlic from scraps. Pineapple thing interested me and I was confused if it is really possible? It is about cutting the top of pineapple, leaving it in water for few days and then putting into pot. Have you ever done something like that? Was it successful?

coyote

• US, Wisconsin, Madison, Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: regrow pineapple
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
Yes, it is very common to propagate pineapples from their tops...I will post a wikihow below...I would only dry for two or three days and I would skip the toothpicks, but otherwise this is an ok basic guide

https://www.wikihow.com/Grow-a-Pineapple

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
I have gown about 100 tops from store-bought fruits into plants. It helps to start with the freshest tops which have not been subjected to chilling injury or rot.
About 1/2 of my tops rot out at the center but about 1/2 of those have adventitious buds around the root zone which can sprout multiple small suckers and will grow out and be separated. Once growing well and given good conditions a top could fruit in 1.5-2 years.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 02:01:44 AM »
So far I've had 100% success rooting and growing dozens store bought tops (and am now into second generation tops from store top plants)  into producing pineapple plants. It takes from a week to ten days for them to root.

Regards,

Gary

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 10:20:07 AM »
i am growing 3 different kinds of pineapple